Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any of you suffer from Tennis Elbow and still Kayak?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any of you suffer from Tennis Elbow and still Kayak?

So I have been fighting Tennis Elbow for the past two months, give or take. I went to the doctor and did the steroid thing and that didn't seem to help it. It did delay me in getting my kayak out and I finally just did it today.

Does anyone have tips on dealing with Tennis Elbow? I don't think that I will damage it any more by paddling. I didn't do a long paddle and I have rested it for quite some time before doing this. I am sick of this and the pain isn't that bad. It is irritating more than anything.

I want this to be healed before fishing season gets in full swing. I have big plans for this season coming up! This is just pre-season right now.

Sorry to hear of your condition. I hope it gets no worse or resolves.

A Hobie Mirage Drive or Native Propel might help. But then you might have to revert to paddling due to knee problems.

The good news is that there are plenty of fish to be caught in small protected waters requiring you to cover very little distance.

Tidal creeks and ponds are good kayak fishing alternatives for those who don't want to exert themselves to the max in a kayak but still find pullage.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Yep in my left arm. I usually use a brace but I also installed a trolling motor on my yak for long distances and trolling.

Comment

I've had tennis elbows a few times in the past when I was doing tree work on the side. Constantly carrying the 8lb climbing saw on one hand inflamed my tennis elbow. Each time I was able to cure it completely by resting in the winter time. It takes about 4-6 weeks to heal with absolute no lifting or using any muscles around the tennis elbow. It really sucks not having to do anything. So I would say paddling will not help with the healing.
        Donnie

2012 Malibu Steath 14
        2013 Cuda 12

Comment

We call it machinists elbow or meat wrappers elbow....and yes- it can be painful- As a young inside machinist I suffered from it for years- repetitive motion injuries require you to rest and stop doing the "repetitive motion" that caused the injury...funny, since I got my Hobie- it has never flared up again...
          "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
          2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
          "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
          Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

I get it from surf casting all the time. Really gets bad some seasons. Might it be from casting and not paddling? For mine, ice is the only thing that works.
            Jay

10' Green Slayer
            13’ Red Slayer

Comment

I get it sometimes too. Wrist pain as well. Braces while sleeping at night have helped with he wrist pain. I carry a brace for my elbow in my dry bag and have tried it a few times, but didn't notice much relief. I've never needed a steroid shot though so your pain might be more significant then I've ever experienced?

To help with my pain, I make sure I sleep with my arms in a natural position at night (with braces, if needed), avoid resting my elbows on hard objects for extended periods (like on an office desk or center console when driving), do stretches recommended for elbows and wrist, and avoid repetitious movements when possible.

I think much of my pain starts in the wrist and is the result of setting trap springs by hand all the time. I've since changed doing that and it's helped.

Good paddle form while on the water helps too. Long, smooth, consistent strokes while not gripping the paddle too firmly.

Hope the pain doesn't prevent you from fishing or worse.... drives you to the dark side!
              Brian

Comment

I fished yesterday with it. It is hard to one handed paddle to trim the kayak in the wind and I try to use just my left arm for that.

Odd, because you mentioned wrist pain. I fight carpel tunnel from time to time so I sleep with a brace on my right arm. Fly Fishing does inflame the carpel tunnel from time to time. I tried a Tommy Copper sleeve for my right arm and it didn't do a darn thing, worthless!

One funny thing is that I found out that having my seat in the high position helps with paddling. I am not sure why but it seems to help.

I may try a brace for my elbow. I didn't have a steroid shot, I had a Pregnasone pack for it. That didn't help either.

Dark side...I have a boat. It is a 23 foot sailboat. I tend to take a cruise every summer on it for 2 weeks in the Chesapeake Bay. It might be interesting to use it as a home base to fish areas around the Chesapeake Bay. I couldn't put the kayak on the deck and I don't think it would be good to tow it so I would have to use my 8' dingy and row around.

Comment

I posted this in another one of my threads. It was meant for here:
                  Here is a copy of a video of my boat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqDQ1VHNwVM&t=496s

It is pretty self sufficient. I was out for 12 days last year without going into a marina for the night. It is quite comfortable and I even have a cockpit shower.

My last boat was much bigger and it had hot and cold water pressure, shower, two burner stove with oven, and you could practically live aboard it comfortably. This one is a bit rougher but it is okay for a while.

Comment

By dark side I was just poking fun at pedal kayaks...

Nice sailboat though.
                    Brian

Comment

I also echo the surf-casting comment, after a full day in OC from the beach, I need some meds the next morning.
                      Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

During the fall top water action my shoulders, elbows and wrists ache from throwing top water poppers and fighting the big stripers in shallow water- I went with much lighter rods and reels so the fatigue factor was reduced- 2500 spinning reels with 12 and 10# braid on 7' medium and medium-light rods...the fish fighting factor almost cancels out the fatigue factor of using lighter tackle...takes longer to land a 24-35 inch fish, which is mostly the size we catch in the fall...spring time trophy season with the big girls I mainly use low profile conventional reels on 7' medium-heavy St. Croix Avid rods and 85% or more is trolling...
                        "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                        2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                        "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                        Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Any sustained repetitive actions are likely to result in soreness, especially among us old retired guys who have all the time in world. By the way, that time surplus is a myth as some of you younger folks will eventually discover. For many, family obligations will increase with age from multi-generational care demands and you'll find your time on the water is as precious as when you held full-time jobs.

I usually take an OTC anti-inflammatory like Advil before I venture out. I'm convinced that allows me to fish longer. And Ron's advice of using lighter tackle is also prudent. The difference in weights in what I carry is significant and I notice it immediately when I put down the spinning tackle (which is 2500 series and light) and pick up a fly rod.

As to the actual casting motion I may be fortunate because I rarely feel any discomfort in my casting arm or shoulder even after hours on the water of continuous casting. However, my retrieving hand is another matter. I wondered why that would be until it dawned on my that my retrieving hand is much more active during a day's fishing than my casting arm. The act of stripping fly line or cranking a conventional reel requires a lot of repetitive movement, much more than the act of casting.
                          Mark
                          Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                          Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                          Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I had it both elbows about five or six years ago. It takes a long time to really get rid of it, and very easy for it to come back if you don't watch how you use it. The orthopedic doc put me on naproxen and physical therapy initially. However, the real help to prevent re-injury was using a Velcro forearm strap on each arm whenever I did anything physical. I continued this for over two years until I could go without them. I was able to paddle fine with them, and they keep it from coming back. I also invested in a bent shaft Werner paddle that seemed to be more comfortable than a straight shaft paddle. I now pedal a Hobie, but still enjoy paddling when I don't want to cover a big distance or be hands free fishing.

Comment

Working...
                            X