Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Casting vs Conventional advice (rod triggers)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Casting vs Conventional advice (rod triggers)

I just purchased my first conventional reel - its a smaller Penn which I intend to use for trolling off the yak, and perhaps some bottom fishing at the Bridge or at Kiptopeake. Looking to match it with a rod. I thought I should be looking for "casting" rods, but noticed they have handle triggers to assist with casting. I don't think i want a trigger for my purposes, do I? I researched a couple of trolling rods, but wasn't sure if that's what I wanted because I may need to make short casts for the bottom fishing i referred to. Any input into rod type would be helpful. If you make a product recommendation, I want to spend about $100 (less if possible) to limit losses if a rod goes overboard, but I want a solid product also. Appreciate any input.
    Hobie Revo 13 (w/ graffiti removed)
    Ocean Kayak Trident 13

I'm the farthest thing from an expert, but the rods with the triggers are 'baitcasting' rods typically combined with a baitcasting reel. i have no expertise in this area, ive tried 3 different baitcasting reels, and just dont have the knack for it. I'm assuming that by conventional reel you are referring to spinning - Personally i have good luck with Ugly Stick GX2 rods, they are priced $60 and under, and have some good whip for casting distance. They are available in H, MH, and M stiffness, I believe I have the 6'6, 7', 7'6, and 9', 9' being used from shore/pier and can zing a nice 2oz pretty far out.
    Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Originally posted by mchottie View Post
      I'm the farthest thing from an expert, but the rods with the triggers are 'baitcasting' rods typically combined with a baitcasting reel. i have no expertise in this area, ive tried 3 different baitcasting reels, and just dont have the knack for it. I'm assuming that by conventional reel you are referring to spinning - Personally i have good luck with Ugly Stick GX2 rods, they are priced $60 and under, and have some good whip for casting distance. They are available in H, MH, and M stiffness, I believe I have the 6'6, 7', 7'6, and 9', 9' being used from shore/pier and can zing a nice 2oz pretty far out.
      To clarify, I don't mean I spinning reel. By conventional reel I mean the round baitcasting style reels that are usually a bit larger like the Penn level wind reels. Those reels can "cast" but seem to primarily be used for trolling or bottom fishing at ships/ piling, etc. I actually thought that most baitcasting reels had the "trigger" but as I have researched to match the reel, I see that "trolling" rods which still fall into the "baitcaster" category don't have a trigger on the rod. So I'm wondering whether my rod for the purposes that I described - a medium/heavy for use as a light trolling rod or live-lining/bottom fishing at the bridge should have a trigger or just be a straight rod.
      Ocean Kayak Trident 13

Comment

The trigger is great for flipping or pitching rods when your only holding the rod with one hand and line and lure in the other. I think it is mainly your personal preference. Most of my baitcaster and conventional setups do not have a trigger.

Comment

Without breaking the bank the "Tsunami XT" casting rods are very nice and do not have the trigger. I own 2 of them and I'm very pleased with their performance. These rods are a medium-heavy, moderate action rod and extremely light. I have the 601 MH model which is the 6 foot long rod but they have other lengths available. I have no problem casting a 1-3oz lure or weight 30 yards with the load-up that these rods supply. I use these rods for big fish bottom fishing and trolling bigger tandem rigs with my conventional Shimano reels. I paid 55$ at Alltackle in Annapolis.
          Last edited by supfisher01; 02-22-2017, 03:51 PM.

Comment

If it is more of a bottom fishing reel like a 9m or a penn 209, Long Beach, or really anything with higher sides I tend to use a conventional rod. These rods are more suited for jigging,dropping bait to the bottom, or trolling. With the high sides you can't really wrap your hand around the reel and rod unless your Andre the giant. Trigger rods are great for light jigging or casting lures. For round reels like the abu c3 and c4 type of reels I use trigger rods. It comes down to personal preference really. But those round penns I would recommend a standard conventional rod.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Desert Camo- Moken 14
            Tan- Tarpon 140

Comment

Don't underestimate the bass pro graphite series rods. I didn't check this year but they usually go on sale for $30 during the spring fishing event and a few other times throughout the year. I'll always favor my St Croix but the graphite series are not far behind and are a great value for the low cost. Realistically if you are using it to troll or bottom fish you don't need a $100 rod because you aren't holding it waiting to feel a sensitive bite.

Mike

Comment

So it sounds like all the casting rods are "conventional" and the issue is only whether they have a trigger or not. And it sounds like the lighter/ smaller reels do better on the rods with a trigger but it helps with casting and jigging. The big reels, which I guess we don't necessarily use on kayaks, require 2 hands to cast. But both of the reels I'm talking about are relatively small so its just a question of whether I want the trigger or not. I guess I don't know as these are my first casting reels, but sounds like most ppl have a trigger so I'll start there on a more economical rod. That sound about right? Thanks everyone for your responses.
                Ocean Kayak Trident 13

Comment

What reel did you purchase?

Comment

Its the Penn Squall 20 and the Abu Revo Premier. Already decided on the St. Croix mojo medium fast action (with trigger) for the premier. My question was with the Penn. I intend to troll and occasionally bottom fish (for the largest fish I can find) with it. I wasn't sure whether the "trigger" would be a problem with the trolling or perhaps necessary for the bottom fishing so I'm trying to make a good choice. Not super concerned with weight because I won't really be holding it unless the business end of it is use so i was thinking MH fast action. All my other kayak rods are 7' so I just assumed i would look at the same length unless some other reason changed my mind - like I couldn't match that screaming Penn gold/orange color!
                    Ocean Kayak Trident 13

Comment

Nice! They make the tsunami xt in 7 foot as well. The trigger is not nessasary for trolling and in fact may even become a nuisance. Either way, If ever get a big enough fish on the end of your line you will most likely not be holding your rod at the trigger portion but above the reel for more leverage. Your squall is pretty much the same size as my Shimano 2000 and it feels perfect in the rod.

Comment

Here's how I look at it (I've been in your conundrum before). I like a trigger for rigs I'll be casting repeatedly. For instance my bass rods, lighter bait caster setups, etc.

But for my power house rods that are mainly used for big baits, and which I'm occasionally torquing on with both hands, I like a bulky conventional rod.

Zack
                        Camo 2014 OK Trident Ultra 4.7
                        Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T
                        "WV RiverRat" on Youtube.

Comment

I wouldn't be the least bit concerned about the trigger reelseat style handle for use trolling on a kayak- maybe if I were marlin fishing on a 63 foot fly bridge I would be using a bent butt aluminum straddle roller guide rod with 80#-100#...but for a kayak trolling rod- even for giant red drum- I would use what I currently use- St. Croix Avid 6'6' medium heavy and Avid 7' heavy action casting rod with 30# braid...and they have trigger handles
                          "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                          2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                          "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                          Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Working...
                          X