Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anchor Question

Default Anchor Question

New to Snaggedline and I've been yak fishing about a year now. In process of installing an anchor trolley any recommendations on anchor style? Mostly fishing muddy bottoms on and around the Chesapeake Bay out of an 11.5 ft. Wilderness Systems ride. I've been leaning toward a folding grapple anchor for the convenience of storing and deploying. I want to take into consideration ease of recovery also, any ideas?

Hey welcome to Snaggedline! I have used a folding grapple anchor the past three years on the bay and some areas on the ocean. I have a length of chain on it to help weigh it down a bit. Here's a bit of information from a local VA kayak angler on anchors (http://www.angling-addict.com/2011/0...or-setups.html).
    Jake

Great info I've always rigged my anchors on power boats with a chain and breakaway like the system described. I've seen a lot of recommendations on a separate float to help locate and retrieve in the event you need to bug out. Thanks for the input!

3Lbs folding does just fine on the bay. Make sure you have a quick release and a float, just in case.
    2017 Hobie Camo Outback
    2016 Vibe Sea Ghost

Great input Thanks

zman nice link!

it's a pretty good detailed description of multiple best practices.
    Red 2015 Hobie Outback
    Olive 2015 PA 14

I like to go simple and avioid hang ups. I simply use a piece of heavy chain....as Moc, kitkatyakker and others can attest, it often holds when other anchors won't grip....and has never hung up for me.....it does require tha4 i use the 46degree rule, however. i hook it in the middle when i need more grip, on the end when i want some drag (like flounder fishing). And if I did ever have to abandon it, i' only out a few bucks (got the chain at yard sale).

14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"

12' Orange Malibu II "the Gift Horse"

I use a 3Lbs grappling anchor with paracord. The yellow goes to the jam cleat on my yak for quick release. This way I just pull the tag end and let it go. The float is just a pool noodle with a 3/4" PVC pipe capped at both ends to act as an air chamber, so I know where it is. The line spool is a cutting board that I cut into a "H" shape and wrap the 50' of blue paracord around. Holds me in rivers and the bay.IMG_20170226_1328444_rewind.jpg IMG_20170226_1329503_rewind.jpg
    2017 Hobie Camo Outback
    2016 Vibe Sea Ghost

Not sure how deep your water is,but a simple DIY stake pole often works for me when fishing the back bay of the Eastern Shore. Basically an 8' tomato spike with a pvc t-connector top. Great for crabbing and fishing the sod banks. Also doubles as a push pole and can be made for $10. Use it way more than my anchor system.
    Here is a link for the DIY
    http://www.yakangler.com/forum/21-lo...d-spike-diy-10
    13' Sand Revo
    16' Yellow Tarpon
    10' Red Ocean Tandem
    Old Red Cherokee

I do have a stake anchor that I use It's home made by the way similar to what your describing. Ive just been working on those times that I'm in deeper water. Thanks for the input