Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fly Tying: Joe Bruce to Demonstrate how to tie the Bullet Head Darter -- 11 February

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fly Tying: Joe Bruce to Demonstrate how to tie the Bullet Head Darter -- 11 February

Most fly anglers in the area know Joe Bruce, an excellent fisherman and fly tier.

Joe has created family of flies called the Bullet Head Darter that are tremendously effective in fresh and saltwater.

bullethead-pickerel-fly-8.gif

Joe is going to demonstrate how to tie the fly and its variations on Saturday, 11 February from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. at the clubhouse of the Free State Fly Fishers:

3789 Queen Anne Bridge Road
    Davidsonville, MD 21045

https://www.facebook.com/FSFFMD

This is a great opportunity to learn how to tie a remarkable fly with an ever-growing species count.

Please join us.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Mark -

That is the same day as the Tri-State Marine fishing flea market. I will have a table there and cannot come to Joe's demo. Others can combine both stops in a single trip.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
      Mark -

That is the same day as the Tri-State Marine fishing flea market. I will have a table there and cannot come to Joe's demo. Others can combine both stops in a single trip.
      It will be well worth the effort for those who do.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Comment

It’s good to see posts about fly fishing and fly tying have increased on Snaggedline. The authors of those posts have undoubtedly discovered that a kayak offers outstanding access to many local tidal and freshwater areas ideal for tossing a fly.

When I fly fish from my plastic boat, I view my kayak as an extension of my waders, taking me places I could not reach on foot. My kayak and my flyrod are perfect complements to each other.

I’m writing today to remind you that an excellent opportunity exists for fly tyers to learn first-hand how to tie the Bullet Head Darter family of flies from the creator of the fly himself, Joe Bruce.

Joe will be at the clubhouse of the Free State Fly Fishers between 9:00 a.m. and noon on Saturday 11 February to demonstrate how to tie this very productive fly and to discuss how to use it.

Admission is free.

The address is: 3789 Queen Anne Bridge Road, Davidsonville, MD 21035

Here is the link to the FSFF Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/FSFFMD

And here is the link to Joe Bruce’s Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/joe.bruce.9887

I look forward to seeing you on the 11th.

Thank you.
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Comment

A final reminder here of this Saturday's fly tying demonstration by Joe Bruce at the Free State Fly Fisher's clubhouse in Davidsonville.

Please join us: https://www.facebook.com/FSFFMD/

You can also visit John Veil who will be about 15 miles away at the Tri State Marine Fishing Flea Market.

http://www.snaggedline.com/showthrea...ket-Sat-Feb-11

That's two good indoor events for anglers in the same general area on one day.
          Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Comment

Thanks Mark. I'll be at the Joe Bruce demo and I'm bringing a friend. My friend apparently used to visit Joe's shop before it closed. I'm looking forward to it.

Comment

Originally posted by DanMarino View Post
              Thanks Mark. I'll be at the Joe Bruce demo and I'm bringing a friend. My friend apparently used to visit Joe's shop before it closed. I'm looking forward to it.
              Excellent. I'll see you there.

I bought my first two fly rods (St. Croix Legends) at Joe's shop back in the early 90s.

I still use them. In fact, I finally broke my 2017 skunk with one of them three days ago in Tuckahoe Creek:

C.jpg

Joe also gave me my first tying lessons.
              Mark
              Pasadena, MD

Comment

Cool pickerel Mark. What fly did it eat?

Comment

A Clouser Minnow -- Yellow over white with a little crystal flash in the middle, size 2 hook.
                  Mark
                  Pasadena, MD

Comment

I plan to be there

Comment

Originally posted by Memory Maker View Post
                      I plan to be there
                      Thank you very much!
                      Mark
                      Pasadena, MD

Comment

You guys missed a GREAT demo ........ Joe is always full of great tying tips and this was full of them. Well worth the hour drive.

Comment

Originally posted by Memory Maker View Post
                          You guys missed a GREAT demo ........ Joe is always full of great tying tips and this was full of them. Well worth the hour drive.
                          It was indeed a terrific event. Thanks to Snaggedliners Memory Maker, Dan Marino and his friend Chuck for coming to the FSFF clubhouse for today's session. Twenty folks in all got an excellent demonstration from Joe Bruce in tying the Bullet Head Darter in its many variations. Plus they received great general tying and fishing tips from Joe. And of course, a special thank you to Joe Bruce for sharing his time, talent and ample angling knowledge with us.

P1020496.jpg P1020500.jpg P1020498.jpg P1020501.jpg
                          Mark
                          Pasadena, MD

Comment

I was sooooo impressed with the Icelandic sheep hair that I went home and bought a whole rug. Soon I will have a lifetime supply.

Comment

Memory Maker, please let me know how the rug works out. I might want to do the same purchase.

Comment

Working...
                              X