Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Show off your rig!

Quote Originally Posted by sega View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Nice yak and campground! Where is that?

A few years back, I fished with a Florida Space Coast kayak guide (Rob) who provided me with a Native kayak- looks like the same one, but it might not be the exact same model...we fished around Merritt Island National Wildife Refruge on the East Coast in the Indian River Lagoons for tarpon, snook, redfish and speckled trout...the kayak was very functional and was very easy to paddle- seat was comfortable and it tracked well...like all kayaks there are trade-offs- the open cockpit layout is fine in calm waters, but I would be concerned about taking it out in the Chesapeake Bay and the hull filling with water in a storm or heavy chop...
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Outback
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13

Ron,

You're correct. It's my small water boat -- comfortable and great for ponds and tidal creeks. However I have crossed the Severn with it in choppy water without concern. It cuts through waves nicely but it can indeed take on water. It has no scuppers. The tradeoff for that is its single hull design and its light weight. It's a joy to transport and paddle.

Mine is the 12 foot version. I have used Ultimate 14.5 numerous times in Florida on guided trips. Here's a photo of me in one:

Ultimate 6.jpg

I have been in some rough conditions in it far from shore in FL and taken on enough water that it was sloshing about my feet. But the boat remained stable and viable despite the water intake.

Here in MD I reserve my Revo for big water.
    Mark

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12

Author: The Simple Joys of Kayak Fishing (Tips and Tales From an Old Guy in His Plastic Boat)
    Available on Amazon.com

For everyone asking I was camping near Chincoteague island. Fishing was okay, lots of bottom fish, and croaker. Caught a 20-30lb sandbar shark, and saw a lot of BIG rays.

Zack
    Camo 2014 OK Trident Ultra 4.7
    Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T
    "WV RiverRat" on Youtube.

Took this one yesterday on my local beach

P4020181.jpg

All lit up

P4110064.jpg
    2015 Hobie Outback
    2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Here is one of my moken, I keep all my kayaks simple three rods tops, a fish finder, and a ammo can as a milk crate. This time I set up a camera mount as well.

Desert Camo- Moken 14
    Tan- Tarpon 140

2015 Ocean Prowler Big Game II (woo hoo, got a real one!)

This is an 2013 pic, but nothing hasn't really changed on my 2011 ocean kayak torque. I like to keep it simple, no cams or fish finders(don't need distractions when fishing). I carry two fishing rods most of the time (sometimes three depending on fish target), my Sams Club thermal insulated bag, basic black crate(I attached a white triple rod holder), A large Plano waterproof stowaway utility box, and emergency equipment. I utilize google maps and charts, gives me an idea of depth range.

10441051_10152739865075659_8669925242395088454_n.jpg