Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Keeping Fish

Default Keeping Fish

Okay guys, I have my Hobie Outback all rigged up and ready for Rock season. I just have one small question. After you catch a big old pig of a rock, how do you transport/store it for the journey back?? Now I'm not talking little 25" and under. I'm talking about the big boys. So if you can share some insight or even a pic or two that would be great.
    2017 Hobie Camo Outback
    2016 Vibe Sea Ghost

A little ambitious are we?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Steve I usually set em all loose. Especially the big ones, most striped bass over 30 pounds are usually female and large females produce exponentially more eggs than smaller ones.
    Just my 2 cents, I can remember about 30 years ago when the Striped Bass population was hanging on by a thread. I still believe we should impose a slot limit like they have for red drum.
    Fisherman are stewards of the shared resource, if our forefathers had restrained themselves just a little bit we would be able to hunt wild Buffalo today. So that's why I fish rather than hunt, I can't release it for others and our grandchildren to enjoy later if I kill it.

let the trophies go.. they dont even taste good. if you want a good eating size, take home a schoolie size.
    Michael
    2014 Native Slayer Propel 13
    2015 Hobie Mirage Outback
    Ocean Kayak Prowler 13

Quote Originally Posted by Steve6902 View Post
    Okay guys, I have my Hobie Outback all rigged up and ready for Rock season. I just have one small question. After you catch a big old pig of a rock, how do you transport/store it for the journey back?? Now I'm not talking little 25" and under. I'm talking about the big boys. So if you can share some insight or even a pic or two that would be great.
    You release it. We are generally conservationist minded and wouldn't keep fish over 30". It's not good for the species because they're part of the spawning migration. If you post a picture keeping a large fish like that, be prepared for a little backlash.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Kokatat Pro Staff
    Torqeedo Pro Staff
    Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback
    Perry Hall, MD
    Alan

Highly recommend. I never go out with a cooler now.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C500BLQ/?tag=becore-20

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I definitely saw this thread going in a different direction in my mind.

Okay got it, let the big ones over 30" go, and don't post pics of me keeping a big fish or someone will be upset. Sooooo, how do you keep the under 30" fish in the yak?? I usually keep them on a stringer over the side. I'm kind of looking for some DIY ideas to keep them out of the water.
    Oh and for the record, I hunt to. Also do CDP's.
    2017 Hobie Camo Outback
    2016 Vibe Sea Ghost

I picked myself up a low end igloo cooler for my kayak this season, and a bunch of ice packs from work. It should do the job as I don't have to transport the fish more then a few hours. I had a stringer before but the water is just to hot during the summer. Hopefully I will put it to use when spring comes and can get some white perch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Desert Camo- Moken 14
    Tan- Tarpon 140

Your question was how do we keep the big ones? .......... The answer is that most don't because they are the breeders and they don't taste that good. They are mostly for photo opts besides The 18" ones taste the best. If you want to keep one, that's up to you but it will be a pain getting it to shore.