Marshall Hall Meet and Greet 3/11/17

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GSMOSS9 View Post
    I would have loved to come but since I am pretty new to kayaking, I have not gotten a drysuit. Any suggestions on a dry suit that is warm or a dry combo? Just not too pricey

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Also if you really want to go but can't get waders/drytop, or a drysuit in time, I would certainly let you borrow my backup set of waders and a drytop. They go unused now that I have my suit. Just let me know a few days in advance, since I don't normally bring them. The waders are size large with size 12 feet, and the drytop is a size large as well.

Comment

Originally posted by yakscientist View Post
      Yeah many people go with the waders/dry top combo, that's what I used to do until I got my drysuit, a kokatat hydrus 3L. I got it on sale for $500, which is not cheap, but about 100 less than usual. Most decent suits run from 450-600, then your Gore-Tex ones are in the 800-1000 range. Ebay is a good source to find used, or overstock drysuits at cheaper prices, but you might not get the same factory warranty. Warranties for most suits are 1-3 years, but mine, and the higher priced ones above mine, have lifetime warranties from kokatat. But like I said before, I used to use a set of cabelas insulated waders, tightly belted, with a drytop overtop, with a second belt, just in case. Drytops aren't too pricey, you could probably find one used on ebay for 50. Another thing to consider is mythic drysuits, a lower priced entry model drysuit. The main advantage IMO of drysuits, is that they have the option (more like necessity) of relief zippers. My fishing trips are at minimum an hour drive, so I'm always sucking down coffee on the way, and on the water, the relief zipper comes in handy, sometimes many times. Otherwise, you're just holding it for the whole time you're fishing, or having to paddle to shore to take a leak.

Comment

I'll be there. Will probably eat lunch as well. Hope the weather cooperates.
        Gregory
        ​Ain't Misbehavin'
        2014 Pro Angler 12
        '

Comment

I plan to be there for fishing. What is everyone bringing for bait? I have some chicken, and plan to pick up some worms Friday. Just wondering if it would be worth it to try for some bluegill fishing this week for bait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Desert Camo- Moken 14
          Tan- Tarpon 140

Comment

Night crawlers and cut bait- oily fish works best for cut bait- chicken livers always work but is hard to keep on the hook...the weather looks like it will cooperate Saturday...
            "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
            2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
            "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
            Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Yeah I tend not to bring chicken livers anymore since they're so sloppy and stinky, but they tend to be good bait. Like I said earlier, the best baits for me in that area have been nightcrawlers and chicken breast. But I will have shrimp with me, since I've had luck with it in the past but not at Marshall hall. Hot dogs work too. Lots of choices, we will narrow it down once we figure out what's catching and share if need be.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Comment

Bait the livers on the hook. Stick in an ice tray, eyelet on the hook up, top off with remaining juice/blood and freeze for 24 hours. Keep them in a cooler with some ice and go fishing. Just tie on to the hook eyelet.
                2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

Originally posted by Steve6902 View Post
                  Bait the livers on the hook. Stick in an ice tray, eyelet on the hook up, top off with remaining juice/blood and freeze for 24 hours. Keep them in a cooler with some ice and go fishing. Just tie on to the hook eyelet.
                  Pro tip indeed. For the record though, I've never caught bluecats in Marshall hall with livers. My luck though, and that'll be the ticket this go around

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Comment

I will be there for fishing and lunch.
                    Jim

Hobie Outback
                    TKAA member
                    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers inc.

Everyone should believe in something... I believe I'll go fishing.

Comment

Thanks to all of you who were able to help me with the dry suit question. I will definitely start a real search for a decent suit. I wish you all well this Saturday and tight lines.

Comment

Well, I guess I should have checked the calendar first. Looks like I won't be able to make it Saturday. I hope the weather holds out for you all and the fish are biting.
                        Jim

Hobie Outback
                        TKAA member
                        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers inc.

Everyone should believe in something... I believe I'll go fishing.

Comment

Originally posted by GSMOSS9 View Post
                          Thanks to all of you who were able to help me with the dry suit question. I will definitely start a real search for a decent suit. I wish you all well this Saturday and tight lines.

They are not cheap. Carefully consider how much you will be using it and if it is worth the investment. I considered one and still would like to have one but I am just not that much of a cold weather fisherman. I find the dry top waders to get me into as much of the early and late seasons that I want for the fishing that I do. This Marshall Hall trip is usually about the earliest I get out and I feel fairly confident in my drytop/waders and just think a drysuit would be a waste for me.

Don't get me wrong if you are going to be any serious amount of cold water fishing or even a little if alone, get one, your life may depend on it. If cold averse like me and only plan on going a few times a year or with others in any cold water situation you may want to consider the wader/drysuit combo. The right setup stays surprisingly dry and there are some videos bouncing around showing the set up being tested.

Comment

http://www.snaggedline.com/showthrea...orplay-dot-com
                            2016 Hobie Mirage Outback Olive
                            LOWRANCE Hook7

Comment

Shrimp works good for cat fish as well. Just let them sit out for a couple of hours first. Also an offset circle hook is best for cats. We use to run bushbobs on the upper Potomac in my younger days. And by Upper Potomac, I mean past Hancock.
                              2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

I *might* be in for lunch, it will be a game-time decision as I have a commitment in the morning which may run longer than expected.
                                Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Working...
                                X