Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Marshall Hall Meet and Greet 3/11/17

I won't be able to make this one, I had an unexpected change of plans. Hope the weather's nice!
    Jake

Quote Originally Posted by Jman View Post
    I won't be able to make this one, I had an unexpected change of plans. Hope the weather's nice!
    They are calling for snow as of now.

I would have loved to come but since I am pretty new to kayaking, I have not gotten a drysuit. Any suggestions on a dry suit that is warm or a dry combo? Just not too pricey

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

A lot of Kayakers use stocking foot breathable waders and a dry top...and long John insulated underwear
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Outback
    "Ugly Duckling" 2010 Olive Hobie Outback
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13

Yeah many people go with the waders/dry top combo, that's what I used to do until I got my drysuit, a kokatat hydrus 3L. I got it on sale for $500, which is not cheap, but about 100 less than usual. Most decent suits run from 450-600, then your Gore-Tex ones are in the 800-1000 range. Ebay is a good source to find used, or overstock drysuits at cheaper prices, but you might not get the same factory warranty. Warranties for most suits are 1-3 years, but mine, and the higher priced ones above mine, have lifetime warranties from kokatat. But like I said before, I used to use a set of cabelas insulated waders, tightly belted, with a drytop overtop, with a second belt, just in case. Drytops aren't too pricey, you could probably find one used on ebay for 50. Another thing to consider is mythic drysuits, a lower priced entry model drysuit. The main advantage IMO of drysuits, is that they have the option (more like necessity) of relief zippers. My fishing trips are at minimum an hour drive, so I'm always sucking down coffee on the way, and on the water, the relief zipper comes in handy, sometimes many times. Otherwise, you're just holding it for the whole time you're fishing, or having to paddle to shore to take a leak.

Quote Originally Posted by GSMOSS9 View Post
    I would have loved to come but since I am pretty new to kayaking, I have not gotten a drysuit. Any suggestions on a dry suit that is warm or a dry combo? Just not too pricey

Also if you really want to go but can't get waders/drytop, or a drysuit in time, I would certainly let you borrow my backup set of waders and a drytop. They go unused now that I have my suit. Just let me know a few days in advance, since I don't normally bring them. The waders are size large with size 12 feet, and the drytop is a size large as well.

Quote Originally Posted by yakscientist View Post
    Yeah many people go with the waders/dry top combo, that's what I used to do until I got my drysuit, a kokatat hydrus 3L. I got it on sale for $500, which is not cheap, but about 100 less than usual. Most decent suits run from 450-600, then your Gore-Tex ones are in the 800-1000 range. Ebay is a good source to find used, or overstock drysuits at cheaper prices, but you might not get the same factory warranty. Warranties for most suits are 1-3 years, but mine, and the higher priced ones above mine, have lifetime warranties from kokatat. But like I said before, I used to use a set of cabelas insulated waders, tightly belted, with a drytop overtop, with a second belt, just in case. Drytops aren't too pricey, you could probably find one used on ebay for 50. Another thing to consider is mythic drysuits, a lower priced entry model drysuit. The main advantage IMO of drysuits, is that they have the option (more like necessity) of relief zippers. My fishing trips are at minimum an hour drive, so I'm always sucking down coffee on the way, and on the water, the relief zipper comes in handy, sometimes many times. Otherwise, you're just holding it for the whole time you're fishing, or having to paddle to shore to take a leak.

I'll be there. Will probably eat lunch as well. Hope the weather cooperates.
    Gregory
    ​Ain't Misbehavin'
    2014 Pro Angler 12
    '

I plan to be there for fishing. What is everyone bringing for bait? I have some chicken, and plan to pick up some worms Friday. Just wondering if it would be worth it to try for some bluegill fishing this week for bait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Desert Camo- Moken 14
    Tan- Tarpon 140

Night crawlers and cut bait- oily fish works best for cut bait- chicken livers always work but is hard to keep on the hook...the weather looks like it will cooperate Saturday...
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Outback
    "Ugly Duckling" 2010 Olive Hobie Outback
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13