Perching in the Creeks - 1/21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Perching in the Creeks - 1/21

I finally had my first chance to get out this year today. Initially, I wasn't sure where and what to fish for? Head west to some of the rivers and try for panfish and yellow perch? Maybe soak bait for catfish? Or stay local and check out the backbay for some holdover stripers? I kinda wanted to do some exploring and try something new, so I instead opted to launch into the headwaters of one of the tributary creeks to the backbays of Ocean City/Assateague.

I've never really bothered with the creeks in the area all that much - just too many other options in the area most other times of the year. But an article in the last CCA magazine about winter trout in NC backbay headwaters got me wondering if it was possible here... so I said what the heck and went looking. I brought some small stuff for trout and some even smaller stuff for panfish since I was going to be way up the creek and not knowing what to expect. The water was fairly shallow and tide was about half out I'd guess. Trout didn't look promising in the area. I cruised down the creek to a little deeper spot with structure and worked it for a good while. Tried small and smaller lures with minimal results; eventually picking up a fat little 18" striper on a 3/8 rooster tail after working the area for an hour.

I decided to start working my way back to the launch. Along the way, I pulled up two crab pots people had abandon. Both had small panfish and largemouth (small enough to enter and exit the pot on their own) in it. Seeing that I started casting a bass assassin tiny shad with a spinner on it. I got bumped twice, but no hookup. I took the spinner off it and just used the tiny shad. Bingo. Found some pretty white perch in shallow water. Caught 6 of them all 11" - 12" ish, one smaller 6" male perch, and had a really good thump, and brief hookup, with what felt like a much better perch then all the rest, but lost it. Rats .

No trout, but I was pleasantly surprised to find some good perch in the coastal bay area. I rarely fish for perch but they provided some nice little pullage on a mild, foogy winter day. Took 3 of them home for dinner.

Brian

Nice! Last pic looks delish!
    -Mustafa
    ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
    2016 Hobie Outback
    2012 Hobie Revolution 13
    "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Originally posted by Slobber Bob View Post
      I finally had my first chance to get out this year today. Initially, I wasn't sure where and what to fish for? Head west to some of the rivers and try for panfish and yellow perch? Maybe soak bait for catfish? Or stay local and check out the backbay for some holdover stripers? I kinda wanted to do some exploring and try something new, so I instead opted to launch into the headwaters of one of the tributary creeks to the backbays of Ocean City/Assateague.

I've never really bothered with the creeks in the area all that much - just too many other options in the area most other times of the year. But an article in the last CCA magazine about winter trout in NC backbay headwaters got me wondering if it was possible here... so I said what the heck and went looking. I brought some small stuff for trout and some even smaller stuff for panfish since I was going to be way up the creek and not knowing what to expect. The water was fairly shallow and tide was about half out I'd guess. Trout didn't look promising in the area. I cruised down the creek to a little deeper spot with structure and worked it for a good while. Tried small and smaller lures with minimal results; eventually picking up a fat little 18" striper on a 3/8 rooster tail after working the area for an hour.

I decided to start working my way back to the launch. Along the way, I pulled up two crab pots people had abandon. Both had small panfish and largemouth (small enough to enter and exit the pot on their own) in it. Seeing that I started casting a bass assassin tiny shad with a spinner on it. I got bumped twice, but no hookup. I took the spinner off it and just used the tiny shad. Bingo. Found some pretty white perch in shallow water. Caught 6 of them all 11" - 12" ish, one smaller 6" male perch, and had a really good thump, and brief hookup, with what felt like a much better perch then all the rest, but lost it. Rats .

No trout, but I was pleasantly surprised to find some good perch in the coastal bay area. I rarely fish for perch but they provided some nice little pullage on a mild, foogy winter day. Took 3 of them home for dinner.

Looks like it was a nice ending to a great day. Glad you hooked up!

Just another day in the sun...
      Gregory
      ​Ain't Misbehavin'
      2014 Pro Angler 12
      '

Comment

White perch IMO are an underrated fish. They put up a good fight on light tackle, are usually abundant, and are very tasty. They were all I caught for the first month of summer, as I couldn't really dial-in my trolling techniques/tackle for rockfish at that point. Though after cleaning probably 50 of them over the course of many trips, I started to only keep ones above 10". They're not the easiest to fillet (very scaly and bony), but the fillets are very tasty.

Comment

They are definitely amongst the tastiest fish in the Chesapeake. Yes they can be annoying to fillet. That's why I like to Masgouf them on the grill [emoji4]

This way I just keep the scales on and just split them open and easily scoop out the guts. Once cooked, the skin and bones come out without much effort.
          -Mustafa
          2016 Hobie Outback
          2012 Hobie Revolution 13
          "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Could not agree more- white perch are great on the table and on ul gear they are good fighters- problem I was having using UL was the damn keeper stripers like the same small baits the white perch do...so I put my ul gear up and just went with light spinning gear (2500 Shimano Stradics/Sustain on medium 7' Teramar SE rods with 10/12 # braid) light enough for white perch to be fun to catch but plenty of rod and reel for keeper stripers...and this past year was my best ever- got skunked one time...and most trips resulted in a completely full stringer of legal keepers- by mid July my wife cut me off- no more fish coming home with a completely full freezer- C&R was just as much, if not more fun...and white perch made up many bags of filets in my freezer...
            "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
            2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
            "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
            Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Thats a good winter trip right there!
              Ryan
              Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
              Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
                Could not agree more- white perch are great on the table and on ul gear they are good fighters- problem I was having using UL was the damn keeper stripers like the same small baits the white perch do...so I put my ul gear up and just went with light spinning gear (2500 Shimano Stradics/Sustain on medium 7' Teramar SE rods with 10/12 # braid) light enough for white perch to be fun to catch but plenty of rod and reel for keeper stripers...and this past year was my best ever- got skunked one time...and most trips resulted in a completely full stringer of legal keepers- by mid July my wife cut me off- no more fish coming home with a completely full freezer- C&R was just as much, if not more fun...and white perch made up many bags of filets in my freezer...
                Yeah I've heard from a few boaters that fishing last year for rockfish wasn't as good as previous years, but for me, it was excellent. I don't have any years of kayak fishing to compare it to, but for the years I've been out just messing around with my brother on his runabout, I know it was def more successful than that.

Comment

During the Curley's Marina White Perch Tournament in St. Mary's County I caught a 22 inch striper with a Mepps fire tiger spinner in 2 FOW along a grass bed early in the morning on UL spinning gear...6 # test monofilament...and later a 15 inch redfish...ended up taking third place in the kayak division with a five fish limit of White Perch that averaged 11 inches in length...our Snaggedline Bill Conley won the overall white perch tournament...but he fished from a boat...for me-the striped bass fishery was excellant last year...no other way to say it- could not have wished for better...it was just outstanding...
                  "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                  2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                  "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                  Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Originally posted by yakscientist View Post
                    White perch IMO are an underrated fish. They put up a good fight on light tackle, are usually abundant, and are very tasty. They're not the easiest to fillet (very scaly and bony), but the fillets are very tasty.
                    Underrated? Maybe. For me, there are just so many other options close by - drum, striper, tog, sheep, trout, cobia, blues, flounder, surf fishing - that it's hard for perch to get my attention when I get the chance to fish. I do enjoy fishing for them whenever I do though. Especially if they are averaging 11"

Originally posted by AbuMasgouf View Post
                    They are definitely amongst the tastiest fish in the Chesapeake. Yes they can be annoying to fillet. That's why I like to Masgouf them on the grill [emoji4]

This way I just keep the scales on and just split them open and easily scoop out the guts. Once cooked, the skin and bones come out without much effort.
                    I'm with you; they're best cooked whole. They're too small to cut the cheek and throat meat out of, but if you cook them whole, you can easily pick out all that meat that otherwise likely would of been thrown away if filleted.

Although, I'll scale them. That skin crisped up under the broiler after being brushed with olive oil and topped with coarse sea salt, pepper, parsley, and a touch of lemon juice is fantastic! I almost enjoy the skin more than the meat sometimes, haha!
                    Brian

Comment

Although, I'll scale them. That skin crisped up under the broiler after being brushed with olive oil and topped with coarse sea salt, pepper, parsley, and a touch of lemon juice is fantastic! I almost enjoy the skin more than the meat sometimes, haha!
                      LOL This is very true! I love to do that with tog especially. That fatty skin is sooooo good!
                      -Mustafa
                      2016 Hobie Outback
                      2012 Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

White perch are great targets. If you think they're fun on UL tackle, try them on a 4 wt. fly rod.

1. They're plentiful
                        2. Easy to catch
                        3. They're active at mid-day in the middle of summer -- although you would do well to target shady areas

A white perch was the very first fish I caught on an artificial lure many years ago. I used a Mepps spinner. Also, a white perch at Hackett Point was the very fish I caught in my kayak. I used a jig and Mister Twister for that one.

Although I release each of my white perch, it appears from the photos here that I am just delaying their eventual meeting with a frying pan or grill. They must be very tasty.
                        Mark
                        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by AbuMasgouf View Post
                          LOL This is very true! I love to do that with tog especially. That fatty skin is sooooo good!
                          How do you get the slime off the tog's skin? I've always taken the skin off because I was afraid I'd be eating slime, haha! They are the slipperiest dang fish out there!
                          Brian

Comment

How do you get the slime off the tog's skin? I've always taken the skin off because I was afraid I'd be eating slime, haha! They are the slipperiest dang fish out there!
                            Yes they are!
                            I ice the fish so that it's really rigid. Then I use a three sided plank and an off the shelf scaller to get the scales off. Doing that I get a lot of the slime and scales off. Then I hose it down and pat it with a towel. The outside becomes fairly dry.

I've also taken off the skin (if I chose to fillet) and fried it like salmon skin at a sushi restaurant. Man it's good!
                            -Mustafa
                            2016 Hobie Outback
                            2012 Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

Underrated? Maybe. For me, there are just so many other options close by - drum, striper, tog, sheep, trout, cobia, blues, flounder, surf fishing - that it's hard for perch to get my attention when I get the chance to fish. I do enjoy fishing for them whenever I do though. Especially if they are averaging 11"

I'm with you; they're best cooked whole. They're too small to cut the cheek and throat meat out of, but if you cook them whole, you can easily pick out all that meat that otherwise likely would of been thrown away if filleted.

I'm always interested in new-to-me cooking techniques...you scale them, gut them, and cook them whole in the oven? interesting. any other tips about this particular method?

Comment

Working...
                              X