Beachwood tomorrow AM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beachwood tomorrow AM

Fishing tomorrow with supfisher out of beachwood, launching around 7am. All are welcome to attend.

Lucky. I'll be at work. Keep us posted
    2016 Ascend H12

Comment

Lucky, if it was Monday I would go.
      2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

Good luck.
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Hope you guys get some decent strikes. The weather is looking great for the weekend and I'm overdue for an adventure!

Just another day in the sun...
          Gregory
          ​Ain't Misbehavin'
          2014 Pro Angler 12
          '

Comment

Any luck today?

This weekend is shaping up for some fantastic weather!
            Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

At first it looked like we weren't going to be able to get out there due to the ice coverage but it was pretty thin ice so Yakscientist cut through the ice and I followed. Thanks for that, buddy!!

I'll let Yakscientist share his own story from today but my day went better than expected.

We get to the area we wanted to fish and I immediately cast and retrieve with pausing and light jigging. I tried under piers, towards shore, and towards the channel from the piers with a bust'em bait soft plastic meant to mimic grass shrimp hooked to a white 1/8oz jig. No luck for the first 20 minutes so I changed over to a white soft plastic minnow hooked to a chartreuse 1/8oz jig and repeated the same cast and retrieve, still no luck.

I head over to where yakscientist is anchored and he offers me some live worms and live minnows which I happily accept. I anchor closer to shore from him and put a tandem bottom rig on one of my lines with one worm and one minnow on it and let it sink. I then use the live minnow hooked to the same chartreuse 1/8 oz jig head I was using earlier. I cast and retrieve the minnow in the same fashion as earlier and it was on!

I hooked up to 9 undersized yellow perch like this one...

1 - keeper yellow perch ....

And a 19" pickerel

All of my fish were the result of cast and retrieving a minnow hooked on a chartreuse jig. I had zero luck on my bottom rig which had both baits on it.
              Last edited by supfisher01; 02-17-2017, 04:29 PM.

Comment

Nice pickerel.

I figured you guys would run into ice this morning. It was indeed below freezing last night but I think that little valley where Beachwood lies is colder than reported temperatures for Pasadena. I've seen ice there when stated temperatures were above freezing the night before my visit.
                Mark
                Pasadena, MD

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                  Nice pickerel.

I figured you guys would run into ice this morning. It was indeed below freezing last night but I think that little valley where Beachwood lies is colder than reported temperatures for Pasadena. I've seen ice there when stated temperatures were above freezing the night before my visit.
                  Thanks, mark!

Yeah, it was still frozen at the launch when we returned at noon.

Comment

Here's a couple shots of another Snaggedline member, Tom Lagana, rolling through looking for yellow perch too. I think he said he caught 2 keepers.

Comment

Nice trip! Glad you guys were successful. Sounds like minnows are the ticket for the yellow perch. Thanks for sharing the pics.
                      Gregory
                      ​Ain't Misbehavin'
                      2014 Pro Angler 12
                      '

Comment

Good work Steve. There are perch in that area, but they are not usually easy targets. It takes some exploring and trying different methods. I am tired of dealing with ice cover in some of my fishing spots. Come on spring.
                        John Veil
                        Annapolis
                        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Yeah I ended up with 4 keeper perch, 2 around 12" (one almost 13", absolute whopper), and 2 10" fish. I caught a few small pumpkinseed, which were a nice treat, wasn't expecting them. I think I'm going back out tomorrow, hopefully with similar luck. Would like to find some white perch as well. The ticket for me was minnows on the small jigs i had, or on double hook bottom rigs, each time with a bit of worm attached as well.

Comment

Originally posted by yakscientist View Post
                            Yeah I ended up with 4 keeper perch, 2 around 12" (one almost 13", absolute whopper), and 2 10" fish. I caught a few small pumpkinseed, which were a nice treat, wasn't expecting them. I think I'm going back out tomorrow, hopefully with similar luck. Would like to find some white perch as well. The ticket for me was minnows on the small jigs i had, or on double hook bottom rigs, each time with a bit of worm attached as well.
                            Interesting about the pumpkinseeds. I did not know they were present in that area. Did they bite your minnows?

I caught 3 white perch at Beachwood on 14 Feb. at 8, 10 and 12 inches on a yellow Mr. Twister. I was surprised to see them there that early.
                            Mark
                            Pasadena, MD

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                              Interesting about the pumpkinseeds. I did not know they were present in that area. Did they bite your minnows?

I caught 3 white perch at Beachwood on 14 Feb. at 8, 10 and 12 inches on a yellow Mr. Twister. I was surprised to see them there that early.
                              I think they might've bitten at the minnows, but were probably more attracted to the small pieces of nightcrawler. The pumpkinseeds were only about 3-4 inches max.

Comment

Working...
                              X