FishingIn South West Florida

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FishingIn South West Florida

I just got back from a week and a half trip to SW Florida. I fished Estero bay Near Lovers key, Pine Island sound near Sanibel and Everglades National park. I did not catch many trout, averaging 2 or 3 per day. My largest was 19 inches. I did catch a lot of small snook up to 20 inches. I also caught Mangrove snappers, lady fish and a couple jacks and 1 small grouper. I had never fished the Everglades before and I liked it a lot. My 2 days there were my best days. I caught trout, snook and a redfish both days. A big red fish on the first day would have been my personal best but it broke the leader when I tried to lift him in the yak. I also watched a huge fish (probably a tarpon) hit my spoon about 8 feet from the yak but I didn't hook it . I targeting moving water by the Mangroves. I used spoons and swim baits and I caught most of my fish on spoons.

Impressive list of catches.

That's a very productive trip.

Were you with a guide or entirely on your own?
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I was entirely on my own. I fished estero and Sanibel 2 years ago when I was down there but had never fished the everglades at all. I was in the 1000 islands area. A good gps is required. On my second day there my battery went up. I thought I was going deeper into the mangroves but surprisingly ended up back where I started, so I fished the rest of the day within sight of the launch. Next time I will take 2 batteries.

Comment

Originally posted by mike o View Post
        I was entirely on my own. I fished estero and Sanibel 2 years ago when I was down there but had never fished the everglades at all. I was in the 1000 islands area. A good gps is required. On my second day there my battery went up. I thought I was going deeper into the mangroves but surprisingly ended up back where I started, so I fished the rest of the day within sight of the launch. Next time I will take 2 batteries.
        Then your catches (and sense of direction) are even more impressive!
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

As for my sense of direction I thought I was heading away from the launch when I was actually heading towards it

Comment

Working...
          X