Think it'll catch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Think it'll catch?

Disappointed that I forgot to use my green thread. But I was eager to tie one tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Of course.

But save it for something other than winter yellow perch.

I tossed a similarly colored Clouser Minnow for quite a while today. I used an intermediate line and had the fly in the strike zone. I used a very slow retrieve to keep the fly down. I subtly twitched it. It wasn't until I switched to spinning rod with a jig and Mister Twister and used a creeping retrieve that I got a bite.

Some days the fish simply will not honor our efforts to create the perfect fly!

Good luck with yours. It will definitely work but maybe not precisely when you want it to work.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I like it! Nice going. What materials are you using?

Comment

Brian, You've got the fly-tying bug brother!
        Gregory
        ​Ain't Misbehavin'
        2014 Pro Angler 12
        '

Comment

Think it'll catch?

Originally posted by DanMarino View Post
          I like it! Nice going. What materials are you using?
          Thanks.
          The tail is marabou, deer hair top and bottom and some dubbing on the hook shank
          I tried drawing perch stripes on the top but I did them to close to eachother.

Comment

thats a good lookin bugger
            Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Tied up two deceivers tonight. I really need to stay away from YouTube and Google images....

Comment

Those are excellent deceivers, I couldn't disagree more.... Keep watching YouTube and searching Google of that is the outcome.

All I ever get from watching YouTube videos is a sticky phone and an overwhelming sense of shame and self loathing.

Comment

Knocked out two more clouser minnows. One is supposed to be a bull minnow and the other I hope is obvious.

Comment

Those look good.

Check this out. I tied my first crease fly last night.

I found a material to use instead of epoxy when you use soft fly bodies. It is the same stuff that I use on the front of my Shannon's minnows. It is cheap, you get a lot of it for the price, and it dries clear and has some flexibility.

Crease Fly.jpg

Comment

Pretty cool, I haven't even started looking at doing poppers yet.

Comment

Originally posted by brianisoutside View Post
                        Pretty cool, I haven't even started looking at doing poppers yet.

These work well and they're simple to make:

A.JPG B.JPG D.JPG

C.JPG C.JPG P1010523.jpg
                        Mark
                        Pasadena, MD

Comment

What are you using to make the popper head?

Comment

I use foam cylinders available at Bass Pro and many on-line fly shops.

They come in multiple colors and various diameters so that you can make small poppers for bluegills, and bigger ones for bass and even stripers.

The trick is cutting them to form.

For years I cut them freehand with a razor blade. The results were effective. Here's a style of mine that worked extremely well for stripers:

P1000444.jpg

But over the years, I wanted uniformity in shape. I had thought many times of making a jig to hold the foam cylinder as I cut it but I never got around to doing it. My dad was a toolmaker and all I had to do was to ask him to build one. Then I found this product on-line:

http://www.riverroadcreations.com/Ga...PopperJigs.htm

The Krebs Popper Jig allows me to make various sized poppers and to cut each size uniformly.

After cutting the size you want, you simply slit the popper along the belly, insert and glue the hook in place. Then you add a tail. You can get as fancy with the tail as you like. Here's one where I added hackle:

C1.JPG

But I've learned over the years that hackle on the tail is unnecessary. Fish bite them freely without the hackle and frankly, my goal in making flies is to make them quickly. If one takes more than 5 minutes or so to tie, it's not worth my effort because I know many simple fast ties work just fine.

You can also buy foam popper heads already formed at Bass Pro and on-line fly shops. I use them but not as much now that I have the Krebbs jig. Here are examples of those flies:

A.jpg H.jpg

For all my foam flies I add eyes using two different diameter nail heads and dipping them into acrylic hobby paint and then dabbing it onto the popper. I paint the eyes for me. The fish don't care.
                            Last edited by Mark; 02-17-2017, 04:00 PM.
                            Mark
                            Pasadena, MD

Comment

I wanted to try tying some perch jigs....

Comment

Working...
                              X