Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hobie Turbo Fins

I first started with the standard fins . After about a dozen outings I tried the turbo fins and for me turbo fins are highly preferred. The difference in resistance is negligible once you get "out of the hole" but the speed and distance travelled is quite noticeable. It's a lot like switching to a higher gear on a bicycle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -Jimbo-

Berkley Powerpro - 100 yrd spool - 30#
    Berkley Powerpro - 100 yrd spool - 20#
    Fishbites - Saltwater version

According to Hobie there is about a 10% efficiency gain using the Turbos. I used my standard fins for about a year before buying the Turbos, should have bought them and the sailing rudder first day. They do have more resistance than the standard fins, but the result is more speed at a slower pace. Personally I believe they put less wear and tear on everything including my own body since I can achieve my desired speed at a slower pace. I struggled for one or two trips with the added resistance, but once my muscles adjusted it's been no issue. One last point, WHEN (not IF) you get caught in a storm, having that extra speed and power might be a life saver.
    2015 Hobie Outback
    2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Steve,

I have owned both a Revo and now an Outback. I’ve had Standard fins and Turbo fins on both hulls. In each case, the Turbo Fins were the hands-down winner.

In the case of the Outback, I had the opportunity to fish/troll/cruise with another buddy that had the same boat and conduct an informal experiment. We each had Outbacks, loaded with a similar amount of fishing gear, we are roughly the same weight, same physical fitness level, we were only a dozen feet apart and headed in the same direction so wind, current and other environmental factors were the same etc… the only difference was I still had the Standard fins on my Outback, he had the Turbos. Could I keep up with him? Yes, but I had to complete far more strokes to attain the same speed/distance as he. For example, a typical 10-count cadence for him on this day was: stroke, stroke,…pause,…drift, stroke, stroke,…pause,…drift, stroke, stroke. As for me, with my Standard fins my 10-count cadence was: stroke, stroke, stroke, stroke, stroke, stroke, stroke, stroke, stroke, and stroke.

Seeing this difference with my very eyes convinced me that over time, this larger number of movements (in this simple experiment's case a 40% difference) required by the Standard fins will take a toll on your body.

Unfortunately, I do not have any experience with any of the bicycle-style pedal kayaks on the market, but they seem to have a loyal following which leads me to believe they are a quality product. I hope to try one out at the next demo day.

*And yes, if you go with a Hobie, invest in a sailing rudder

Hope this helps.
    -manny

Hobie Outback
    Wilderness System 130T

There’s a story about an old bull and young bull standing on a hill overlooking the herd. I’ll clean this up.

The young bull suggests to the old bull that they should run down the hill so that they a can have their way with a few of the cows. The old bull responds, “Let’s walk down and “meet” all of them”.

The moral of the story is that speed isn’t everything.

I think that applies to kayak fishing too.
    Mark

Olive Hobie Revo 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12

Author: The Simple Joys of Kayak Fishing (Tips and Tales From an Old Guy in His Plastic Boat)
    Available on Amazon.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    There’s a story about an old bull and young bull standing on a hill overlooking the herd. I’ll clean this up.

The young bull suggests to the old bull that they should run down the hill so that they a can have their way with a few of the cows. The old bull responds, “Let’s walk down and “meet” all of them”.

The moral of the story is that speed isn’t everything.

I think that applies to kayak fishing too.
    While I agree with your point to a certain extent, I do think speed is very important kayak fishing. Speed is our #1 disadvantage in my opinion and a 10% efficiency gain plus the potential of greater speed makes a big difference on a long day. Not all of us are retired and have all the time in the world to get there
    2015 Hobie Outback
    2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Never having had a choice I like the turbo fins, I like the speed in which I cruz when my knees cooperate with my trip.
    Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
    Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Chasing breaking fish; extending your time on the water to get that last fish but still make it home in time to keep the better half happy; getting to the hot spot before the other schmucks without turbo fins get there - are a few that come to mind.
    Revo or Outback, had them both with and without turbo fins. Turbo fins are a no-brainer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    -Jimbo-

Berkley Powerpro - 100 yrd spool - 30#
    Berkley Powerpro - 100 yrd spool - 20#
    Fishbites - Saltwater version

I've used the ST fins and the turbo fins on a 13' and 16' Revo. The turbo fins are more effective on the 16' than the 13' Revo for me. I think the difference in cadence required to pedal is noticeable, as well as the cruising speed. I tend to get tired quicker when I am using the ST fins. However, as noted earlier the ST fins are shorter, so if you're fishing the shallows or somewhere with boulders that's worth thinking about.
    Jake

Thank guys for all your feedback.
    2017 Hobie Camo Outback
    2016 Vibe Sea Ghost

In regard to the added cost.... If you are buying new try and work the turbo fins/sailing rudder into the deal. I think I only paid way less than $100 for both, and let the dealer keep the ST fins and the original rudder. A perk to dealing with a local distributer. You may want to give Backyard a call and see if they are extending any boat show deals if you are ready to buy soon.