Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Here - Introduction... Back in the Saddle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Here - Introduction... Back in the Saddle?

Seasalt here. I'm contemplating getting back in the kayak fishing game after almost 10+ years. My first kayak was an orange Wilderness System Tarpon 120.

Posting here to see if I can get some advice on how to get started. I have narrowed the kayak to Native Slayer 12 Propel. Now I need to research all the accessories I will need and want. I will primarily fish C. Bay (Severn, North Beach, Bushwood, Sandy Point, Terrapin Park) and sometimes venture out for togs at Delaware (Cape Henlopen) or VA Beach.

Where is the best place to purchase the kayak and accessories? I see that Delaware Paddle Sports is good because you don't have to pay taxes. I'm in Northern VA so it is a 3 hour drive.

Also, what is the best option for transporting the kayak on a sedan (Acura)? I'm comparing Thule and Rhino systems right now.
    2015 Hobie Revolution 11

Welcome back to the kayak fishing sport. I commend your choice of a Native kayak. I ask for some clarification because the model (Slayer 12 Propel) you mention does not exist. In the Slayer Propel family, the existing choices are a Slayer Propel 10 and a Slayer Propel 13. There is a Slayer 12 and Slayer 14.5 in paddle-powered version. Finally, the latest release from Native is their innovative Slayer 12 Propel LT -- the first ever pedal-powered kayak produced using thermo-forming technology. Please let us know which one you are looking at. Native makes other pedal-powered kayaks too -- Manta Ray 12 Propel, Ultimate FX Propel 13, and the new big boy Titan 13.5 Propel.

There are several Native dealers in the region. The closest ones to Annapolis are CD Outdoors in Centreville and Annapolis Canoe and Kayak in Annapolis. Other Native dealers are somewhat farther away. Delaware Paddlesports has been active in the Snaggedline community and made many sales of Native and other brands to our members. In southern Maryland, Patuxent Adventure Center sells Native products in Leonardtown.

Regarding accessories, I urge some caution about rushing out and accessorizing your kayak immediately. Start with the bare necessities -- paddle, PFD, fishing license, etc. -- and use the kayak on the water once or twice. You can then add items that will make your fishing experience more fun and productive. Items in this category include FF/GPS, rod holders, storage boxes, crates, or pouches. Many kayak anglers love to further accessorize by adding live wells, anchor trolleys, camera mounts, nets, coolers, and other gear. By getting to know your kayak without all the gear, you can better figure out which items you want and how and where you will place/mount them on your kayak. Good luck.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Welcome back, hope to see you on the water this spring as I fish the same waters as you. I have an orange Slayer 10 and orange Ultimate 12.
      John Rentch
      Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
      Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Wow... three Johns in a row. My name is John also.

John V., my mistake. I was looking at Slayer 13 Propel. Looks like 2017 model has few extra accessories compared to 2016. thanks for the advice. I'm a minimalist so I prefer to not drill a hole in a kayak if not necessary, similar to drilling holes in my brain or any part of my body. Don't do it unless it's necessary!
        Last edited by Seasalt; 02-16-2017, 12:16 PM.
        2015 Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

I'll break the John trend but I will also say welcome back.

I hope to see you in the Severn this year.

I wish I had known about kayak fishing 10 years ago -- many good years on the water lost, as I look at it now.
          Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
          Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
          Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Thank you Mark.

Ironically about ~11 years ago when Hobie was first releasing the Revolutions, they needed a name for their new yak. Guess who's name was chosen? Mine. Yes, definitely want to fish the Severn this year. The distance from Northern Virginia is about right for an early morning trip... be home by noon.
            2015 Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Would those of us from Virginia that have a Salt and Fresh Water license need to get a MD license to fish the Severn? I have also posed that question to fish the Susquehanna Flats.

Comment

Oh, and welcome here. I am newer myself.

It would be nice for some of us VA guys to meet up somewhere and fish this spring/

Comment

HeaveToo, your saltwater license for VA is good for Maryland. There is a reciprocal agreement.

Yeah, once the water warms up, we should plan a trip to Severn...
                  2015 Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

That isn't a bad idea. I am not familiar with it.

I am really wanting to hit Point Lookout State Park this year. That place looks promising!

Comment

Where in NOVA are you? I will probably hit the Occoquan on Monday and Tuesday afternoon.

Comment

Originally posted by Seasalt View Post
                        Thank you Mark.

Ironically about ~11 years ago when Hobie was first releasing the Revolutions, they needed a name for their new yak. Guess who's name was chosen? Mine. Yes, definitely want to fish the Severn this year. The distance from Northern Virginia is about right for an early morning trip... be home by noon.
                        I hope you got a boat out of that!

See you on the water.
                        Mark
                        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Seasalt View Post
                          HeaveToo, your saltwater license for VA is good for Maryland. There is a reciprocal agreement.

Yeah, once the water warms up, we should plan a trip to Severn...
                          The VA tidal license is reciprocal with the MD tidal license. However, the non-tidal (freshwater) licenses are not reciprocal. Further, neither MD nor VA are reciprocal with the District of Columbia.

For MD tidal license holders, in order to use your license in VA, you need to register with the Virginia Marine Fisheries Commission (no cost, but you could be fined if you do not do this). http://mrc.virginia.gov/fip/

I do not know if VA tidal license holders must do the same in MD.
                          John Veil
                          Annapolis
                          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by HeaveToo View Post
                            Where in NOVA are you? I will probably hit the Occoquan on Monday and Tuesday afternoon.
                            I'm in Clifton but I haven't bought my yak yet. I will probably start fishing in May. As for Point Lookout, it is a far drive 2.5+ hours... almost same drive as Ocean City or Delaware.
                            2015 Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Point Lookout is a two hour drive according to Waze. I am very familiar with that section of river from years of sailing through it.

Let me know if you want to get a look at a Vibe Sea Ghost. It has to be the best bang for the buck in the kayak world. I love mine.

Comment

Working...
                              X