Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anchor Question

I like that idea. I'm a heavy equipment mechanic and I come across chain in my job fairly regularly

Nice set up

Make sure your float is sufficient for the area you plan to fish. I found that out the hard way once when the float I was using (half a crab pot float) was pulled under by the current when I came off anchor. I had to wait until slack for it to pop back up so I could recover my line and anchor. I now use a full sized crab pot float and will bring a second one if I'm going to be anchoring in an area I think one potentially might not be enough.

I love it

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk
    14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"

12' Orange Malibu II "the Gift Horse"

Quote Originally Posted by kevinfry View Post
    I like to go simple and avioid hang ups. I simply use a piece of heavy chain....as Moc, kitkatyakker and others can attest, it often holds when other anchors won't grip....and has never hung up for me.....it does require tha4 i use the 46degree rule, however. i hook it in the middle when i need more grip, on the end when i want some drag (like flounder fishing). And if I did ever have to abandon it, i' only out a few bucks (got the chain at yard sale).
    How heavy do you think the chain is? I'm kinda surprised you say it holds for you. You would think it wouldn't have enough grab to dig in and would end up doing more dragging then anything.

Another option is to use an old sash weight

Quote Originally Posted by Slobber Bob View Post
    How heavy do you think the chain is? I'm kinda surprised you say it holds for you. You would think it wouldn't have enough grab to dig in and would end up doing more dragging then anything.
    It is 3-4ft of 5/8 chain I think. Certainly heavier than some of the grapple anchors folks use. I sometimes use a much longer price of 3/16 chain too, but Double it over more times.
    The secret is drag/friction. The chain has maximum contact with the bottom and the surface is irregular. It won't roll either. The only surface I've had any issue with was Very very compact sand. Even then, I was holding better than the guys with me using small grapples and a danforth anchor

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk
    14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"

12' Orange Malibu II "the Gift Horse"

^^^^^^
    Thanks for posting the specs on the chain anchor, definitely something I will
    be adding.
    13' Sand Revo
    16' Yellow Tarpon
    10' Red Ocean Tandem
    Old Red Cherokee

http://www.austinkayak.com/products/...aw-Anchor.html

I prefer a plow style anchor, it's the lightest option, holds extremely well especially in mud or sand, and if rigged properly is easy to recover. I think ACK even sells a kit with a rope, bag and float.
    2015 Hobie Outback
    2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Quote Originally Posted by silasvirus82 View Post
    http://www.austinkayak.com/products/...aw-Anchor.html

I prefer a plow style anchor, it's the lightest option, holds extremely well especially in mud or sand, and if rigged properly is easy to recover. I think ACK even sells a kit with a rope, bag and float.
    West Marine has them also. Cheap and they sure do grip in sand and mud. Only thing I don't like about it is the shape is kind of clunky and hard to store neatly on the kayak.