Youtube Search

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Youtube Search

Are you guys actively using Yotube to check on things you want to buy, or interested in?
    Or even just logging in to check out fishing or rigging videos?

Reason I am asking is I am looking to grow my channel this year, and what better way than to engage with locals first.

Im asking for what you personally look for, because im sure others are looking for the same thing!
    This can give me ideas of things to help grow my channel.

I really enjoy videoing, editing and the entire process to youtube. Its become like a second hobby to me.

Let me know what are the main things you look to and help me to help you and possibly others!!

Thanks guys!
    Zach Moore
    Delaware Paddle Sports Fishing Team
    Fishal Custom Baits Pro Staff
    Bait Towel Pro Staff
    2017 Hobie Pro Angler 12
    YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSa...8WkC2WzHhAjVaQ

Kayak rigging ideas. Kayak fishing techniques.
    Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
    Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

From what I've heard, the best thing to do is make a lot of videos. Eventually you'll have titles that come up on searches and if people see you have a robust video library you'll start getting subscribers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I enjoy rigging and technique videos. Personally, I like the ones about construction of battery boxes, and I certainly need to learn how to LTJ effectively, and I've yet to find a good video that's relevant for our sort of waters/fish (ches bay/rockfish). You could make some of them.....am I being too subtle? I did like your review of the PDL, when the time comes, I'm going to have to demo like 4-5 different kayaks to narrow my choice yet. So far, it's the outback or revo, mostly because of the sail mount, though I might look for one pre 2017, I hear the reverse drive has issues shifting unless you're not moving, which defeats many of the purposes of having reverse.

Comment

John Skinner is a fisherman, author, and educator who uses the kayak as one of his tools. His YouTube channel is phenomenal. I'm sure people bought quantum reels and tsunami classic rods because of his vids. Same can be said for lures, line and rods. He now has a lamiglas rod named after him.

If you're looking for a role model I'd say it's him.

Other successful videographers are 1rod, EliasV, key west. Key west is actually doing vids on the questions you are asking. Have a look. Good luck!

Comment

EliasV always has some fantastic videos. I think the more you fish/more you video, the better your chances of pairing down to a fantastic 15 minute clip for youtube. I picked up 6 gopro's fall 2016, eager get put them to good use this April.
            Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

I acknowledge the popularity of fishing videos with many Snaggedline members and other anglers. I happen to have a different perspective about fishing videos. I don't know if it is my age or my impatience, but I don't want to watch 5 mins, or longer of a rod bending, a fisherman winding in, and a fish shaking in the air (then repeat several times over). I do not carry a video camera with me and have no interest in getting one.

Having staked out my extreme position, I will add that I do not object to others making videos if that is something they enjoy. I probably won't watch most of the videos, but I am not really your target audience anyway. In my posts here and elsewhere, I use photos to illustrate what I am saying. It takes me less time to get the photos ready to use and requires much less of the viewers' time to look at them.

I have a somewhat different opinion of instructional videos. For example if your video shows how to do something, like tying a type of knot or installing an accessory on your kayak, I may be interested. Or if you are describing a new product or kayak, I may be interested in watching, but only if the video is brief and concise. The only fishing related video I made is a lengthy (probably too long) instructional video on how to install a FF/GPS, transducer, and power supply on my kayak.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdT4koUEnik

So for those of you who enjoy the video world -- go for it. But I am probably not going to be one of your viewers.
              John Veil
              Annapolis
              Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Catching big fish, reviews on products, or emergency situations are what interest me the most.
                2015 Hobie Outback
                2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

I'm another old guy who prefers words over videos. I can find and review the main points of a presentation much faster by reading -- and for us older folks time may be of the essence!

I do believe it may be a generational issue. In fact, I would probably shock some folks here to admit that I once received a Go Pro for Christmas and I could not get to Best Buy fast enough to return it. I even get annoyed when I visit a news website and a video pops up instead of a written story. I usually click it off and look for a written story on the topic via a search engine.

That said, I see a role for instructional videos. Relative to fishing I believe some fly tying videos are excellent. For example there was a recent discussion on this forum about whip finishing a fly. That would be a very difficult explanation by words alone. Photos would help. But a video can immediately show how simple a process it is.
                  Mark
                  Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                  Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                  Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I think it is important to edit it down to get to the essence of excitement, fun and beauty of a good fish fight. Throw in an educational element along with strong environmental ethos and a great soundtrack and you'll have a winner. I think Kayak Kevin Whitley (kayakkevin.com) and Rob Choi (angling-addict.com) epitomize the craft.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

A picture is worth a thousand words. A well-put together video is worth even more. Dedicate some time into learning how to tell a good story, and then how to visualize that on the screen. How would you pitch/sell an idea if you had only 2-4 minutes air time. See how others edit their videos. Think discourse.
                      “As no man is born an artist, so no man is born an angler.” - Izaak Walton

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
                        I acknowledge the popularity of fishing videos with many Snaggedline members and other anglers. I happen to have a different perspective about fishing videos. I don't know if it is my age or my impatience, but I don't want to watch 5 mins, or longer of a rod bending, a fisherman winding in, and a fish shaking in the air (then repeat several times over). I do not carry a video camera with me and have no interest in getting one.

Having staked out my extreme position, I will add that I do not object to others making videos if that is something they enjoy. I probably won't watch most of the videos, but I am not really your target audience anyway. In my posts here and elsewhere, I use photos to illustrate what I am saying. It takes me less time to get the photos ready to use and requires much less of the viewers' time to look at them.

I have a somewhat different opinion of instructional videos. For example if your video shows how to do something, like tying a type of knot or installing an accessory on your kayak, I may be interested. Or if you are describing a new product or kayak, I may be interested in watching, but only if the video is brief and concise. The only fishing related video I made is a lengthy (probably too long) instructional video on how to install a FF/GPS, transducer, and power supply on my kayak.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdT4koUEnik

So for those of you who enjoy the video world -- go for it. But I am probably not going to be one of your viewers.
                        Must be our age- John- I enjoy fishing too much to be distracted by photographing it- many times I don't even take a picture of the fish on the stringer...too busy fishing...
                        "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                        2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                        "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                        Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

I love youtube and use it as my go to source for diy and product reviews. What turns me off is bad video quality, bad grammar as in using the word like a million times in a video, and videos that are not to the point. As a reference I watch a lot of tackle junky and flukemaster videos

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BassMoore View Post
                            Are you guys actively using Yotube to check on things you want to buy, or interested in?
                            Or even just logging in to check out fishing or rigging videos?

Reason I am asking is I am looking to grow my channel this year, and what better way than to engage with locals first.

Im asking for what you personally look for, because im sure others are looking for the same thing!
                            This can give me ideas of things to help grow my channel.

I really enjoy videoing, editing and the entire process to youtube. Its become like a second hobby to me.

Let me know what are the main things you look to and help me to help you and possibly others!!

Thanks guys!
                            I don't actually search you tube for videos on topics that interest me but quite often a google search will suggest a relevant video. I like instructional videos especially for DIY projects. I just saw a really good video that demonstrated the action of 10 different lures that proved very helpful in making a purchase decision.

I mainly capture video to show to my family or to review my own fishing experiences. If your videos are well done your audience will find you. Best of luck to you.
                            Gregory
                            ​Ain't Misbehavin'
                            2014 Pro Angler 12
                            '

Comment

I'll search for what I am interested in. I tend to ignore product review videos unless I am first interested in the product or deciding between two similar products. I also like pictures of everyone fishing excursions, but pictures of someone's fish gets somewhat repetitive after a while. A 20" striper from one guy doesn't look a whole lot different than the next guys. That's not to discourage pictures, but I enjoy reading about the adventure more then see By a picture of a fish. So with that said, I enjoy videos of catching a lot more than pictures (so long as they are not 20 mins long). A good video has build up and other elements besides simply fighting a fish (that's also boring if that is all your video contains). I've learned a ton of technique through watching others. Hook set, rigging, distance from shore, retrieve style, etc. are all there to absorb if you are looking for it.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
                              Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
                              2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Working...
                              X