No replacement for time on the water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No replacement for time on the water

So I went out on another Severn scouting expedition. Ran all the way up to Severn Run, past the flats and all the carp. There were a few small schools of undersized yellow perch making there way up the run. I played around with them a bit and then made my way back down to Weems where I launched. I only brought ultralight perch gear with 4 pound braid but I decided to try jigging in a deep hole to see if there was anything biting. Just before I dropped the jig I saw two big swirls at the surface, kinda unexpected with the water being so deep 40 feet plus. So I cast at the swirls and something hit hard while it was dropping with no retrieve. Then it started head shaking and I realized that it was probably a rockfish. Sure enough about a half dozen casts and 3 fish just before sunset. I left them biting for the rest of you to catch tomorrow.
    Below is the gratuitous 20 inches, bending the rod and shaking just like all the rest of the 20 inchers.
    But the pullage was nice on ultralight tackle and it's nice to see some action back in my home waters.
    https://youtu.be/hyUVhCE9xNI

Looks like you found a good bite in the Creek, nice! That's quite a hike from the Severn Run all the way to Weems Creek. Did you drive and re-launch?

Also, good to hear there are at least a few fledgling yellow perch getting up into the Severn Run to spawn. Maybe there is a glimmer of
    hope for Severn YP.

Comment

Originally posted by dirtyjake237 View Post
      So I went out on another Severn scouting expedition. Ran all the way up to Severn Run, past the flats and all the carp. There were a few small schools of undersized yellow perch making there way up the run. I played around with them a bit and then made my way back down to Weems where I launched. I only brought ultralight perch gear with 4 pound braid but I decided to try jigging in a deep hole to see if there was anything biting. Just before I dropped the jig I saw two big swirls at the surface, kinda unexpected with the water being so deep 40 feet plus. So I cast at the swirls and something hit hard while it was dropping with no retrieve. Then it started head shaking and I realized that it was probably a rockfish. Sure enough about a half dozen casts and 3 fish just before sunset. I left them biting for the rest of you to catch tomorrow.
      Below is the gratuitous 20 inches, bending the rod and shaking just like all the rest of the 20 inchers.
      But the pullage was nice on ultralight tackle and it's nice to see some action back in my home waters.
      https://youtu.be/hyUVhCE9xNI
      Nice work! I've tried for yellows and pickerel a handful of times this year in the mid/upper Severn and have had little success with yellow perch and zero success with pickerel. I'll be trying it out again very soon. Congrats on your stripers!

Comment

Are there any places to launch in the upper severn? Up near benfield rd?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by firsttimer View Post
          Are there any places to launch in the upper severn? Up near benfield rd?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          They're all private communities. I live in one of the communities across from Severna Park which has 4 different beaches that I can launch from. If you're ever interested message me and I can be your host. I've offered several times on Snaggedline before and the offer still stands. I have gotten other members hooked up to fish in my main haunts and if not at least showed them places where fish normally hold.

Comment

Working...
          X