Shad Potomac Fletcher's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shad Potomac Fletcher's?

Sorry for the word association type title.
    I have always fished the shad run from the bank or in a row boat. Was thinking of using my revo, but with its weird currents, eddys and boulders I'm not sure if a pedal is appropriate for the area around Fletchers.
    Anybody have experience around there. ( I know I'm a few months off)
    Jay

10' Green Slayer
    13’ Red Slayer

My buddy uses a hobie out there and he does fine. It's really not near as bad as some people make it out to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Zack
    Camo 2014 OK Trident Ultra 4.7
    Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T
    "WV RiverRat" on Youtube.

Comment

Originally posted by sega View Post
      It's really not near as bad as some people make it out to be.
      Yes it is, especially if trying to anchor. It's very doable in a yak but err on the side of caution. Check gauge as well....anything over 4.5-5 is asking for trouble.

Comment

Agree to disagree lol. I think it's a fantastic spot for a beginner. Obviously don't anchor in deep current on a light boat such as a kayak. There's a few submerged boulders shallow enough during low tide to bump with the mirage drive immediately upriver from the boat house, but once you paddle about 25 yards up it's deep enough to where you're not gonna tag anything. The boathouse rents out kayaks to people with 0 paddling experience all the time and all these people come back unscathed.

The Potomac is actually very narrow at Fletchers too so god forbid something did happen to you while you're out, you're close to shore. If you're uncomfortable going your first time I'll head out with you.
        Zack
        Camo 2014 OK Trident Ultra 4.7
        Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T
        "WV RiverRat" on Youtube.

Comment

I took my Revo up there last year. First time with a mirage drive in the river. Most of the area around the boathouse is fine, but going way up to the bridge you'll have to be careful. I bent a fin on an unexpected submerged rock. I was able to fix the issue and just used my paddle for the shallow rock hopping. It's a great area to paddle and getting a kayak into moderately moving water is always a lot of fun. The Revo is a little hard to turn with the sharp bow it has, but its entirely manageable.
          -Jon
          Revo 13

Comment

I've taken my 16' canoe there a couple of times. I like going above Fletchers but at higher flows it's a bit of a struggle for me, lower/slower is much easier. When I see a good seam to fish above fletchers I like to nose up on streamside boulders then anchor-up. (Just pay heed to the bank fishermen). Just keep in mind the tunnel under the canal has a clearance of 84" in the center (pictured below).

Troll Tunnel.jpg
            Last edited by HJS; 01-31-2017, 05:35 PM. Reason: more info
            Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

Where is Fletcher's? I have a sit in that I like using over on the Patuxent but would probably enjoy it for smallmouth. A buddy has taken me wading near Brunswick, where is Fletcher's in relation to that area?

Comment

Fletchers is located off of Canal Road just inside of Washington DC where the Potomac hits tidal waters. A Washington DC fishing licence is required. For this country boy Canal Road has the worst rush hour traffic ever. Fishing there can be very good is the spring for a number of different sport fish but the intensive nightmare drive there almost ruins the whole fishing trip.

Check out their website:
                http://www.fletcherscove.com/

I suggest going there on a quiet Sunday morning before the spring fishing season starts just to check how to get there.
                Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

Originally posted by HJS View Post
                  For this country boy Canal Road has the worst rush hour traffic ever. Fishing there can be very good is the spring for a number of different sport fish but the intensive nightmare drive there almost ruins the whole fishing trip.

Check out their website:
                  http://www.fletcherscove.com/

I suggest going there on a quiet Sunday morning before the spring fishing season starts just to check how to get there.
                  Ditto that, the traffic sucks. Plus, if you are coming from the Maryland side, you can't swing the sharp right turn into the entrance, there isn't enough room, you have to overshoot the entrance, and back down, hoping the horde of commuters piling up behind you allows you to do that (try after 10:00 a.m. on weekdays).
                  At least they have made the exit somewhat less terrifying, as there is now a stop light where the ramp onto Canal Road is. (When it works).

BTW, wading above the boathouse is very limited, as in many places there is a sheer drop off from the rock ledges. But most there fish from the rocks.
                  If you fish from a kayak there, please give the shore fishermen , who are limited, room to fish.

Comment

I thought the Potomac River belongs to MD, so why would you need a D.C. Fishing license?? I mean VA and WV can fish the Potomac with their state license.
                    2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

Inside of the D.C. boundaries, the river is not Maryland controlled, and there is no reciprocity with your MD or VA license.
                      It is what it is.

Comment

You need a DC license because Fletchers is in DC. Maryland has nothing to do with it.

I've been a few times from shore and to bypass the terrible driving situation, I opt to fish up by Chain Bridge. Park at one of the C and O Canal parking spots and hike/walk over to the river. Much easier exit back up to the Beltway too, but alas, no kayaking when I do that.

Comment

Got it, thanks guys I would have made a big oops.
                          2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

Originally posted by brianisoutside View Post
                            Where is Fletcher's? I have a sit in that I like using over on the Patuxent but would probably enjoy it for smallmouth. A buddy has taken me wading near Brunswick, where is Fletcher's in relation to that area?

If you're interested in small mouth you might find the Maryland portion of the river has better opportunities with out the Fletchers/DC license hassle. Lock 10 (pain in the butt carry to the river) is very productive but shallow and rocky - best for a paddle kayak or canoe). Has the added bonus of looking at traffic stuck on the American Legion Bridge, but get there very early for parking. Pennifield has a launch into a creek that will take you out into the main stem of the Potomac where you can paddle upstream to the bottom of the Seneca Breaks. Or you can do like I do and paddle up the C&O Canal and take out at the breaks and float back down to the creek. I prefer the flow to be below 3.8 feet at Little Falls for the best fishing. Above that and you are fighting water more than fish. When pushed I'll go out up to about 4.2 feet but above that the river starts to show her teeth.
                            Mike
                            Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Working...
                            X