Thread: Snakehead Fly

Default Snakehead Fly

I made two prototype flies. The idea of the fly is to be like a Moss Boss where it is a weedless lure that can go on top of the pads and vegetation. Hopefully it will irk a snakehead enough to make it strike.

Here is a picture. Think it may work?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yes. I think it will work.

I believe the key will be keeping it weedless so that you can drop it into their strike zone and also so you can lift your line in the heavy vegetation and shoot it back without false casting.

I have caught only one snakehead in my life and that was on conventional tackle with a weedless frog. I've read that they are wary of what goes on in the air immediately above them. A well known fly angler in the area says they are difficult to hook on the fly because of their preferred habitat deep in the weeds and their keen awareness of the fly line moving above them which inhibits their strike.

Good luck.
    Mark

Olive Hobie Revo 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12

Author: The Simple Joys of Kayak Fishing (Tips and Tales From an Old Guy in His Plastic Boat)
    Available on Amazon.com

It would be pretty neat to catch a snakehead on a fly.

The two I caught on the fly were during the early season and they were caught in streamers. They get into the back of the Occoquan and you can site fish them. They seem to be in spawning mode and not really want to eat. You have to trigger a strike by placing the fly right by their mouth and they bite out of reaction.

The snakehead do seem to weed up in June and I have had a few try to strike a popper but they missed. I tend to catch a lot of largemouth when I was trying to catch them by weeds.

I wanted to create a fly that will dance across the pads without snagging them. Getting a snakehead out of the weed mats after they hit the fly may be hard though.

Here is a picture of one of the Snakehead that I caught on my Flyrod. Snakehead 2.jpgSnakehead 05-29-13.jpg