New Here/Intro/Native Watercraft Slayer 10 Propel Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FishMoken View Post
    I can't speak for the slayer propel 10 but I will say that loading it on a roof rack will be a challenge just because of its short length. The shorter the kayak the greater the angle from the ground to roof top. I'm not saying it can't be done, but it might be a challenge to keep the kayak upright while you head to the other side to lift the other half onto the rollers. Just my two cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That's a distinct possibility.

Both of my boats have pointed sterns and will tip if I let them go when they are leaning in the roller. I never take my hands off of them as I place them on the roller and then lift them into place. That's not a hard function to master. Also I place a carpet on the driveway where my stern rests to prevent grinding the plastic on the asphalt as I balance and lift my boats and I look for grassy areas at the launch or I use a floor mat from my van to prevent damage to the stern when unloading.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by mjkeith13 View Post
      Next thing to figure out after procuring a kayak: I need a couple fishing rod/reels. I have one extremely old rod/reel that will not cut it any longer. Any advice on a good fishing rod and reel for out in the kayak? I prefer spinning reels but am open to any/all advice on what works best for y'all.

Thank you again everybody. What a great source of help this forum is!!
      What is your rod/reel budget like? I just picked up a Daiwa BG spinning combo in the 2500 size from a tackle shop in NY. It was $121 delivered to my door. The reel is silky smooth, with a good quality one piece rod, which should be perfect for casting/trolling for stripers. If that seems a little high, Bass Pro Shops has a good selection of affordable combos under $100.
      Joe

2020 Vibe Shearwater 125

Comment

Originally posted by rugbyfish View Post
        What is your rod/reel budget like? I just picked up a Daiwa BG spinning combo in the 2500 size from a tackle shop in NY. It was $121 delivered to my door. The reel is silky smooth, with a good quality one piece rod, which should be perfect for casting/trolling for stripers. If that seems a little high, Bass Pro Shops has a good selection of affordable combos under $100.
        That's hilarious, I was about to recommend the same reel, but a slightly different rod. My BG 2500 is being delivered, and I am going to pair it with a 6'6 medium-light ugly stik elite spinning rod, which I've already had for a little while now. I assume you read Alan Hawk's review of the BG SW? If you didn't, it's basically the best spinning reel feature-wise, for under $200 (I got mine for $82). Though it's sealing is a bit below like a stradic or a nasci, the carbon drag and the premium bearings more than make up for it. I've really enjoyed my shimano sahara for a while now, though I know many people have not liked theirs. I also can recommend the shimano baitrunner, at least an older one, and a okuma abf baitfeeder spinning reel, if you're looking for a reel with that baitrunner-type second drag, that cost about 1/3 as much as the shimano version.

Comment

Wow - it is funny that you mentioned that rod/reel combo! I'm about to buy Daiwa BG PMC 2500 7' combo which I believe is exactly what you just recommended.
          I think I will only take 2 rod/reels with me on my kayak initially until I get the hang of things. I've never used more than two on my previous fishing trips.

I was also looking at the Penn CLA3000 Clash spinning reel paired with a St. Croix Mojo Inshore Spinning Rod. If I can get these 2 set up, I'll be good to go.
          Thanks for the help!
          Mike

2020 Hobie Outback - Camo

Comment

I am 5'11" and on my Slayer 10 I have the seat more or less in the dead center of the tracks, so I would think that they designed it to work for a large range of heights.

I do find the width makes it somewhat harder to load/unload then my skinnier but slightly heavier second yak. Loading it right side up is far easier then upside down however, so if you can stand the noise and reduced mpg, then that might be an option. However, every time I see the guys on here with their Mobile Kayak Command Centers (aka old minvans) I am consumed with envy and one of these days I am going to hunt down a cheap used one for myself.
            Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
            Lime Slayer 10

Comment

Originally posted by J. Rentch View Post
              John Veil put me onto a Slayer 10 three years ago and have never regrettd it. It's a very stable platform to fish, even standing if you are interested . I have lugged it over some fairly big water with little fear of tipping, however I set a limit of 15 mph for fishing. Hope you enjoy your purchase!
              John, you must be the Lance Armstrong of pedal kayaks if you have to limit yourself to 15 MPH! No problems targeting Spanish Macs at that speed.
              Mike
              Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Originally posted by bunnielab View Post
                ...However, every time I see the guys on here with their Mobile Kayak Command Centers (aka old minvans) I am consumed with envy and one of these days I am going to hunt down a cheap used one for myself.
                They are indeed wonderful "fishmobiles".

I've had vans off and on since my 1991 Ford Aerostar. I've also had pickups and an SUV during that time. But I've liked the vans the best for hauling my fishing gear.

However, they're certainly not great for your image if you're concerned about that. A friend once told me that the only way to attract women while driving a van is to fill it with puppies or babies.
                Mark
                Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Thank you Drew - that's very helpful. Since there are no time constraints, I figure I'll get the kayak first and than figure out how to get it to the water the easiest. We had an old Toyota minivan in Germany that my wife and her friends drove across Europe loading with loot. Wish we'd kept it now
                  Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Big Mike View Post
                    John, you must be the Lance Armstrong of pedal kayaks if you have to limit yourself to 15 MPH! No problems targeting Spanish Macs at that speed.
                    Sorry, I meant 15 mph for wind velocity, not speed of kayak, not that strong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    John Rentch
                    Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
                    Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Welcome Mike. Lots of great folks on here.

I have a 12' Heritage (Native) Redfish that I load into the back of my Chevy Traverse. With the yak on my trolley, it's really easy to get in there. Once you get the front in, it's an easy slide. I use ratchet straps to secure it at the back. The Traverse has several places that I can ratchet it down. I then use bungies to keep the liftgate down and for added security, I bungie the front handhold on the kayak to the passenger headrest. Now, I don't have the ability to seat passengers when I have it loaded in, so if you are traveling with other people, keep that in mind. If you can back into the launch area, it's pretty quick in and out.
                      Anthony

Redfish 12 Angler

Comment

Thank you Anthony. I was kinda looking into something similar but I think you have more space with your Traverse than I have with a Toyota Highlander. I measured a couple days ago and I'd still have a good 4' sticking out the back and that would worry me no matter how secure I ratchet it down with provided tie downs in the back. After talking to several great guys from the forum at BPS yesterday, I think I'll pursue the roof mounting with a Thule slipstream. Though I'll still keep internal loading like you do in mind. Thank you!
                        Mike

Comment

One other thing to note is that I push the front passenger seat all the way forward as far as it will go. This is why someone really can't travel with me. I put the kayak diagonally with the bow pointed between the front passenger door and seat with the stern pointed toward the driver's side rear. This allows me to get it farther in the truck. Once it's there and strapped with ratchets and bungies, it's really secure.
                          Anthony

Redfish 12 Angler

Comment

Working...
                          X