Magothy Yellow Perch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magothy Yellow Perch

Launched out of Beechwood this morning for my second attempt to catch a yellow perch. The water was flat. After a slow start I was able to land 12, most of which I caught by casting a live minnow on a 1/32 jig head. Slow retrieve, pausing, and very soft jigging was the ticket. Two fish were caught on a two inch artifical minnow (cant remember what kind. It was a bass pro brand.)

My largest fish of the day came on a minnow and bobber setup. I tossed it in to soak while I jigged. Every few minutes I would look over and see the bobber... and then I didnt. I was excited to find a 12.5 incher on the other end. Good day.

There were a few other kayakers out there today. Two guys using lures who were managing to catch some. One other fisherman was also jigging live minnows and he was doing well.

Thanks to everyone who shared info on how to catch these guys. Much appreciated!

nice work! Honestly, I've had the most luck just letting minnow sit on the bottom. Once you find the school, its pretty much just cast, let it sink and fish on.
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Agreed. That seemed be the best bet.

Comment

How deep? Nice report thx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Nice! Beachwood seems like a really good launch if you know which spots to target. There are so many options (docks, submerged trees, etc) that it was a bit intimidating when I went there last week. I would go again but only if someone was familiar with the area/spots to target.

Comment

Working...
          X