Darn Rain!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Darn Rain!

How much do you let rain change your fishing plans?

Where I fish on the Potomac and Occoquan Rivers rain really effects things. The river gets high and muddy and makes fishing tough.

With salt water it seems that rain doesn't change things as much.

I don't mind fishing in the rain but I don't like fishing in high water that is stained.

Originally posted by HeaveToo View Post
    How much do you let rain change your fishing plans?

Where I fish on the Potomac and Occoquan Rivers rain really effects things. The river gets high and muddy and makes fishing tough.

With salt water it seems that rain doesn't change things as much.

I don't mind fishing in the rain but I don't like fishing in high water that is stained.
    I think it depends on what you're fishing for. Some fish (catfish come to mind) are always eating. I've caught some of my best catfish in the rain.
    I need a good paddling

Motorized 2014 Hobie Pro Angler 12
    Garmin Echomap 93sv
    RIP, favorite St. Croix Rod

Comment

Good point. I tend to fly fish a lot so the rain hampers that.

Comment

I don't mind fishing in the rain as long as it's not torrential. One of my best tidal trolling outings last spring was in the rain. I wondered at the time if the raindrops on the water activated the fish.

But downpours that churn the water and increase muddy runoff are usually bad even in tidal waters. Rains like that can ruin fishing for days until the water clears.

On the other hand a gentle rain can stimulate feeding in creeks and ponds by washing terrestrials into the water. It's usually a good time to fish immediately after such a rain.
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

It just means I have to pack my red hat!
          A week ago I was fishing in the snow and this past week, in the rain. The fish are already wet :-)

Here's a couple of the nicer ones from Sunday:
          https://www.facebook.com/chesapeake....type=3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/chesapeake....type=3&theater

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
          Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
          Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
          Kokatat Pro Staff
          Torqeedo Pro Staff
          Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
          Alan

Comment

If you don't fish in the rain in the Pacific Northwest, you don't fish
            "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
            2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
            "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
            Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
              On the other hand a gentle rain can stimulate feeding in creeks and ponds by washing terrestrials into the water. It's usually a good time to fish immediately after such a rain.
              I do this all the time with some of the smaller ponds that are close to where I live.

Got this guy this past Sunday after one of the heavier bursts had just passed. Hit my jig maybe 3' off the edge the bank.
              Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
              Lime Slayer 10

Comment

Points well made. I guess that I didn't ask the question right. Fishing in the rain isn't a big deal.

How do you handle stained water and/or rising water? From my experience on rivers it isn't worth fishing because it really messes things up. I have caught a few fish but it takes a while to get a bite or figure out the pattern. It is very frustrating.

One of the strategies that I am wondering is changing gears. If I plan to fish and it rain a lot I may switch locations and fish salt water instead of hitting the rivers near me. Does anyone else employ this strategy?

Comment

Heavy rain kills me. I can't concentrate enough on what I'm doing. In ponds a light rain makes for a good day in warm weather. I like top water in light rain. I don't think the bass can see the lure great with all the surface disturbance and react before the meal can get away. They miss a lot of time though so wait till they get a hold of it.

Comment

In rivers it can be dangerous if there's threat of rising waters. Going elsewhere, like the bay, a pond, or to see a movie is a good call.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
                    Mike
                    Feelfree Lure 11.5
                    Ocean Kayak Zest Two EXP

Comment

Ah, the runoff. Yeah, that's a bit of a problem. That'll kill the bite in a hurry. There are places that do not get muddy, or collect as much run off as others. Keep an eye out for those locations. That's the best you can really do, unless you want to fish bait.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                      Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                      Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                      Kokatat Pro Staff
                      Torqeedo Pro Staff
                      Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
                      Alan

Comment

Working...
                      X