Thread: First 10 Togs of 2017 (CBBT, Feb 24, 2017)

Default First 10 Togs of 2017 (CBBT, Feb 24, 2017)

There is nothing like catching togs in February!

Because of the warm winter, I checked the water temp around Virginia Beach for 3 weeks. The top water temp had been 45-46 F at the bridge tunnel for few weeks. The water temp was higher than usual. I thought some togs had been active in the 45-46 F water. So I pick a calm day (Feb 24, 2017), went for tautog.

It was a well-executed day. I picked 5 sets of bridge pilings (two between the 1st and 2nd SBC (small boat channel), and 3 between the 2nd SBC and the First Island). Between 8 AM and 11:30 AM, I picked the pilings according to the incoming and out-going tides). I caught togs at all 5 pilings.

I caught 1 toadfish. Missed few tog bites. 3 togs got away. I landed 10 togs. The large ones were 16”, 16”, 16.5” and 17”.

I saw a whale for the first time about a mile from the shore by the bridge. It was unusual to me.
    Also I went to Rudee and fished for puppy drum in the afternoon. I caught a 9” speck and two small spripers. The water temp in Rudee was 51-54 F. I think keeper size puppies will be active soon.

Fishing Log:

Thank you
    Joe
    Last edited by ComeOnFish; 02-26-2017 at 07:24 AM.
    Fish like there's no tomorrow.