Looking for new kayak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for new kayak

My wife and I recently moved to the Annapolis area and live within a half mile of the bay. Which means I'm looking to get a kayak. While I anticipate doing some fishing from the kayak, I expect to use it for recreational purposes the majority of the time. I was looking at the Tarpon 120/Angler initially and after stopping at ACK, I'm also considering the 2017 Trident 13.

So I'm curious to your thoughts about both of these kayaks. I plan on demoing those and possibly others before purchasing.

I'm 5'10" and weigh about 225 and have some kayak experience predominantly in SIK on quiet rivers.

Another option you may want to consider is the Vibe Sea Ghost 130. It is similar to the other two you mentioned, but comes at a lower price with more features (paddle, rudder, etc.) than most other kayaks for no extra cost. I picked one up last summer and I couldn't be happier with it.
    Joe

2020 Vibe Shearwater 125

Comment

Originally posted by rugbyfish View Post
      Another option you may want to consider is the Vibe Sea Ghost 130. It is similar to the other two you mentioned, but comes at a lower price with more features (paddle, rudder, etc.) than most other kayaks for no extra cost. I picked one up last summer and I couldn't be happier with it.
      A forum member, Steve, (Steve6902 or something) like that, is selling his Vibe kayak, with trolling motor attachment. You should look him up on here, he recently made a thread called "pulled the trigger" since he just got a new Hobie. Don't rule out used as well, kayaks tend to last with basic maintenance, since they're essentially just hunks of plastic. Craigslist and this forum (tackle shop) are great places to look for good deals on used kayaks which may have some features already installed (fishfinders, anchor trolleys, etc).

Comment

I will be speaking to the Severn River Association on Tues Feb 28 about “Fishing and Exploring the Severn River by Kayak”. The meeting will be at Union Jack’s pub in Annapolis. I will have at least one of my kayaks there that evening and will talk part of the time about choosing a kayak and rigging it for fishing. The meeting is open to the public.

For me the most important factors to consider when choosing a kayak include:
        - how will I manage it on land? (storage, transportation, movement on land - these are weight and length issues)
        - how comfortable is the seat? (seating style, design, padding, etc. - this determines how long you can stay in the kayak)
        - how is it propelled (paddle, pedals, electric motor)
        - how stable is it and how well does it move through the water?

There are many other factors too, but make sure you keep those in mind.
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

If you are going to paddle long distances I recommend that you get a longer kayak and avoid anything less than 13 feet.

Comment

I should have noted that I was looking at the Tarpon series in general and considering the 140 as well. Was definitely considering nothing less than 12 feet in my search.

Comment

Long and narrow are usually good for tracking and speed but short and wide is good for maneuvering and stability. Always a trade off unfortunately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Just passing this along....good luck in your search!

Hobie Fishing Team Member
                Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
                2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

I use to own a tarpon 140 and it was a great do it all kinda kayak in the bay and larger lakes in the area. When the waves kick up or with a large amount of boat wakes it made me a little nervous at times when reaching for items in the tank well. Currently my go to is a trident ultra. The tridents are a little slower then the tarpons but you gain some stability with there hull shape. At 225 in a tarpon 120 the water would be at the very top of the scuppers. I demoed one a couple years back and I'm 220. I also own a moken 14 which is nice also. My only issue with the moken is that the plastic has had issues denting if stored wrong. If you have any questions feel free to shoot me a message. Or if you want to demo one of my kayak we can set that up as well. I fish out of Jonas green a lot.

Desert Camo- Moken 14
                  Tan- Tarpon 140

Comment

Yeah....I will second the Vibe Seaghost 130. It paddles great and it is a lot of bang for the buck. They also have great customer support. I bought mine and I love it.

The Chesapeake Bay has some great fishing. I am more familiar with the Potomac River and Mid Bay but you aren't too far of a drive from some excellent spots.

If you are curious about the Sea Ghost you could always get with one of the members on here to look at one.

Comment

I have an Old Town Predator PDL for sale if interested
                      Zach Moore
                      Delaware Paddle Sports Fishing Team
                      Fishal Custom Baits Pro Staff
                      Bait Towel Pro Staff
                      2017 Hobie Pro Angler 12
                      YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSa...8WkC2WzHhAjVaQ

Comment

Yeah, look in the forum...there are a couple awesome deals right now. ...the boat fishtank is selling is awesome and I'm sure he has buffed every scratch out of it

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk
                        14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                        2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Originally posted by kevinfry View Post
                          Yeah, look in the forum...there are a couple awesome deals right now. ...the boat fishtank is selling is awesome and I'm sure he has buffed every scratch out of it

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk
                          Oh yeah! That is a great deal for an ultra! If you have the space for a 15' yak it's a hell of a deal.

Desert Camo- Moken 14
                          Tan- Tarpon 140

Comment

Working...
                          X