Two uncommon species

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two uncommon species

I am halfway through one of my frequent kayak fishing trips in Tampa with guide Neil Taylor of Strike Three Kayak fishing. Over the past two days I caught 42 speckled trout, 16 ladyfish, a gag grouper, 2 sea robins, and a flounder. I also caught several two uncommon species -- a striped burrfish (a spiny looking pufferfish -- my second one ever), and a remora (this is a new species for me). Remoras have a large suction pad on top of their heads. They attach to larger fish and are transported around that way.

All fish were caught on lures -- either by jigging or by casting soft plastics. Some of the photos show the jigging setup with a small yellow metal jig and a pink fly teaser tied on the same loop knot. I am looking forward to two more days of fishing here.

IMGP0002.jpg IMGP0003.jpg IMGP0006.jpg IMGP0007.jpg IMGP0008.jpg
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Congrats John! That Remora looks really cool. It looks similar to a cobia.
    J

Comment

I didn't know remoras were so big.

That fish you caught would require a large host.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Interesting catch
        D Hawk
        Green Malibu X-Factor stolen dream
        Sand Malibu X-Factor The replacement

Comment

Very cool catch... I tried to identify before I read your description and was unsuccessful. The Remora does look similar to a Cobia Jman

Comment

Nice work, John! And like zarddog said, it does look like a cobia except with a shoe print on its head. Very jealous!

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
              I didn't know remoras were so big.

That fish you caught would require a large host.
              Yep. Commonly caught with Cobia- especially on the Gulf Coast- start casting a big yellow surgical rubber tube- Cobia candy...
              "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
              2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
              "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
              Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Cool looking fishes... can you handle the puffer?
                2015 Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Here's one my buddy caught in FL last December:

I.jpg J.jpg

It's in his right hand in the first photo. Looks like a softball with mud on the side. It swam away immediately after the photo.
                  Mark
                  Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                  Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                  Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

The fish that Mark shows is the standard pufferfish. We often catch them in Tampa Bay. The one I showed above is slightly larger with 1" long spines -- a striped burrfish. Their spines are rigid, but not sharp or poisonous, I was able to handle the fish without any issues. My guide, Neil Taylor, caught one of them today.
                    John Veil
                    Annapolis
                    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
                      I am halfway through one of my frequent kayak fishing trips in Tampa with guide Neil Taylor of Strike Three Kayak fishing. Over the past two days I caught 42 speckled trout, 16 ladyfish, a gag grouper, 2 sea robins, and a flounder. I also caught several two uncommon species -- a striped burrfish (a spiny looking pufferfish -- my second one ever), and a remora (this is a new species for me). Remoras have a large suction pad on top of their heads. They attach to larger fish and are transported around that way.

All fish were caught on lures -- either by jigging or by casting soft plastics. Some of the photos show the jigging setup with a small yellow metal jig and a pink fly teaser tied on the same loop knot. I am looking forward to two more days of fishing here.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20980[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]20981[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]20982[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]20983[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]20984[/ATTACH]
                      I just came across this post John. Very interesting catches!

Funny Fact: Years ago I used to live in NW Florida and would fish the Gulf in my powerboat. I would often catch remoras. The first time I caught one, my friend, who was a local, insisted I had to attach the remora to my arm! Apparently, it's a tradition. Being a young male, highly susceptible to peer pressure, and not wanting to back down from a challenge I (reluctantly) acquiesced.
                      I rolled up my sleeve and my buddy slapped the suction part of the remora up against the highest point of arm (where the shoulder joint meets the arm). And sure enough, the remora just hung there! It didn't hurt, but it certainly felt weird.
                      A few pictures later, and the remora went back into the water.

So my question to you is: Are you a young male highly susceptible to peer pressure? If so, next time slap that fish right on there!
                      -manny

Hobie Outback
                      Wilderness Systems 130T
                      Hobie Outfitter

Comment

Working...
                      X