Hobie Hatch Upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hobie Hatch Upgrade

Has anyone done the rectangular hatch upgrade that goes on the Hobie floor and is it worth it?? DPS has the hatch for $110 plus $20 for the storge box slide in.
    2017 Hobie PA14

I have a PA 14 with the rectangular hatch standard and I have an outback with the circular hatch. I much prefer the rectangular as it holds way more stuff and is way easier to access. I will be doing this upgrade on the outback when I get the nerve to cut into hull lol.

Comment

Steve,

Let me know when you get up the nerve and add the rectangular hatch to your kayak. When you work out the kinks and feel comfortable you can install one on mine!
      2018 Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

I thought you said the new ones come with the rectangular hatch? You saw mine, and yes it is absolutely worth it. Also, you're going the correct route with the drop-in bucket instead of the tackle management rack. The bucket holds two medium tackle boxes plus more anyway. All you need is a good jigsaw to cut the hole, it takes about an hour start to finish.
        2015 Hobie Outback
        2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

I've been thinking about doing it as well. There are some great Youtube videos on it. Looks pretty simple, I was going to use my dremel tool.
          Keith

2015 Sand Hobie Outback

2017 Orange Camo Vibe Sea Ghost 130

2015 Camo Ascend FS12T

Comment

Silasvirus, I though they did but it's the Pro Angler that came standard. DPS has an Outback that the pimped out and that's why I thought it came standard.
            2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

I've been thinking about doing mine. But I am having a hard time convincing myself to spend the money. I hardly use that hatch anyway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by brianisoutside View Post
                I've been thinking about doing mine. But I am having a hard time convincing myself to spend the money. I hardly use that hatch anyway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                You'll use it if you had it I think.
                2015 Hobie Outback
                2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Silasvirus, can you post a pic of your front rod holder setup with the Scotty mounts. I'm also thinking about getting the Hobie rod holders that go on in the front rod holder. But I also have the Scotty mounts. Trying to see what it looks like. That and your setup is really nice. You should show everyone your livewell setup. Pure Genius.
                  2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

I used rails up front to mount my rod holders with backing plates, but I'd recommend just using regular Scotty mounts since there is no good way to prevent them from rotating. The gear head adapters are the issue and there is no alternative, but they do save space and allow you to remove them easily. I've heard Ram mounts will rotate also, so just stick with the basic Scotty stuff.
                    2015 Hobie Outback
                    2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

This is 2012 outback.Well worth the money.I never like the round hatch from day one.Hobie should done this years ago.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by coop1486; 02-14-2017, 07:32 PM.
                      2012 hobie outback
                      2016 feelfree lure 11.5

Comment

Originally posted by silasvirus82 View Post

I used rails up front to mount my rod holders with backing plates, but I'd recommend just using regular Scotty mounts since there is no good way to prevent them from rotating. The gear head adapters are the issue and there is no alternative, but they do save space and allow you to remove them easily. I've heard Ram mounts will rotate also, so just stick with the basic Scotty stuff.
                        You are correct that the Scotty gear head track adapters do rotate. Since they tighten in a clockwise direction, the rotation on the right side of the kayak following a fish strike will tighten the base. However, if you use the gear head track adapter on the left side of the kayak, a fish strike will tend to rotate the holder in a counter-clockwise direction, which loosens the base. From your photos I cannot tell if you have the lateral space to mount a standard Scotty base onto the gear track using two track slugs (or directly to the plastic area where you now have the track). I have done that on two Native Slayer Propel kayaks. It is a much more stable attachment point -- the third photo shows my front rod holder with an extender (this generates even more rotational force due to the additional leverage).

006_3.jpg 008_3.jpg 007_3.jpg

Another alternative that I explored before thinking of using a standard Scotty base was to run a bungee cord from the front left rod holder to a mounting point in front of the rod holder. If the left side rod holder got a fish strike and began to rotate counter-clockwise, the bungee would stretch and provide more resistance to turning. While this did help somewhat, it was a bit messy to have another loose cord in the cockpit area.

005_3.jpg
                        John Veil
                        Annapolis
                        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
                          You are correct that the Scotty gear head track adapters do rotate. Since they tighten in a clockwise direction, the rotation on the right side of the kayak following a fish strike will tighten the base. However, if you use the gear head track adapter on the left side of the kayak, a fish strike will tend to rotate the holder in a counter-clockwise direction, which loosens the base. From your photos I cannot tell if you have the lateral space to mount a standard Scotty base onto the gear track using two track slugs (or directly to the plastic area where you now have the track). I have done that on two Native Slayer Propel kayaks. It is a much more stable attachment point -- the third photo shows my front rod holder with an extender (this generates even more rotational force due to the additional leverage).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20909[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]20910[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]20911[/ATTACH]

Another alternative that I explored before thinking of using a standard Scotty base was to run a bungee cord from the front left rod holder to a mounting point in front of the rod holder. If the left side rod holder got a fish strike and began to rotate counter-clockwise, the bungee would stretch and provide more resistance to turning. While this did help somewhat, it was a bit messy to have another loose cord in the cockpit area.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20912[/ATTACH]
                          Why not just pick up a couple of reverse (left hand threaded) nuts and bolts for your rod holders on the left side of the yak? You should be able to find these at an industrial fastener supplier or full-line hardware store.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I could be wrong, but I don't think left hand threaded bolts will thread into a right hand threaded receiver.
                            2015 Hobie Outback
                            2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Originally posted by silasvirus82 View Post
                              I could be wrong, but I don't think left hand threaded bolts will thread into a right hand threaded receiver.
                              Roger that. I thought you were just trying to secure the Scotty bracket to your rail.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X