Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AbuMasgouf View Post
    Yes they are!
    I ice the fish so that it's really rigid. Then I use a three sided plank and an off the shelf scaller to get the scales off. Doing that I get a lot of the slime and scales off. Then I hose it down and pat it with a towel. The outside becomes fairly dry.

I've also taken off the skin (if I chose to fillet) and fried it like salmon skin at a sushi restaurant. Man it's good!
    That's EXACTLY what I was thinking about, haha! Salmon skin sushi! Good stuff. I can't remember where I had it, it may have been Liquid Assets on 94th st. in OC, but I once had fried salmon skin chips as an appetizer. Absolutely the best!

I'll give the tog skin a try now that I know it's possible to remove enough of the slime from it. Thanks! I think I'm going to have to just show up at your place for dinner one time
    Brian

Comment

Originally posted by yakscientist View Post
      I'm always interested in new-to-me cooking techniques...you scale them, gut them, and cook them whole in the oven? interesting. any other tips about this particular method?

More or less that's all I did. Remove the gills as well. You could probably clip the pec fins off too if you wanted as they usually crisp to a char. Score the side of the fish vertically a couple times to help it cook evenly. A little brush of good olive oil on the sides and season. Bake, broil, grill, smoke, poach, steam.... options are unlimited. If all goes bad; pick the meat and make fish cakes out of it!
      Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Slobber Bob View Post
        That's EXACTLY what I was thinking about, haha! Salmon skin sushi! Good stuff. I can't remember where I had it, it may have been Liquid Assets on 94th st. in OC, but I once had fried salmon skin chips as an appetizer. Absolutely the best!

I'll give the tog skin a try now that I know it's possible to remove enough of the slime from it. Thanks! I think I'm going to have to just show up at your place for dinner one time
        You are welcome anytime bro! [emoji4]
        -Mustafa
        ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
        2016 Hobie Outback
        2012 Hobie Revolution 13
        "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Originally posted by AbuMasgouf View Post

Man, that looks amazing. I never keep perch as it seems like a pain to prep enough of them for a fish fry, but your way looks amazing and sounds a lot easier.
          Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
          Lime Slayer 10

Comment

Originally posted by bunnielab View Post
            Man, that looks amazing. I never keep perch as it seems like a pain to prep enough of them for a fish fry, but your way looks amazing and sounds a lot easier.
            Thanks bro [emoji4]

Side note, all I put on them is a little bit of olive oil and old bay seasoning or olive oil and BBQ rub. Any spices you like will do
            -Mustafa
            ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
            2016 Hobie Outback
            2012 Hobie Revolution 13
            "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Working...
            X