Beachwood Park -- Tuesday, 21 February

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beachwood Park -- Tuesday, 21 February

John Rentch and I will be launching at Beachwood Park on the upper Magothy at 9:00 a.m. Tuesday, 21 February.

Launch specifics:
    http://archive.aacounty.org/recparks.../beachwood.cfm

Please join us as we fish we fish for white and yellow perch and pickerel.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Well...John and I showed up at 0900 as advertised and splashed down with optimism at 0920 after the long trek to the water:

P1010557.jpg P1010556.jpg P1010558.jpg

We came back to the launch approximately 2 hours later a bit deflated and very much fishless. We huffed and puffed our way up the daunting Beachwood summit and vowed to do better next time as we loaded our gear. The fish simply were not interested in our jigs and spinners today.

The weather was nice -- a little chilly but the wind was tolerable. Other anglers were doing better. A minnow launcher from a dock displayed a nice stringer of perch. And the shore anglers were working the cove. I imagine something kept them standing in the shady cove and cold water.

I hope that we at the least readied the perch and picks for those who followed us on the water today.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Comment

Sorry to hear, guys. That was pretty much my story last time I was there until I switched over to live bait. Luckily, Yakscientist brought live minnows that he was willing to share. Minnows hooked onto a 1/8oz jig was the ticket for me. I tried a variety of different cast and retrieve techniques and speeds but what worked that day was: cast and let sink to bottom, then a very very slow (probably 1/2-1 rotation of my spinning reel per second) retrieve with a slight jig or two every 2-4 seconds. That same technique next to a floating pier is how I hooked up to the last pickerel I caught as well.

Comment

Originally posted by supfisher01 View Post
        Sorry to hear, guys. That was pretty much my story last time I was there until I switched over to live bait. Luckily, Yakscientist brought live minnows that he was willing to share. Minnows hooked onto a 1/8oz jig was the ticket for me. I tried a variety of different cast and retrieve techniques and speeds but what worked that day was: cast and let sink to bottom, then a very very slow (probably 1/2-1 rotation of my spinning reel per second) retrieve with a slight jig or two every 2-4 seconds. That same technique next to a floating pier is how I hooked up to the last pickerel I caught as well.
        Thank you.

I was encouraged by the good weather and the fact I hooked a few decent perch on my last visit there with artificials But there is no denying that live minnows produce pullage at Beachwood at this time of year.
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Comment

I plan on fishing my home river tomorrow morning from 7:00 til 10:30 in hopes of finding a few pickerel. I know it's very short notice but if you or John would like to join, you're both more than welcome.

Comment

I plan on fishing my home river tomorrow morning from 7:00 til 10:30 in hopes of finding a few pickerel. I know it's very short notice but if you or John would like to join, you're both more than welcome.
            Thank you very much but I'm already committed tomorrow for a freshwater outing.

Good luck with the Severn picks. They have been scarce all winter.
            Mark
            Pasadena, MD

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
              Thank you very much but I'm already committed tomorrow for a freshwater outing.

Good luck with the Severn picks. They have been scarce all winter.
              Ok. Thank you and good luck to you as well.

Comment

Man!! The Severn has not been nice to me this winter. No fish at all! The most action I had was foul hooking 2 large carp with an 1/8 oz jig head. I was surprised to see them in the main portion of the river as opposed to the very upper Severn and it's coves that they normally hold in.

Comment

Man!! The Severn has not been nice to me this winter. No fish at all! The most action I had was foul hooking 2 large carp with an 1/8 oz jig head. I was surprised to see them in the main portion of the river as opposed to the very upper Severn and it's coves that they normally hold in.
                  You're not alone. The Severn has been very stingy this winter to many of us. I went to an Eastern Shore pond today and found three pickerels willing to bite my 1/8 oz. jig and Mr. Twister. Here's the largest:

P1010567.jpg

When I saw its head come out of the water I thought it might be a citation fish. But the Hawg Trough, AKA the fisherman's lie detector, proved otherwise.

My other two picks were 15 inches each.

Let's hope the Severn wakes up.
                  Mark
                  Pasadena, MD

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                    You're not alone. The Severn has been very stingy this winter to many of us. I went to an Eastern Shore pond today and found three pickerels willing to bite my 1/8 oz. jig and Mr. Twister. Here's the largest:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20964[/ATTACH]

When I saw its head come out of the water I thought it might be a citation fish. But the Hawg Trough, AKA the fisherman's lie detector, proved otherwise.

My other two picks were 15 inches each.

Let's hope the Severn wakes up.
                    Nice fish!! Congrats on your hook ups!

Comment

Working...
                    X