Goldfish and Trout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goldfish and Trout

Okay guys need some held. My buddy and I are having a discussion about using goldfish for trout bait. He said you cannot and I said you can. I called DNR and asked them, their response was Ummmmmm......maybe. So what do you guys think?? Yay or Nay?? It does not say that you can't use them in the regs.
    2017 Hobie PA14

Like you I couldn't find an explicit prohibition against them in Maryland. They are illegal in many states, Pennsylvania will fine you $125 plus $20 or $30 per goldfish. Goldfish are invasive and even if they aren't illegal it would be good conservation practice to not use them.
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

I agree on the invasive issue. However if the reg's do not say no, then you can, right?? That is what the conversation was about. That and the Patriots just plain suck!!
      2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

The way I read the regulation, as long as your bait is "on the hook" it is legal to use a non-native fish as bait. Page 37 "Fish Importation"
        Just don't get caught dumping your bait bucket when you are done.

Of course, one has to wonder why you are using goldfish for trout bait, but that's a whole `nuther argument there.

Comment

I don't use goldfish. I use power bait, corn, floating worm. The argument was over the issue that IF the regs do not say you can't, then that means you can. So does anyone use goldfish and as Bignose asked, Why??
          2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

WV they sell goldfish at the bait shop. but I would also watch the importation side of it.
            2016 Hobie Mirage Outback Olive
            LOWRANCE Hook7

Comment

Back in the 1970's my family would visit some friends in Eastern North Carolina for long weekends. The folks lived near Lake Phelps and their family business was running a small general store, gas station, and tackle shop. The store was within a mile or two of a State Park and boat ramp at Lake Phelps, so they would sell live bait. The bait tanks were full of common comet gold fish.

Comment

There are places in Maryland where they have become feral, as I recall there is population of them in the Potomac.
                We had to have a small local pond poisoned by Howard Co. Rec and Parks to remove an incredible Goldfish overpopulation problem.
                During a Spring spawn, I photoed that the pond had a "ring" of fish 5 feet wide around the entire perimeter.
                The fish ran from 10-18 inches, a bit too big for the bass to devour. It used to be real nice bass pond and hasn't been squat since it got cleared out.
                A cautionary tale.

Comment

This sounds like a new pattern for the Fly tying vice...

eyedaddy

Comment

Working...
                  X