Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hobie Turbo Fins

Default Hobie Turbo Fins

So are the Hobie Turbo fins really worth the extra money. How much faster do you really go?? I'm looking to purchase a Hobie Outback and the turbo fin up-charge is around $100 bucks.
    2017 Hobie Camo Outback
    2016 Vibe Sea Ghost

I've heard they are more than worth the money, but I don't have a pedal kayak, so I can't directly comment.

I bought my Hobie used w/ turbo fins and have never put the standard fins on to compare. I have heard though that the turbo fins provide more speed at the cost of higher resistance per pedal stroke. So theoretically you should be able to go just as fast with standard fins if you pedal faster. I'm unsure how much faster you would have to pedal, but it would probably be more exhausting to maintain for trolling. Think about using a mountain bike vs a BMX for long distances.
    Mike

IMO it makes a big difference so Yes- I used the 2016 Outback square tipped standard fins for two fishing trips before driving the 50 miles to Backyard boats in Annopolis to buy the turbo fins and sailing rudder...I find that I am less fatigued after a day fishing with the turbo fins- an easy stair stepping cadence equals my preferred trolling speed- and if needed I can pick it up to a moderate pace to get in quickly at 4 knots...

And yes to the sailing rudder upgrade, too- trust me they make a big difference

Shame on Hobie for not making both standard equipment for these premium kayaks...
    Last edited by ronaultmtd; 02-07-2017 at 06:49 PM.
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Outback
    "Ugly Duckling" 2010 Olive Hobie Outback
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13

Thank's guys, I am torn on which yak I want to go with. The Hobie with its stair stepper style drive or a Wilderness Radar 135 with a pedal drive. They are both about the same in cost if I go with the upgraded turbo fins.
    2017 Hobie Camo Outback
    2016 Vibe Sea Ghost

I have bad knees (4 knee operations- 2 on each knee) and cannot ride a bycycle but the stair stepper does not bother the knees- so if you have knee issues...
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Outback
    "Ugly Duckling" 2010 Olive Hobie Outback
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13

If you are looking beyond Hobie (as you suggest above) don't forget the growing family of Native pedal-drive kayaks. One of their new models, Manta Ray 12 Propel, retails for less than $2000. With the cost difference between that and some of the competition, you can add electronics or other accessories. I have heard glowing reports of how nicely that hull moves through the water.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11 and Slayer Propel 10
    Member - Pro Staff team for Native Watercraft

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" - light tackle fishing techniques for kayaks and small boats

I have standard fins. I borrowed my neighbors and tried them out. Didn't like them since I was used to the resistance that the normal fins have. I wouldn't use them. I do recommend the sailing rudder

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have standard fins on a Revo and have never felt the need for Turbos. Note that the Revo is a sleeker boat than the Outback and likely moves with less effort.

I can cruise for extended periods at 3 mph without getting winded. It's as if I was walking along a sidewalk. Hardly any exertion. I've caught plenty of stripers tolling at that speed.

I can go 6 mph in short bursts -- certainly not for long. I huff and puff after that. But speed should not be not an issue if you are kayak fishing. If you need to get somewhere fast, you should probably get a motor boat.

A consideration against Turbos for me was the extra length of the Turbo Fins. I like to hug shorelines in shallow waters. I can feather the fins but I prefer to extend them fully when I pedal along slowly casting to structure.
    Mark

Olive Hobie Revo 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12

Author: The Simple Joys of Kayak Fishing (Tips and Tales From an Old Guy in His Plastic Boat)
    Available on Amazon.com

John, I looked at Manta Ray but I do not like the max weight of 325Lbs.
    2017 Hobie Camo Outback
    2016 Vibe Sea Ghost