Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Crab manager fired

Between the crabs and oysters it's seems Hogan wants an open free for all. It's a shame to see these poor decisions being made for a profit.
    2015 Hobie Outback
    2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Here is a link, http://www.bayjournal.com/article/ma...plain_to_hogan

It seems they want the 5" rule to go away. Just food for thought, why can't we "farm" crabs like we do fish??
    2017 Hobie Camo Outback
    2016 Vibe Sea Ghost

Quote Originally Posted by silasvirus82 View Post
    Between the crabs and oysters it's seems Hogan wants an open free for all. It's a shame to see these poor decisions being made for a profit.
    Fisheries are such a vicious cycle. First a resource is fished out, so there's tighter regs put in place, then there's a slight rebound, and IMMEDIATELY the fisherman want to go back to looser regs. Fisherman fought the catch-share management approach implemented on the west coast tooth and nail, saying it would cost jobs, money, time, etc. However, since it's been implemented, market price is up, which hurts the consumer a bit, but it means better livelihoods for fisherman, and a more sustainable fishery. I'm sure people fought the moratorium tooth and nail as well, and now they probably take for granted actually catching their limit of rockfish daily. I know a charter fisherman who didn't catch a rockfish for the first 7 years he ran his boat, he caught blues and croaker mostly. Tighter regs might suck for a couple years, but if it means long term sustainability, so be it. If Hogan really wanted to make a difference, he'd up the penalties for poaching, across the board. I bet people lobby for those to remain relatively lax as well. Best thing to do is obey all the rules, and always report those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by yakscientist View Post
    Fisheries are such a vicious cycle. First a resource is fished out, so there's tighter regs put in place, then there's a slight rebound, and IMMEDIATELY the fisherman want to go back to looser regs. Fisherman fought the catch-share management approach implemented on the west coast tooth and nail, saying it would cost jobs, money, time, etc. However, since it's been implemented, market price is up, which hurts the consumer a bit, but it means better livelihoods for fisherman, and a more sustainable fishery. I'm sure people fought the moratorium tooth and nail as well, and now they probably take for granted actually catching their limit of rockfish daily. I know a charter fisherman who didn't catch a rockfish for the first 7 years he ran his boat, he caught blues and croaker mostly. Tighter regs might suck for a couple years, but if it means long term sustainability, so be it. If Hogan really wanted to make a difference, he'd up the penalties for poaching, across the board. I bet people lobby for those to remain relatively lax as well. Best thing to do is obey all the rules, and always report those that don't.
    I got too political. I'm sorry. I just finished washing and waxing 2 cars and I'm tired. I'm excusing myself from this thread, at least until tomorrow.

I don't even understand how this is a political issue. This is exactly why science is important. The concerns of special interest groups should be listened to, without a doubt, but management and regulation should be based on hard data, not emotion. If the waterman want the size limit reduced, population models should be run to determine if it would be sustainable in the long term, otherwise it would hurt the very people arguing for the change.
    Kevin

2013 Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Default Crab manager fired

Quote Originally Posted by Crotalus View Post
    I don't even understand how this is a political issue. This is exactly why science is important. The concerns of special interest groups should be listened to, without a doubt, but management and regulation should be based on hard data, not emotion. If the waterman want the size limit reduced, population models should be run to determine if it would be sustainable in the long term, otherwise it would hurt the very people arguing for the change.
    I don't know much about crabs, but the waterman pushing for changes to the oyster harvests are completely based on money and politics. The facts are, despite recent recoveries in oyster beds in the bay, we are still at less than 1% of historical levels. The facts are, oysters sell for at or over $10/dozen at the market, so it's not hard to see why they are after them. Each one is almost a dollar bill just sitting there. Don't buy local oysters!

Point is, waterman are not making decisions on their best interest long term, they only care about the now.
    2015 Hobie Outback
    2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Quote Originally Posted by Steve6902 View Post
    Here is a link, http://www.bayjournal.com/article/ma...plain_to_hogan

It seems they want the 5" rule to go away. Just food for thought, why can't we "farm" crabs like we do fish??
    As crabs go through their life cycle & shed or molt they are extremely predatory & cannabalistic. It is extremely difficult/expensive to raise our blue crabs using aquaculture. It can be done, they have relatively short life spans but is far more expensive than managing fishery by setting quatas and limits. Many people keep peelers to get them to shed & that is only a few days. really farming crabs is a much much more complictaed process.
    Red 2015 Hobie Outback
    Olive 2015 PA 14

There sure isn't much meat on a crab that's less than 5" tip to tip & true, it doesn't make much sense to wipe out the population just for a couple of year's overharvesting.

The Md Waterman's Association seems to have more pull with Hogan than with the prior administration; particularly on oysters and it seems now also on crabs. The MWA successfully killed an Army Corp of Engineers studyyster replenishment program in Harris Creek, and now want to open up 10% of existing
    sanctuaries to power dredging.

This is all about money and politics. The sport,and recreational industries simply do not have the funds or long term connections to state government to compete with the MWA, and advocate for a more science based approach to fisheries management.

Saturday and Sunday at Bass Pro Shop Spring fishing Expo...how much money do you think recreational fishermen/women spent on boating, tackle, accessories in just those two days? Probably as much as the watermen make selling crabs in a month...the problem we have is we are not organized into an effective political force- Save the Bay...CCA Maryland...do their best with the fraction of the recreational fishermen/women and boaters/sailors that belong and pay dues of the total number...in politics it is all about leverage, numbers and voters...a small group of well financed watermen making key political donations to the right politicians can punch well above their weight...
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Outback
    "Ugly Duckling" 2010 Olive Hobie Outback
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13