Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Bullet Head Darters

Here are my first attempts.
    I need larger hooks and longer fur. These are on size 2 bass popper hooks. They are about 2.5 inches long.

Good start, Tom.

The darter suspends lifelike and pulsating in the water column. I've seen pickerels come from nowhere to snatch it. (Not as often as I would like this winter, unfortunately!)

Please come to Joe Bruce's demonstration of tying the darter at the Free State Fly Fishers clubhouse on 11 February.

http://www.snaggedline.com/showthrea...er-11-February

You will learn how to tie several variations of the fly, including weedless and articulated versions.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Thanks Mark. I'll be there if I'm free. I hope the darter will work on large and smallmouth bass on the Potomac and in Rocky Gorge. I'm looking for the fly fishing equivalent of a 4 inch curly tail grub.

Comment

Tom,

I hope you can make it.

Joe will tell you the many species he has caught on it both in fresh and saltwater.

I have never fished the darter specifically for SM but I'm certain they'll hit it.
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Comment

I agree Mark. If the darter suspends a foot deep, smallmouth will eat it up. It seems like a sure thing, especially July-October, when the water clears and becomes low.

Comment

I like it! I just picked up some fly tying "stuff" today too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DanMarino View Post
              Thanks Mark. I'll be there if I'm free. I hope the darter will work on large and smallmouth bass on the Potomac and in Rocky Gorge. I'm looking for the fly fishing equivalent of a 4 inch curly tail grub.
              A good sized Wooly Bugger with dumbbell eyes or a wool headed sculpin about size 4 will do what you want.
              Possibly a good sized Rabbit hair strip Matuka minnow will work as well. The Matuka is a relatively easy tie.
              Should be able to find tying instructions on YouTube.
              You may have to use these with a sink tip line to get them down in current, or run a few split shot on your leader (I hated ducking every time I cast with the lead slinging back there).

Comment

A woolly bugger will catch darned near anything that swims.

The same can be said of a bucktail.

But that doesn't stop us from using plugs, spinner baits, soft plastics and a host of other lure types.

Variety is the spice of life, no more so than in fishing and especially in fly tying.
                Mark
                Pasadena, MD

Comment

Here's the latest batch.

Comment

Very nice!
                    Your technique is definitely improving.
                    I've seen that color combo somewhere before.

Comment

Working...
                    X