Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Keeping Fish

I personally don't have any intention of keeping a big breeding rock fish, but I'm not going to get into some guys business for keeping a legal fish that he's going to eat. If you're paying for a fishing license, and you're abiding by all laws and regulations set in stone by the people actually doing the research and keeping tabs on these fish, who am I to tell you you're wrong for harvesting a legal fish? If people on here are getting upset because cows are being harvested they should be gearing their frustrations to the charter boats limiting out every day, not the average kayaker who is lucky if he lands one cow a season. I understand some of us fish solely for recreational purposes, but there are others who are out there trying to eat.
    Zack
    Camo 2014 OK Trident Ultra 4.7
    Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T
    "WV RiverRat" on Youtube.

Couldn't agree with you more Vega. If they would set a slot limit especially for the commercial net draggers all fish that grew above the slot would soon outnumber the smaller fish. Imagine catching dozens of rockfish over 30 inches in a few hours! I can personally attest to fishing in NC during the red drum spawning season and doing just that. I can't remember the last time I caught a red drum under 30 inches during their run. Everyone complained about the slot until they saw the results and the eco tourism dollars it produces. Another great example is the Snook fishery slot size imposed in FL.

I'm confused, I thought that MD had a slot limit. Has to be over so many inches and under so many inches. Then only one can be over 28". At least I think that's how it goes. I can't find the regs for 2017.
    2017 Hobie Camo Outback
    2016 Vibe Sea Ghost

We don't have a slot rule now but we had one a couple years ago. The slot was 36"-40" were illegal to keep.

Now it is: for trophy season 1 fish per person per day over 35" and after June 1st you can keep two fish per day over 20" with only one of your fish being over 28".

It changes frequently, like Sega said according to the marine biologist and the DNR researchers. What controls the decision on those regs is a commercial fishing and charter boat "sustainable fishery" style of management. Don't get me wrong I'm not against someone keeping a fish. I just disagree with how and who the regs are catering to. For the next few months we can't keep any rockfish. That's not the case with red drum, year round slot is open.
    NC and FL realized that the fish meat market dollar and the 30 person head boat at 50 bucks a person was not as profitable as the eco tourism or a guy paying 300 to 900 bucks a day for a person guide. The dollar wins the politics and who the law makers, marine biologist and DNR cater to.
    We don't buy fishing licenses to buy the fish we eat. We buy the license to have public water access, and to pay the salaries of the law makers and DNR patrols stopping people from illegally harvesting a 5 gallon bucket of 12 inch dinks. Don't scoff I've personally had to call DNR about such an incident at Kent Narrows.
    To get back to the point, striped bass must be landed whole and can not be culled. Keep em on a stringer or if you have lots of ice on your yak put em in it. If you have a along drive home fillet the beast at the dock, ask somebody if they want the carcass for crabbing so nothing goes to waste.

You know, I asked a simple question, how do you guys keep your rockfish in your yaks. That's it, nothing else. Only 2 people (ccchrisccc and fishmoken) answered it. Everyone else, except for Sega, wants to tell me how we are conservationists, and let the big ones go, not to post keepers, and about the Drum in FL. I didn't ask about those things. Sega hit it on the head with it's MY fish. I go to the bay to catch fish and consume their flesh. If I want to catch a 40" plus Rock and eat it, so be it. I drove the hour plus to catch fish. I did not ask for a lecture, I asked a question. Oh and if I want to post my big ass fish on here and it upsets someone, to bad. They have an issue not me. This forum has been real nice, with lots of good info, but for some reason this just sit's in my Hillbilly craw. You do what you want with your fish and I'll do what I want with mine. Oh and ccchrisccc, fishmoken and sega, thanks.
    Last edited by Steve6902; 02-24-2017 at 06:37 AM. Reason: Forgot to add fishmoken
    2017 Hobie Camo Outback
    2016 Vibe Sea Ghost

Wow...this thread really stirred up some stuff over something little.

Honestly, I wouldn't bust on a guy in a kayak or a guy in his boat keeping a fish. They aren't the big problem. What really gets me going is when I take my boat out in April and I have to dodge all of the stupid fish nets everywhere. You can't convince me that this is a good practice. Nets are horrible and should be illegal. I am not even a big fan of the bunker industry with their nets. Funny but you catch fish until they show up and then you don't catch any. You can't convince me that a net only catches one type of fish and game species aren't harmed in the process. Don't pick on one fisherman because they don't even come close to what they allow the fish industry to do.

Now to the question in hand. You can probably keep the fish on a big stringer in the water. Maybe you have to use a club and club it and it will be a lot of drag. Keeping it in the water will keep it fresh. Probably the best bet is to keep it alive if you can but that may be a lot of drag. The water temps should be cool enough to keep the fish like it was in a cooler.

Oh, and for the record, I am mainly a catch and release fisherman. That being said I will harvest something once in a while but it is rare.

To somewhat answer your question, use a strong stringer. Its impossible to keep a large fish in yak due to space restrictions. From a different perspective, the fight, landing, photographing, measuring and successful release will overwhelm you with a state of satisfaction and reward you will never forget. I fish the salt, ALOT, during the spring run I release 10X more then I keep each day. There is a fish stringer I use for larger fish. It is one big clip and works well.
    Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
    Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Quote Originally Posted by Steve6902 View Post
    You know, I asked a simple question, how do you guys keep your rockfish in your yaks. That's it, nothing else. Only 2 people (ccchrisccc and fishmoken) answered it. Everyone else, except for Sega, wants to tell me how we are conservationists, and let the big ones go, not to post keepers, and about the Drum in FL. I didn't ask about those things. Sega hit it on the head with it's MY fish. I go to the bay to catch fish and consume their flesh. If I want to catch a 40" plus Rock and eat it, so be it. I drove the hour plus to catch fish. I did not ask for a lecture, I asked a question. Oh and if I want to post my big ass fish on here and it upsets someone, to bad. They have an issue not me. This forum has been real nice, with lots of good info, but for some reason this just sit's in my Hillbilly craw. You do what you want with your fish and I'll do what I want with mine. Oh and ccchrisccc, fishmoken and sega, thanks.
    People jumped on your for your gas trolling motor comment as well, it's a bit frustrating to see so many strong opinions expressed without answering your question. However, seeing that those opinions are based on an approach which is more conservative minded, is nice. For what it's worth, I can't answer about the larger fish, but I keep a Coors Light cooler bag (when they used to sell the 36 packs) behind my seat, and keep a couple ice packs and some bagged ice in it, depending on the ambient temp. I just club the fish with my soul-pole, it's a wooden club I bought off amazon, and throw them behind me into the bag, I think it's more humane to dispatch of them quickly like that. Oh and you might already know, but you can keep a fish whole on ice for up to probably 2-3 days, or in the fridge, before filleting it, and it'll be fine. In fact, with oily fish like bluefish, it's said that once oxygen hits the meat, it'll spoil it quickly, so some people freeze them whole and thaw them slowly in the fridge the day before they intend to eat them, or just fillet and eat right away. I follow fishing rules strictly, and lately I've been confrontational when I see people needlessly killing fish, usually skate or rays, and I don't have any issue with people obeying the rules of the fishery, if you want to keep 1 big fish an outing, go for it. I am all for heavy penalties, much heavier than they are currently, to crabbers or fisherman who routinely harvest far more than the limit, and far smaller fish/crabs. Also, I know thule makes some large fish bags, you can also look on amazon, or at ACK, they will probably have a variety to choose, you could even use one of the insulated trader joes grocery bags with the foil lining.