No announcement yet.

Keeping Fish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My apologies for coming off too strong. Perhaps I love these fish too much. The fishery is just above the overfished level.
    The best thing you can get for storing your fish are the cooler bags from Wegmans. They're cheap, hold a decent sized fish and keep ice cold all day.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Kokatat Pro Staff
    Torqeedo Pro Staff
    Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
    Alan

Comment

Originally posted by Steve6902 View Post
      Okay guys, I have my Hobie Outback all rigged up and ready for Rock season. I just have one small question. After you catch a big old pig of a rock, how do you transport/store it for the journey back?? Now I'm not talking little 25" and under. I'm talking about the big boys. So if you can share some insight or even a pic or two that would be great.
      Damn, I love this forum. Here is the original post. The passion and opinion in all that have posted provides confidence that the Striper population will continue to be strong for generations to come.
      Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
      Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

Originally posted by Salty Dog View Post
        Damn, I love this forum. Here is the original post. The passion and opinion in all that have posted provides confidence that the Striper population will continue to be strong for generations to come.
        We can't argue about yamaha vs mercury or 4 stroke vs 2 stroke, so we have to improvise.

Comment

Originally posted by yakscientist View Post
          We can't argue about yamaha vs mercury or 4 stroke vs 2 stroke, so we have to improvise.
          Oh there is plenty of discussion on Hobie versus Native, or paddle vs peddle. Don't sell us short Pat
          2015 Hobie Outback
          2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Don't forget electric trolling motor vs weed wacker motor. I'm all for a debate, I love a good debate. And beer, debates and beer.
            2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

It's just not cool to hijack someone else's thread for one's debate.

+1 on the insulated bag. Takes up very little room unless you score.
              Just don't use it for catfish. They poke right thru.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
              Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

Steve6902, thanks for asking the question. I was actually looking for a cooler bag to transport fish I'm bringing home. Some of the Amazon bags seems promising, the prices range from 50 to lowest 10. Just search for "cooler bags".

On the side note, I don't see anything illegal about keeping fish that meets DNR regulation. If someone wants to take one home, go for it! I'm also all for crucifying people who keep illegal fish though. Personally for me, I don't keep any spawning rockfish.
                2015 Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Living the Dream,
                  I hope you catch the big one soon.

I carry a large spearfishing stringer, and also carry a 12' rope/twine rated over 100 LB test. The rope was used for multi purposes. i always carry this utility rope in my tackle bag.

Fish don't get spoiled within few hours even on a hot summer day. Trust me on this. Stringer the large fish using the rope and come back to the launch immediately if you are several miles off the launch. It is hard to fish when dragging a big fish.
                  If you are tired and are miles off the launch, kill the fish and put the fish behind the seat (across the the tank well,). A dead fish won't slide off the kayak. Make sure that the rudder holes are above the sea level. You may not able to see the rudder holes because of the cooler/milk crate. Have other kayakers verify the rudder holes are above the sea level.

Pedal back immediately and have a party.

Joe
                  Last edited by ComeOnFish; 03-22-2017, 07:28 AM.
                  Fish like there's no tomorrow.
                  Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
                  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

You know, I asked a simple question, how do you guys keep your rockfish in your yaks. That's it, nothing else. Only 2 people (ccchrisccc and fishmoken) answered it. Everyone else, except for Sega, wants to tell me how we are conservationists, and let the big ones go, not to post keepers, and about the Drum in FL. I didn't ask about those things. Sega hit it on the head with it's MY fish. I go to the bay to catch fish and consume their flesh. If I want to catch a 40" plus Rock and eat it, so be it. I drove the hour plus to catch fish. I did not ask for a lecture, I asked a question. Oh and if I want to post my big ass fish on here and it upsets someone, to bad. They have an issue not me. This forum has been real nice, with lots of good info, but for some reason this just sit's in my Hillbilly craw. You do what you want with your fish and I'll do what I want with mine. Oh and ccchrisccc, fishmoken and sega, thanks.
                    I personally struggle to catch rockfish greater than 23"
                    however, this is how I transport big drum......when the slot limit permits it
                    Warm weather does not seem to effect the quality

time to lighten up gentlemen

btw...since most large fish are caught in the cooler months and take up so much deck space, if you chose to keep a large legal fish...as you are entitled...Id just throw it between my legs and paddle to the truck
                    Last edited by kevinfry; 03-22-2017, 07:22 AM.
                    14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                    2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Kevinfry, now that's a nice drum. ��
                      2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

Kevinfry, now that's a nice drum. ��
                        made a heck of a wallmount
                        14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                        2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Okay so I read on the NJ DNR site that ANY striper over 40" is a female and should be returned to the water. So if I hook one over 40" I will set it free, however if it's 35-39 7/8" it's going home with me.
                          2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

Okay so I read on the NJ DNR site that ANY striper over 40" is a female and should be returned to the water. So if I hook one over 40" I will set it free, however if it's 35-39 7/8" it's going home with me.
                            Sadly the only way to truly verify a rockfish's sex is to cut it open and see if it has testes or eggs. There may be a way to tell from the scales, but I'm not aware of it. Males do get larger than that 40" mark but tend to be much much older, since they typically grow faster... "starting at age 4, females grow faster than males." The charter captain who I've worked with before has caught a few males over that 40" mark, one with a fully intact 20" rockfish in its stomach. They really are a bada** fish. But yeah for health reasons, I would stay away from harvesting too many fish above that 40" mark, or eating it too often. Larger, older, fish are just going to be more full of PCBs, and other contaminants. Also, in my experience, you do get a lot of meat, but it doesn't last as long in the freezer before it starts to taste very strong. But like I said, I fully support the harvesting of legal size fish, so long as they don't go to waste; but I would also favor tighter restrictions on harvesting the large fish during the spring season. That's why I usually only keep 1 large fish per year....not that I catch more than that haha.
                            https://chesapeakebay.noaa.gov/fish-facts/striped-bass

Comment

Okay, First off, I am NOT, I say again NOT looking for a fight, everyone is entitled to their opinion. Now that's out of the way. I have been really torn over this issue of kill and grill or catch and release. There seems to be a lot of literature about the ills of C&R. It would seem that it's not as good as it's been portrayed. Here's a good link, http://anglingunlimited.com/fishing/...ease-properly/

Now with this different look at C&R what are your thoughts now?? There are a lot of areas that are open to C&R during the spawn. Do you feel that they should be off limits till after the spawning season is over??

Y'all can thank yakscientist for this. He keeps posting stuff for me to read. If he doesn't stop I may end up believing in Global Warming.
                              2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

Okay, First off, I am NOT, I say again NOT looking for a fight, everyone is entitled to their opinion. Now that's out of the way. I have been really torn over this issue of kill and grill or catch and release. There seems to be a lot of literature about the ills of C&R. It would seem that it's not as good as it's been portrayed. Here's a good link, http://anglingunlimited.com/fishing/...ease-properly/

Now with this different look at C&R what are your thoughts now?? There are a lot of areas that are open to C&R during the spawn. Do you feel that they should be off limits till after the spawning season is over??

Y'all can thank yakscientist for this. He keeps posting stuff for me to read. If he doesn't stop I may end up believing in Global Warming.
                                Don't you put this on me! C&R mortality is a serious thing though, especially once the water starts warming up. In the summer and fall I will often move away from schools of fish that clearly aren't yielding keepers, just because although it's really fun to catch 15-19" fish on light tackle all day, it just isn't worth stressing out all those fish. I personally would like to see the 20-28" limit in place all year, with maybe a shift from 1-2 fish per person, and then during trophy season, a max of 1 30-35" fish per boat. A limit that conservative will never get passed though, at least not anytime soon. They could also shorten the trophy season, and make it only the first 2 weeks in May, with the 20-28" limit in effect in the last 2 weeks in April. I think unfortunately it'll take a big crash in the yearly recruitment of the rockfish for them to make any big changes. I think a good compromise would be extending the 20-28" limit in the rivers to year-round, while doing either of the things I suggested earlier. Also I would like to see much stiffer penalties for repeat offenders, or blatantly disregarding the rules (a cooler full of sub 20" fish). A man can dream...

Comment

Working...
                                X