No announcement yet.

Keeping Fish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seems like you got a lot of opinions... not about transporting fish...

If you ever go down to FL to fish the pelagics they use one of the very large cooler bags that strap to the front of the yak. You can look some up by Reliable Fishing or ice Mule. if the fish doesn't fit, just leave the tail hanging out. But these get expensive, and are mainly used to keep fish cold for 6 hours+ of florida heat.

But realistically around here, you won't be too far from shore and it won't be too hot when the big rocks are around. So you can just kill it, strap it to the back of your yak, and head back to shore.

Comment

I go to great lengths to release just about all my fish...usually fill my freezer with keepers by June and the rest of the year it is all C&R...barbless hooks makes it a lot easier...and I swap out my trebles for single replacement hooks...I have a rope stringer with galvanized steel hooks (10)...love really big white perch for the table- 12-14 inch perch are the best...and I do not keep any fish over 30 inches...except one...love me some Cobia...absolute yumm no matter how big they get- my personal best is a 60 pound cobia...caught off Rodanthe Fishing pier...and it was really great table fare- as good as any...that and big mahi-mahi ...
      "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
      2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
      "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
      Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
        I go to great lengths to release just about all my fish...usually fill my freezer with keepers by June and the rest of the year it is all C&R...barbless hooks makes it a lot easier...and I swap out my trebles for single replacement hooks...I have a rope stringer with galvanized steel hooks (10)...love really big white perch for the table- 12-14 inch perch are the best...and I do not keep any fish over 30 inches...except one...love me some Cobia...absolute yumm no matter how big they get- my personal best is a 60 pound cobia...caught off Rodanthe Fishing pier...and it was really great table fare- as good as any...that and big mahi-mahi ...
        Do you ever see any cobia around your fishing spots here in MD? Always wanted to catch one. John (silasvirus) and I may be making a trip down to you sometime in the next month or so, will keep you posted. Looking forward to fishing with you in some new (to me) waters.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve6902 View Post
          Okay guys, I have my Hobie Outback all rigged up and ready for Rock season. I just have one small question. After you catch a big old pig of a rock, how do you transport/store it for the journey back?? Now I'm not talking little 25" and under. I'm talking about the big boys. So if you can share some insight or even a pic or two that would be great.
          Back to your original question. I use my newly found stringer. Havent had any problem yet. This is why i dont post much on this site. Too many people will advise you to let it go. For me, nothing goes wasted. I dont only target rockfish, i fish year round in my yak. Some people only target rockfish, then complain about people keeping them. Cant keep everybody happy.
          Native Watercraft Pro Staff
          2016 Native Watercraft Slayer Propel 13 Lizard Lick

2016 CCA MD "BLUE CAT" Tournament 2nd place
          33rd MSSA "THE CHAMPIONSHIP" Tournament 1st place
          2016 Curley's White Perch Tournament 1st place

Comment

Originally posted by yakscientist View Post
            Do you ever see any cobia around your fishing spots here in MD? Always wanted to catch one. John (silasvirus) and I may be making a trip down to you sometime in the next month or so, will keep you posted. Looking forward to fishing with you in some new (to me) waters.
            Cobia were out by the target ship last year

Comment

Originally posted by kuljc View Post
              Seems like you got a lot of opinions... not about transporting fish...

If you ever go down to FL to fish the pelagics they use one of the very large cooler bags that strap to the front of the yak. You can look some up by Reliable Fishing or ice Mule. if the fish doesn't fit, just leave the tail hanging out. But these get expensive, and are mainly used to keep fish cold for 6 hours+ of florida heat.

But realistically around here, you won't be too far from shore and it won't be too hot when the big rocks are around. So you can just kill it, strap it to the back of your yak, and head back to shore.
              Exactly. But its getting warm out now. Strapping a fish on the yak will draw bugs in. Been there. You dont want that.

Comment

Originally posted by D3NAL1 View Post
                Cobia were out by the target ship last year
                How far of a trip is that from the nearest launch for a kayak? I've heard of it but I've never seen it/fished it. I was wondering why you've been posting less and less in the forum, and I agree, people can be very opinionated (myself included). I might be coming down to southern MD a few times this year to fish, I will contact you if I do, the spot you let me fish at last summer was great! I think I caught my first keeper rockfish there, but from then on, the magothy and the severn kept producing keepers for me, so I never ventured farther south. Thanks again for letting me fish there.

Comment

What is this "target ship" people keep talking about??
                  2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

Originally posted by yakscientist View Post
                    How far of a trip is that from the nearest launch for a kayak? I've heard of it but I've never seen it/fished it. I was wondering why you've been posting less and less in the forum, and I agree, people can be very opinionated (myself included). I might be coming down to southern MD a few times this year to fish, I will contact you if I do, the spot you let me fish at last summer was great! I think I caught my first keeper rockfish there, but from then on, the magothy and the severn kept producing keepers for me, so I never ventured farther south. Thanks again for letting me fish there.
                    Im in calvert now, but still have access to that spot. Fished there once this year but tons of jellies all over. If you add me on facebook and instagram you can see all my catches there. Been slaying it.

Comment

Nearest launch is point lookout. Its about 8 miles to it. Gotta be very careful, its past the shipping channel. Straight east from point lookout.

Screenshot_20170417-124903.jpg
                      X is point lookout, o is targetship

Comment

A few made their way up close to PLO- The Target ship has been the worst kept cobia secret over the years although the US Navy usually runs folks off a few times a week for gunnery practice...

Comment

USAS American Mariner - scuttled in shallow water. Commonly referred to as Old Hannibal.

Coordinates: *edit* , roughly midway between Point Lookout and Smith Island.
                          Last edited by mchottie; 04-17-2017, 02:48 PM. Reason: if you want the GPS coordinates, PM me
                          Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

I would not recommend anyone kayak out to it...unless you "mothership"...and opinions are like ears-everyone has at least one...
                            Last edited by ronaultmtd; 04-17-2017, 04:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
                              I would not recommend anyone kayak out to it...unless you "mothership"
                              Absolutely, you can get stuck out there. How you been ron, im launching in the morning from my house. Just gna check what rockfish are around

Comment

Originally posted by D3NAL1 View Post
                                Absolutely, you can get stuck out there. How you been ron, im launching in the morning from my house. Just gna check what rockfish are around
                                Come on fish Joe has paddled out to the Target ships

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk
                                14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                                2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Working...
                                X