Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hobie Hatch Upgrade

This is 2012 outback.Well worth the money.I never like the round hatch from day one.Hobie should done this years ago.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by coop1486; 02-14-2017 at 07:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by silasvirus82 View Post

I used rails up front to mount my rod holders with backing plates, but I'd recommend just using regular Scotty mounts since there is no good way to prevent them from rotating. The gear head adapters are the issue and there is no alternative, but they do save space and allow you to remove them easily. I've heard Ram mounts will rotate also, so just stick with the basic Scotty stuff.
    You are correct that the Scotty gear head track adapters do rotate. Since they tighten in a clockwise direction, the rotation on the right side of the kayak following a fish strike will tighten the base. However, if you use the gear head track adapter on the left side of the kayak, a fish strike will tend to rotate the holder in a counter-clockwise direction, which loosens the base. From your photos I cannot tell if you have the lateral space to mount a standard Scotty base onto the gear track using two track slugs (or directly to the plastic area where you now have the track). I have done that on two Native Slayer Propel kayaks. It is a much more stable attachment point -- the third photo shows my front rod holder with an extender (this generates even more rotational force due to the additional leverage).

006_3.jpg 008_3.jpg 007_3.jpg

Another alternative that I explored before thinking of using a standard Scotty base was to run a bungee cord from the front left rod holder to a mounting point in front of the rod holder. If the left side rod holder got a fish strike and began to rotate counter-clockwise, the bungee would stretch and provide more resistance to turning. While this did help somewhat, it was a bit messy to have another loose cord in the cockpit area.

005_3.jpg
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11 and Slayer Propel 10
    Member - Pro Staff team for Native Watercraft

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" - light tackle fishing techniques for kayaks and small boats

Quote Originally Posted by J.A. Veil View Post
    You are correct that the Scotty gear head track adapters do rotate. Since they tighten in a clockwise direction, the rotation on the right side of the kayak following a fish strike will tighten the base. However, if you use the gear head track adapter on the left side of the kayak, a fish strike will tend to rotate the holder in a counter-clockwise direction, which loosens the base. From your photos I cannot tell if you have the lateral space to mount a standard Scotty base onto the gear track using two track slugs (or directly to the plastic area where you now have the track). I have done that on two Native Slayer Propel kayaks. It is a much more stable attachment point -- the third photo shows my front rod holder with an extender (this generates even more rotational force due to the additional leverage).

006_3.jpg 008_3.jpg 007_3.jpg

Another alternative that I explored before thinking of using a standard Scotty base was to run a bungee cord from the front left rod holder to a mounting point in front of the rod holder. If the left side rod holder got a fish strike and began to rotate counter-clockwise, the bungee would stretch and provide more resistance to turning. While this did help somewhat, it was a bit messy to have another loose cord in the cockpit area.

005_3.jpg
    Why not just pick up a couple of reverse (left hand threaded) nuts and bolts for your rod holders on the left side of the yak? You should be able to find these at an industrial fastener supplier or full-line hardware store.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I could be wrong, but I don't think left hand threaded bolts will thread into a right hand threaded receiver.
    2015 Hobie Outback
    2001 Dagger Cayman

John

I could be wrong, but I don't think left hand threaded bolts will thread into a right hand threaded receiver.
    Roger that. I thought you were just trying to secure the Scotty bracket to your rail.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There is a nut inside the Scotty rail adapter that would need to be replaced. I already look into it. Hobie has a rod holder that comes with buckles to keep it from twisting in the molded holders on the yak. It just goes to a pad eye on the front. I will do something like John has done only going to a pad eye.
    2017 Hobie Camo Outback
    2016 Vibe Sea Ghost

Quote Originally Posted by coop1486 View Post
    This is 2012 outback.Well worth the money.I never like the round hatch from day one.Hobie should done this years ago.
    Coop, what kind of seat is that/where did you get it? Your setup is very nice. Also is that a mini in the background?

Quote Originally Posted by yakscientist View Post
    Coop, what kind of seat is that/where did you get it? Your setup is very nice. Also is that a mini in the background?
    I'm pretty sure that's the Jackson seat modification to pre-2015 Outbacks. Be a great way to save some money if you want the lawn chair seat on an older boat.
    2015 Hobie Outback
    2001 Dagger Cayman

John

I'm pretty sure that's the Jackson seat modification to pre-2015 Outbacks. Be a great way to save some money if you want the lawn chair seat on an older boat.
    Your correct. I did the same. Coop mounted his to s piece of wood to keep it from sliding around. I just sit on mine, it slides around a bit but I'm ok with it that way for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by yakscientist View Post
    The seat is Jackson.Got the seat from DPS.No that's Kia soul.Thanks