Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hobie Hatch Upgrade

Default Hobie Hatch Upgrade

Has anyone done the rectangular hatch upgrade that goes on the Hobie floor and is it worth it?? DPS has the hatch for $110 plus $20 for the storge box slide in.
    2017 Hobie Camo Outback
    2016 Vibe Sea Ghost

I have a PA 14 with the rectangular hatch standard and I have an outback with the circular hatch. I much prefer the rectangular as it holds way more stuff and is way easier to access. I will be doing this upgrade on the outback when I get the nerve to cut into hull lol.

Steve,

Let me know when you get up the nerve and add the rectangular hatch to your kayak. When you work out the kinks and feel comfortable you can install one on mine!
    2015 Hobie Outback
    2015 Jackson Cuda 14

I thought you said the new ones come with the rectangular hatch? You saw mine, and yes it is absolutely worth it. Also, you're going the correct route with the drop-in bucket instead of the tackle management rack. The bucket holds two medium tackle boxes plus more anyway. All you need is a good jigsaw to cut the hole, it takes about an hour start to finish.
    2015 Hobie Outback
    2001 Dagger Cayman

John

I've been thinking about doing it as well. There are some great Youtube videos on it. Looks pretty simple, I was going to use my dremel tool.
    Keith

2015 Sand Hobie Outback

2017 Orange Camo Vibe Sea Ghost 130

2015 Camo Ascend FS12T

Silasvirus, I though they did but it's the Pro Angler that came standard. DPS has an Outback that the pimped out and that's why I thought it came standard.
    2017 Hobie Camo Outback
    2016 Vibe Sea Ghost

I've been thinking about doing mine. But I am having a hard time convincing myself to spend the money. I hardly use that hatch anyway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by brianisoutside View Post
    I've been thinking about doing mine. But I am having a hard time convincing myself to spend the money. I hardly use that hatch anyway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You'll use it if you had it I think.
    2015 Hobie Outback
    2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Silasvirus, can you post a pic of your front rod holder setup with the Scotty mounts. I'm also thinking about getting the Hobie rod holders that go on in the front rod holder. But I also have the Scotty mounts. Trying to see what it looks like. That and your setup is really nice. You should show everyone your livewell setup. Pure Genius.
    2017 Hobie Camo Outback
    2016 Vibe Sea Ghost

I used rails up front to mount my rod holders with backing plates, but I'd recommend just using regular Scotty mounts since there is no good way to prevent them from rotating. The gear head adapters are the issue and there is no alternative, but they do save space and allow you to remove them easily. I've heard Ram mounts will rotate also, so just stick with the basic Scotty stuff.
    2015 Hobie Outback
    2001 Dagger Cayman

John