Kayak car-topping advice for small cars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by yakscientist View Post
    Thanks for the advice everyone! I think I will just try some foam blocks on the bars themselves for now, and strap the kayak directly to the bars/blocks. And then I will go from there if that doesn't appear to be too stable.
    I did that for a few years with no problems. Never even needed front or back tie downs. Pool noodles are a better option imho. Blocks need to be lined up with the gunnels whereas with noodles, just flop the yak on top and cinch down.
    -Jimbo-

Berkley Powerpro - 100 yrd spool - 30#
    Berkley Powerpro - 100 yrd spool - 20#
    Fishbites - Saltwater version

Comment

I use Thule J-Racks on my 2007 Corolla around here and for shorter trips, but when I go to NC, I just flip it upside down on the crossbars. MY kayak is 12' and weighs 60 lb. so it isn't so bad to heave up to the roof. I do want to get some cradles though, but my kayak might not fit like that now since I now have a Rhino Rack fishing rod rack up there too. I have a Thule Hullavator for my RAV4 that my wife and I use when we take out our tandem out. THAT is the bomb but has a weight limit of only 75 lb. - perfect for our tandem.

Speaking of cradles... is anyone looking to unload some that would fit a Thule Aerobar?
      Jim McFalls
      MSG US Army Retired
      US Army Field Band Jazz Ambassadors Class of 1998

2018 Hobie Revo 13 - Sea Grass
      2015 Elie Coast 120XE Angler - Yellow/White
      2015 Pelican Unison 136t Tandem - Orange/White
      Instagram - @jmcfalls1960
      YouTube - Jimbo the Fishin' Musician

Comment

Working...
      X