Winter Exercise Program

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter Exercise Program

Just a quick word to those thinking about getting in shape for the coming kayak season; particularly paddlers and old guys with creaky backs like yours truly. I've been getting to the local indoor pool and building up my freestyle lap count; up to 6 laps (12 turns) which take me about eight minutes. My goal is to make it to at least 10 laps (20 turns) and go from there.

Freestyle swimming uses most of the same muscles as paddling; and more importantly, strengthens core muscles needed for lower back support.

Come on Spring!

Good for you. That's a great conditioning plan.

I've actually been out paddling (not catching) three times this month on mild days.

I haven't pedaled for over two months, however.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I hear what you're saying, especially regarding creaky backs! I've managed to get out 4 times since the beginning of the year, even with a little luck catching. I live adjacent to the WB&A trail so I am always out there walking, running and/or cycling. If walking, I manage to do between 5-6 miles 4x per week, which I prefer over running (burned out on that) and cycling (strictly summer fair). I also try to do at least 100 push-ups (in sets of 20) and 100 crunches (2 sets of 50) every day.

Oh yeah, does drinking single malt scotch constitute exercising? Just checking...
      Jim McFalls
      MSG US Army Retired
      US Army Field Band Jazz Ambassadors Class of 1998

2018 Hobie Revo 13 - Sea Grass
      2015 Elie Coast 120XE Angler - Yellow/White
      2015 Pelican Unison 136t Tandem - Orange/White
      Instagram - @jmcfalls1960
      YouTube - Jimbo the Fishin' Musician

Comment

After more than a month of not fishing from my kayak, I did four long days in a row of paddling and frequent casting in Tampa Bay last week. Several of the days were windy, with lots of distance covered. My shoulders were definitely worn out by the end of the third day, and even more sore by the end of the fourth day. I will try to avoid month-long absences from the kayak seat in the future. Steve's suggestion of a winter exercise program is a good move. As a side note, other than one large speckled trout, the bite was disappointing.

P.S. Jim - drinking Scotch is not exercise, but could be considered a reward for the heavy workout program you are doing.
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

As John stated, core strength is of paramount importance. Planks, crunches, and proper stretching, can go a long way. My back problems are most likely due to a neglected core, so I've started incorporating a core workout of 10-20 mins at the end of each of my 4-5 workouts per week.

Comment

You guys are making me tired, I need a nap.

Comment

Thanks for the responses. Last season I could do about 3.5 hrs. straight (without beaching the kayak, taking a ten minute break and stretching) before I had to stop to attend to my lower back. I am hoping this season won't be as much of an issue and I can stay out as long as I want. Core strength is the key, and freestyle laps help a lot.
              Last edited by Fishinfool; 01-31-2017, 08:57 AM.

Comment

I am lazy...so I just continue to take the kayak out during the winter- I find as long as I fish twice a month my muscle tone and muscle memory are OK...
                "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
                  I am lazy...so I just continue to take the kayak out during the winter- I find as long as I fish twice a month my muscle tone and muscle memory are OK...
                  I hear you, Ron. I hate to exercise. Always have. I walk a lot. Take the stairs. Do yard work in season and generally stay active. The swimming idea resonates with me. I think I could like that. But sit-ups, treadmills, weights, and other things that would make me sweat in place are completely unappealing. If I want pain I can go into the garage and hit my thumb with a hammer.

My expectation is that the first pull of a striper this spring will create enough adrenaline to keep my Mirage Drive pedals moving. It has worked that way in past springs.
                  Mark
                  Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                  Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                  Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

The hardest part about swimming laps is just overcoming the inertia of getting to he pool and doing it. The health (physical and mental) benefits far outweigh the investment in time, minimal cost, and any boredom factor in doing laps.

Like the Nike slogan says "JUST DO IT!"

Comment

Working...
                    X