Show off your rig!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Show off your rig!

When first joining Snaggedline there was a topic where everyone showed off there kayaks and what they had done to them. As spring is coming closer I'm sure we have all added something to each of our kayaks for this upcoming season, and now is the time to show it off. Hopefully this topic will spark some conversations and get some ideas flowing for both new and old members alike. I know when first joining I always wanted to see how everyone was set up to get ideas for my own kayak. So I encourage all members to show off your rig, and talk about it some! Tight lines everyone!

Here is my Malibu 2xl rigged for a tandem setup with a cooler that has 4 rod holders and also a holder for a net. On the back I have a ammo can with a triple rod holder. Also I have an anchor trolley on the left hand side of the kayak. The only future mods are to install the large center hatch and a rod holder up front.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Desert Camo- Moken 14
    Tan- Tarpon 140

I am a minimalist when it comes to rigging.

For my Revo I waited two years before I drilled two holes in it. I did that when I installed a fish finder. Here is the cockpit area:

P1000539.jpg P1000541.jpg

My goal is to keep the cockpit clean so that I can fly fish without tangling my stripped line onto attachments or tools on my deck. I use a BlackPak for storage but primarily it serves as the foundation for my rod holders. I have Scotty fly rod holders in the above photo but I can convert them to conventional rod holders for trolling.

Also, for the benefit of fly casting I keep my left gunnel clear. I cast predominantly to the left being right-handed. Therefore my fish finder and paddle are on the right gunnel and nothing is on the left to tangle with line.

P1000543.jpg P1000544.jpg

My Ultimate 12 has not been cut, drilled or modified in any way. Again, I use a crate (a regular one, not the BlackPak) primarily as a rod holder and I keep my left gunnel clear for fly casting. I clip my paddle into the factory installed tracks on the right gunnel when fly casting so that the paddle does not interfere with my line while I am stripping it. Otherwise, when I use conventional tackle, my paddle sits in my lap.

P1010619.jpg P1010240.jpg

As you can see, I am no rigging expert. I've purposely done as little rigging as possible to both of my kayaks. But if I can offer rigging advice to those new to the hobby it would be this. Fish with your boat for numerous outings before you drill it, cut it or glue anything onto it. You need to learn how you will actually use your boat and the only way to do that is with you being in it on the water. You can't do that while it sits in your garage or backyard. Only by fishing in your boat will you know precisely where you want various attachments placed.
    Last edited by Mark; 02-16-2017, 09:29 AM.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I own a 2016 Jackson Cuda 14. I always carry more than I will use but always did. I have a HOOK5 and both conventional and fly fish.
      Attached Files

Comment

GOPR0069.jpgGOPR0072.jpg
        Well no one ever accused me of being a minimalist. This 2014 Pro Angler 12 doesn't have many modifications, but enough to keep me comfortable. It has 3 batteries, a solar panel trickle charger, Lowrance FF, Super Nova light kit, Mirage Drive with Turbo fins, anchor trolley, Black Pack (in white), a DIY PVC rod holder, dry bag with change of clothing in the forward hatch, first aid and survival kit in the rear circular hatch, and a 24lb thrust Water Snake electric motor. I normally have two GoPro cameras on board, 4 fishing rods, collapsible net, 3lb anchor with 75 feet of line, PFD, and a Hawg Trough to measure my catch. I recently picked up a Hobie Livewell that I plan to use in an alternate configuration without the crate. Additionally, my seat cushion is a floatation device. When you're on the water for hours at a time comfort is critical.
        Gregory
        ​Ain't Misbehavin'
        2014 Pro Angler 12
        '

Comment

IMG_1820.jpg

Just added motor, cant figure out how to rotate photo
          Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
          Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

Zack
            Camo 2014 OK Trident Ultra 4.7
            Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T
            "WV RiverRat" on Youtube.

Comment

Originally posted by sega View Post

This is an awesome picture!! Where did you camp out and how was the fishing?

Comment

Now that's how I want to spend a night out of my yak! nice.

2016 Hobie Mirage Outback Olive
                LOWRANCE Hook7

Comment

Not much to see above the waterline on my Outback- pretty minimalistic setup- one of the best things I did is install the Hobie battery holder in the rear hatch and the thru-hull electrical plugs for the Lowrance ready transducer mount which I have replaced with the Berkley Pro Hummingbird side scan transducer mount. Hard to see but I installed the aluminum YakAttack rails with backing plates for versatility in mounting accessories in all four trays- 6 inch rails up front and 12 inch rails in the sides...like Mark, I am right handed and my Hummingbird 798 ci HD combo is mounted on a one inch Ram ball mount in the right front tray- clean thru-hull waterproof electrical plugs finish the electronics mounting...I have two forward mounted Revolution Ram rod holders on 1 1/2 inch ball mounts and a Ram Iphone mount on a YakAttack short panfish camera mount...it sometimes comes and other times stays off the boat, a YakAttack anchor trolley on the left side of the boat...and I had decals made with the Lady Luck name for both sides of the hull...pretty basic rigging, but it is just the way I like it...I did make a PVC (slide into the two rod holders behind the seat) rocket launcher type multiple rod holder...that adds lots of rod storage to the boat...
                  Last edited by ronaultmtd; 03-10-2017, 08:43 AM.
                  "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                  2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                  "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                  Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

I recently took some photos of my Ultimate for a presentation I will be doing on kayak fly fishing.

My Ultimate is rigged for fly fishing and I accomplished that by...doing absolutely nothing to it other than adding paddle clips in the rails that came standard with the boat. I really like using this boat.

P1010547.jpg P1010550.jpg P1010551.jpg
                    Mark
                    Pasadena, MD

Comment

Nice yak and campground! Where is that?
                      2015 Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

A few years back, I fished with a Florida Space Coast kayak guide (Rob) who provided me with a Native kayak- looks like the same one, but it might not be the exact same model...we fished around Merritt Island National Wildife Refruge on the East Coast in the Indian River Lagoons for tarpon, snook, redfish and speckled trout...the kayak was very functional and was very easy to paddle- seat was comfortable and it tracked well...like all kayaks there are trade-offs- the open cockpit layout is fine in calm waters, but I would be concerned about taking it out in the Chesapeake Bay and the hull filling with water in a storm or heavy chop...
                        "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                        2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                        "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                        Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Ron,

You're correct. It's my small water boat -- comfortable and great for ponds and tidal creeks. However I have crossed the Severn with it in choppy water without concern. It cuts through waves nicely but it can indeed take on water. It has no scuppers. The tradeoff for that is its single hull design and its light weight. It's a joy to transport and paddle.

Mine is the 12 foot version. I have used Ultimate 14.5 numerous times in Florida on guided trips. Here's a photo of me in one:

Ultimate 6.jpg

I have been in some rough conditions in it far from shore in FL and taken on enough water that it was sloshing about my feet. But the boat remained stable and viable despite the water intake.

Here in MD I reserve my Revo for big water.
                          Mark
                          Pasadena, MD

Comment

For everyone asking I was camping near Chincoteague island. Fishing was okay, lots of bottom fish, and croaker. Caught a 20-30lb sandbar shark, and saw a lot of BIG rays.

Zack
                            Camo 2014 OK Trident Ultra 4.7
                            Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T
                            "WV RiverRat" on Youtube.

Comment

Took this one yesterday on my local beach

P4020181.jpg

All lit up

P4110064.jpg
                              2015 Hobie Outback
                              2001 Dagger Cayman