Looking for a better cart???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a better cart???

Everyone tries to make their own cart, or buy one and not everyone is always happy with that they get or make. It gets frustrating

But once you find the cart that works best, it makes fishing so much easier.

Check out why the Ctug by Railblaza makes my life EASIER when transporting my yak to and from the water.

This thing really shaves off time loading and unloading and saves a ton of weight and space

Zach Moore
    Delaware Paddle Sports Fishing Team
    Fishal Custom Baits Pro Staff
    Bait Towel Pro Staff
    2017 Hobie Pro Angler 12
    YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSa...8WkC2WzHhAjVaQ

I use a C-Tug too. I did not like the strap that comes with the cart -- it has a snap buckle like a seat belt and does not tighten well. There were occasions when the strap loosened and the kayak slid off. I removed that strap and added a single cam-lock strap that tightens snugly and quickly.

I also added two pieces of PVC pipe to help center the kayak on the cart and keep it from sliding sideways.

strap 1.jpg strap 2.jpg strap 3.jpg strap 4.jpg
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Yeah Delaware paddle sports gave me a cam lock . Told me upfront the straps that come with it are junk . Works like a charm now . PVC is a good idea to
      Zach Moore
      Bait Towel Pro Staff
      2017 Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

Originally posted by BassMoore View Post
        Yeah Delaware paddle sports gave me a cam lock . Told me upfront the straps that come with it are junk . Works like a charm now . PVC is a good idea to
        Pretty sure it comes with a cam lock now. Also if you have the old strap there are YouTube videos that show how to properly attach the connector to achieve a tight connection.

2015 Viking Profish Reload

Comment

J.A Veil, with your Propel 10 is that a quick process to load and unload? Was thinking about getting one for my Propel 10 so I can rig up at the truck then just roll down the ramp and go, and also to not leave my gear unattended. Can you easily stow the cart in your Yak? Was thinking I can either putting in the front hatch or attaching it to my crate. Thanks for your help

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
          I use a C-Tug too. I did not like the strap that comes with the cart -- it has a snap buckle like a seat belt and does not tighten well. There were occasions when the strap loosened and the kayak slid off. I removed that strap and added a single cam-lock strap that tightens snugly and quickly.

I also added two pieces of PVC pipe to help center the kayak on the cart and keep it from sliding sideways.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20831[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]20832[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]20833[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]20834[/ATTACH]
          Mike

2015 Hidden Oak Slayer Propel 10

Comment

Have been using ctug for a while now. The strap that came with it was junk. I use some thule or yakima lashing straps. The set designed to strap kayak to vehicle bumper from roof rack works perfect for me. The standard wheels are also worthless on sand. Got the sandtrakz right when they were first released and love them. I don't even use standard wheels anymore, sandtrakz work fine for every situation and have proven to be more durable than I expected.

Comment

smh, I have been using the hobie cart, came with my yak, & it's a pita to lift it high enough to get the uprights into the scupper holes. I've rolled the PA on the side & lifted and nothing is really easy with the hobie cart. This looks so much easier.
              Red 2015 Hobie Outback
              Olive 2015 PA 14

Comment

Originally posted by dasher View Post
                smh, I have been using the hobie cart, came with my yak, & it's a pita to lift it high enough to get the uprights into the scupper holes. I've rolled the PA on the side & lifted and nothing is really easy with the hobie cart. This looks so much easier.
                The Boondox is really nice on the Hobies as well.

But this is a much more affordable option
                Zach Moore
                Bait Towel Pro Staff
                2017 Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

If anyone prefers a scupper style cart, I really like the Sea to Summit kayak cart.
                  http://www.seatosummit.com.au/produc...t-on-top-cart/

Comment

Originally posted by mi327 View Post
                    J.A Veil, with your Propel 10 is that a quick process to load and unload? Was thinking about getting one for my Propel 10 so I can rig up at the truck then just roll down the ramp and go, and also to not leave my gear unattended. Can you easily stow the cart in your Yak? Was thinking I can either putting in the front hatch or attaching it to my crate. Thanks for your help
                    It is not difficult to lift one end of my Slayer Propel 10 onto the cart and strap it in. With a little practice you will learn where the best attachment area is to balance the weight. When using the Slayer Propel 10, I do not keep the cart with me -- it goes back into the van while I am on the water. To lighten the weight, I first roll the kayak and most of the gear (other than the battery and Propel drive) to the launch point, then walk back to the van. I put the cart away and pick up the Propel and battery then return to the kayak and complete the launch.

As shown in Bass Moore's video, the C-Tug breaks down and reassembles in a short amount of time if you feel the need to keep it with you. It should fit in the front compartment of the Slayer Propel 10.
                    John Veil
                    Annapolis
                    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Sorry Zach ......... C-Tug is ok but the straps slip on mine. I have the C-tug, hobie scupper, 2 types with balloon tires and this one:

http://paddlelogic.com/trailtreker-kayak-carts.html

This one is the best I've found.
                      It's very quick and easy to put on especially in the water and easy to store. I'm going to try using 2 of them so I can pull it like a wagon. I like this one the best.

Comment

I've been using a C-tug this past season. The one I bought came with a Cam-buckle so it for me it tightens really well. I bought both wheels the normal and the sandwheelz, which isn't really that great in soft sand. There is a conversion that is much better. I find it's really easy to pull a fully loaded yak on if balanced right, The best part is I can roll it into the water pull it out from under my yak, either break it down and put it in my front hatch, secure it with my bungies on the back (not as advisable as I've gotten hooks snagged on it casting) or take it back to my car. When I'm done and land I slide it back under my yak cinch it and pull my yak out of the water really easily (not so much in soft sand). It's my main cart. BTW I bought some PB Blaster Dry Teflon spray to stop that infernal wheel squeak. The only problem I ran into with mine a couple times is when I've hit a couple of depressions at the launch site (once in the launch crack at Janes Island) that were just enough for the wheels to get caught in and had the carts pads flip downward under the yak. Both times due to the weight of my yak I had to unload it fix it back under again and reload my yak. Now I avoid thoseThis is the sand conversion http://www.theplastichull.net/tag/c-tug-conversion

I also picked up one of the Cabela's Seattle Sport made ATC cart, mainly for when I am camping and want to roll my yak over rough ground to a launching area. Coop has one he used at Janes Island and it worked great for that. The newer Seattle sports ones have gone from what was complained about problematic metal spoke wheels to a solid rubber wheel with a type of plastic mag style spoke now. http://www.cabelas.com/product/CABEL...ts%26CQ_st%3Db

[/URL]
                        Originally posted by Memory Maker View Post
                        Sorry Zach ......... C-Tug is ok but the straps slip on mine. I have the C-tug, hobie scupper, 2 types with balloon tires and this one:

http://paddlelogic.com/trailtreker-kayak-carts.html

This one is the best I've found.
                        It's very quick and easy to put on especially in the water and easy to store. I'm going to try using 2 of them so I can pull it like a wagon. I like this one the best.
                        Only thing I don't like about this style is it's at the rear of the yak which means the load weight shifts to the front making it so one is carrying the brunt of the weight. That's tough for any type of distance. The cart type one can balance the yaks weight making it easier to pull.
                        Last edited by Oldbayrunner; 01-30-2017, 11:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Oldbayrunner View Post
                          ...Only thing I don't like about this style is it's at the rear of the yak which means the load weight shifts to the front making it so one is carrying the brunt of the weight. That's tough for any type of distance. The cart type one can balance the yaks weight making it easier to pull.
                          I have a paddlogic cart and I made this same comment on Snaggedline several weeks ago in another discussion thread on carts. The good news for me is that I use the cart on my Ultimate 12 which is a very light kayak and also I travel light when fishing in it. I don't have to pull much weight in it.

The cart from Cabela's is identical to one I used for my Old Town canoe 30 years ago. It's a tried and proven design and it worked well for my very heavy canoe. I almost got one for my Ultimate but instead went with the paddlelogic which has served me well. Additionally, the paddlelogic is a breeze to mount to my kayak on land or on the water.

The personal utility of a cart depends mostly on where you will use it the most, I believe. My longest cart trek might be Beachwood, and my hardest might the sand at Jonas Green. Even so, I've never been tempted to get wheels specially designed for sand because the distance through the sand at Jonas is not that far.

Like everything else in kayaking, different carts have different attributes. Match those attributes to your needs as best you can when choosing a cart. You likely will not find a perfect cart.
                          Mark
                          Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                          Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                          Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Oldbayrunner View Post
                            I've been using a C-tug this past season. The one I bought came with a Cam-buckle so it for me it tightens really well. I bought both wheels the normal and the sandwheelz, which isn't really that great in soft sand. There is a conversion that is much better. I find it's really easy to pull a fully loaded yak on if balanced right, The best part is I can roll it into the water pull it out from under my yak, either break it down and put it in my front hatch, secure it with my bungies on the back (not as advisable as I've gotten hooks snagged on it casting) or take it back to my car. When I'm done and land I slide it back under my yak cinch it and pull my yak out of the water really easily (not so much in soft sand). It's my main cart. BTW I bought some PB Blaster Dry Teflon spray to stop that infernal wheel squeak. The only problem I ran into with mine a couple times is when I've hit a couple of depressions at the launch site (once in the launch crack at Janes Island) that were just enough for the wheels to get caught in and had the carts pads flip downward under the yak. Both times due to the weight of my yak I had to unload it fix it back under again and reload my yak. Now I avoid thoseThis is the sand conversion http://www.theplastichull.net/tag/c-tug-conversion

I also picked up one of the Cabela's Seattle Sport made ATC cart, mainly for when I am camping and want to roll my yak over rough ground to a launching area. Coop has one he used at Janes Island and it worked great for that. The newer Seattle sports ones have gone from what was complained about problematic metal spoke wheels to a solid rubber wheel with a type of plastic mag style spoke now. http://www.cabelas.com/product/CABEL...ts%26CQ_st%3Db

[/URL]

Only thing I don't like about this style is it's at the rear of the yak which means the load weight shifts to the front making it so one is carrying the brunt of the weight. That's tough for any type of distance. The cart type one can balance the yaks weight making it easier to pull.
                            I like the look of that seattle atc cart. I have been using a heavy duty homemade scupper cart for my X Factor and it has worked well for 5 years but i broke it this weekend duck hunting. I want to get away from scupper mount do to damage at scupper holes and was looking at the c tug but I dont think its wide enough to take a heavy load off the beaten path and its plastic which I have reservations about. I need a cart that can handle the the extra weight I have when hunting. I like the ctug because it breaks down for storage like my original design scupper cart. has anyone abused a c tug and will it hold up
                            D Hawk
                            Green Malibu X-Factor stolen dream
                            Sand Malibu X-Factor The replacement

Comment

Originally posted by dhawk View Post
                              I like the look of that seattle atc cart. I have been using a heavy duty homemade scupper cart for my X Factor and it has worked well for 5 years but i broke it this weekend duck hunting. I want to get away from scupper mount do to damage at scupper holes and was looking at the c tug but I dont think its wide enough to take a heavy load off the beaten path and its plastic which I have reservations about. I need a cart that can handle the the extra weight I have when hunting. I like the ctug because it breaks down for storage like my original design scupper cart. has anyone abused a c tug and will it hold up
                              It is rated for 300 lbs and i believe thats the most of any cart out there at the moment. I may be wrong tho. I will fact check that.
                              Zach Moore
                              Bait Towel Pro Staff
                              2017 Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

Working...
                              X