Anchor Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anchor Question

New to Snaggedline and I've been yak fishing about a year now. In process of installing an anchor trolley any recommendations on anchor style? Mostly fishing muddy bottoms on and around the Chesapeake Bay out of an 11.5 ft. Wilderness Systems ride. I've been leaning toward a folding grapple anchor for the convenience of storing and deploying. I want to take into consideration ease of recovery also, any ideas?

Hey welcome to Snaggedline! I have used a folding grapple anchor the past three years on the bay and some areas on the ocean. I have a length of chain on it to help weigh it down a bit. Here's a bit of information from a local VA kayak angler on anchors (http://www.angling-addict.com/2011/0...or-setups.html).
    J

Comment

Great info I've always rigged my anchors on power boats with a chain and breakaway like the system described. I've seen a lot of recommendations on a separate float to help locate and retrieve in the event you need to bug out. Thanks for the input!

Comment

3Lbs folding does just fine on the bay. Make sure you have a quick release and a float, just in case.
        2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

Great input Thanks

Comment

zman nice link!

it's a pretty good detailed description of multiple best practices.
            Red 2015 Hobie Outback
            Olive 2015 PA 14

Comment

I like to go simple and avioid hang ups. I simply use a piece of heavy chain....as Moc, kitkatyakker and others can attest, it often holds when other anchors won't grip....and has never hung up for me.....it does require tha4 i use the 46degree rule, however. i hook it in the middle when i need more grip, on the end when i want some drag (like flounder fishing). And if I did ever have to abandon it, i' only out a few bucks (got the chain at yard sale).

14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
              2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

I use a 3Lbs grappling anchor with paracord. The yellow goes to the jam cleat on my yak for quick release. This way I just pull the tag end and let it go. The float is just a pool noodle with a 3/4" PVC pipe capped at both ends to act as an air chamber, so I know where it is. The line spool is a cutting board that I cut into a "H" shape and wrap the 50' of blue paracord around. Holds me in rivers and the bay.
                2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

Not sure how deep your water is,but a simple DIY stake pole often works for me when fishing the back bay of the Eastern Shore. Basically an 8' tomato spike with a pvc t-connector top. Great for crabbing and fishing the sod banks. Also doubles as a push pole and can be made for $10. Use it way more than my anchor system.
                  Here is a link for the DIY
                  http://www.yakangler.com/forum/21-lo...d-spike-diy-10
                  Jay

10' Green Slayer
                  13’ Red Slayer

Comment

I do have a stake anchor that I use It's home made by the way similar to what your describing. Ive just been working on those times that I'm in deeper water. Thanks for the input

Comment

I like that idea. I'm a heavy equipment mechanic and I come across chain in my job fairly regularly

Comment

Nice set up

Comment

Make sure your float is sufficient for the area you plan to fish. I found that out the hard way once when the float I was using (half a crab pot float) was pulled under by the current when I came off anchor. I had to wait until slack for it to pop back up so I could recover my line and anchor. I now use a full sized crab pot float and will bring a second one if I'm going to be anchoring in an area I think one potentially might not be enough.
                          Brian

Comment

I love it

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk
                            14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                            2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Originally posted by kevinfry View Post
                              I like to go simple and avioid hang ups. I simply use a piece of heavy chain....as Moc, kitkatyakker and others can attest, it often holds when other anchors won't grip....and has never hung up for me.....it does require tha4 i use the 46degree rule, however. i hook it in the middle when i need more grip, on the end when i want some drag (like flounder fishing). And if I did ever have to abandon it, i' only out a few bucks (got the chain at yard sale).
                              How heavy do you think the chain is? I'm kinda surprised you say it holds for you. You would think it wouldn't have enough grab to dig in and would end up doing more dragging then anything.
                              Brian

Comment

Working...
                              X