SS perch jigs.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SS perch jigs.....

....can't buy 'em so have to make my own.
    Bought mold and hooks on ebay 18 months ago....just now getting around to first batch

14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
    2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Good for you.

Fun, isn't it?
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Yeah...i've made larger jigs for awhile now, but fed up with my small jigs rusting away. I had to really search to find a cheap mold for the size hooks i wanted to use

Comment

Looks good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by kevinfry View Post
          Yeah...i've made larger jigs for awhile now, but fed up with my small jigs rusting away. I had to really search to find a cheap mold for the size hooks i wanted to use
          I use several styles of "Do-It" molds. Each mold has multiple cavities with various hook sizes and weights. My hook sizes range from 1 to 4/0 depending on the style and weight of the jig I pour. Then comes painting and tying in the case of bucktails and jig spinners. I get a lot of enjoyment out of it. The melting process is a great way to recycle old lead sinkers and even old jigs with broken hooks.
          Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
            I use several styles of "Do-It" molds. Each mold has multiple cavities with various hook sizes and weights. My hook sizes range from 1 to 4/0 depending on the style and weight of the jig I pour. Then comes painting and tying in the case of bucktails and jig spinners. I get a lot of enjoyment out of it. The melting process is a great way to recycle old lead sinkers and even old jigs with broken hooks.
            Melting is always fun, but I made a big mistake a few weeks ago, Thought I would try melting down lead in a UPS battery.......not something I'd encourage. so much heat resistance material, so ingrained in the lead...was a toxic mess that resulted in no pour-able lead.

This little mold does not have all the options of the bigger "do it" molds, but it is super easy to use and so far works flawlessly.

KF

Comment

Originally posted by kevinfry View Post
              Melting is always fun, but I made a big mistake a few weeks ago, Thought I would try melting down lead in a UPS battery.......not something I'd encourage. so much heat resistance material, so ingrained in the lead...was a toxic mess that resulted in no pour-able lead.

This little mold does not have all the options of the bigger "do it" molds, but it is super easy to use and so far works flawlessly.

KF
              Another source of lead that evidently is not ideal for jig making is tire weights. I have never tried them because I've read that they are a harder form of lead than most jig molds require and they might not fill the cracks and crevasses of mold completely.

I've been fortunate to receive a lot of old fishing tackle lead donations from my buddies. I give them a few jigs in return and they keep me well supplied.

Another good source of lead is riprap on low tide and most fishing piers. It's amazing how much weight folks tie onto the ends of their lines and then lose their rigs in pilings or even under the deck of the pier.
              Mark
              Pasadena, MD

Comment

Dental office films. They are lead and the dentist has to pay for them to be destroyed. I know a lot of guys that shoot black powder and this is a great source of lead for them.
                2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

I mostly use lead sheeting I salvaged from a renovated Dr. Office.....My curiosity got the better of me with the battery

Comment

I've been pouring for more than 40 years.
                    As an old time shop teacher, I was able to obtain a good bit of "Type metal" a Lead/Tin/ Antimony alloy that melts clean and takes detail well, when the school system shut down the print shop. It is a bit harder than "soft lead" that sinker are made from.
                    Too much crap and impurities with most other sources of lead. Melting this creates very noxious fumes.
                    Type metal is very consistent in it's melting point.
                    Clean type metal or linotype metal is available thru eBay.

As always:
                    Melt lead in an area that has adequate / lots of ventilation.
                    Wear long sleeves.
                    Do not get any water near where you are pouring (molten lead hits water and creates little explosions of molten lead splatters).
                    Wear eye protection
                    Wear protective gloves
                    Don't get lead anywhere near where food is prepared and don't use utensils that have been exposed to lead in food preparation.

Comment

Yeah, "type metal" is also nice and shiny......Years ago I had a sinker supplier (I worked at a marine supply) who "mined" his led at a skeet/trap range (several in fact). It was also very shiny

Comment

Working...
                      X