Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone using a late-model Subaru to cartop your Hobie?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone using a late-model Subaru to cartop your Hobie?

I am replacing my VW diesel & looking to speak w/ peeps who are cartopping
    using a Forester, Outback, or Crosstrek. Thx in advance.

Yes, soon. I'm tired of trailering my PA12. Aside from the convenience of loading and unloading I've disliked nearly everything about my trailer.

I purchased a bed extender and Rhino Rack Nautic 570s for my 2016 Forester. I'll let you know how it goes.
    I need a good paddling

Motorized 2014 Hobie Pro Angler 12
    Garmin Echomap 93sv
    RIP, favorite St. Croix Rod

Comment

I had two Subaru. Easiest car to load a kayak. It's about as low as they get, no need to military press the yak over your head like most SUV's, it is basically at shoulder level. Also had two yaks on it many times on the factory bars.
      Jay

10' Green Slayer
      13’ Red Slayer

Comment

Cartop a Revo-11 on a '08 outback. Whole deal goes right into my garage and neatly fits into my ceiling hangers. Not too bad on the back.

On the new Subaru Outbacks there is a different rail system that swings out from the side. Not sure what the weight allowance is. Should be easy to check. Also, you're gonna want to check the roof rack allowances for the Cross trek and Forester. I doubt you would want to tote a PA12 or 14 on those racks. Probably ok for an outback or revo 13/11

Comment

Originally posted by hookmeup View Post
          I doubt you would want to tote a PA12 or 14 on those racks. Probably ok for an outback or revo 13/11
          Those boats are a little over a hundred pounds, and I'm sure they'd be fine on a roof rack. As long as everything is tied down to minimize load shifting I can't see a problem. The real question is about how you get them up there without hurting yourself or a bystander.

I initially cartopped my PA12, then went to a trailer, and now I'm moving back to cartopping it. The second time around it should be somewhat easier since I'll be using a Hobie Trax 2 cart (instead of a homemade PVC cart) and a bed extender (instead of precariously balanced on the top of the tailgate light).
          I need a good paddling

Garmin Echomap 93sv

Comment

Thx for the input guys. When you dont have this vehicle you dont bother about who is using a Subaru.
            Now that I'm thinking about it I wanted some real experienced info which helps solidify my plans. I cartop an Outback
            But the Forester & Crosstrek are less than the Subaru Outback & the racks are all different, w/ the Outback's crossbars
            Being hidden within the side rails when not in use, & they swing across when you wish to use them.... But I wouldnt be able
            To use my Yakima load-assist unless I use my own crossbars & buy something that attaches them to the factory side rails.
            If I always have company when launching it wouldnt even matter but often I am flying solo & its always windy which makes benchpressing my Outback onto the crossbars tricky, easier w/ the load assist. I'll be dreaming about this tonight.

Comment

Newer model outback ('09 and after) has a roof rack weight limit of 150 #. Forester is 140#. Crosstrek is 150# including the roof rack you install.

Comment

Something that may help you roll it on top of your car is; http://www.oakorchardcanoe.com/suvroller.php
                Last edited by Oldbayrunner; 01-19-2017, 07:39 AM.

Comment

i car top a revo on an impreza sport, which is a lowered crosstrek basically, for long trips. almost 3 times the gas mileage than my truck, even with it on the roof. no problems on OEM bars and foam pads, with multiple trips to NH.
                  sigpic

Comment

I put my ascend fs12t on my crosstrek directly on the factory bars. The weight limit is 150. I have not had any issues.
                    2016 Ascend FS12T
                    Pelican Apex 100

Comment

I put my Hobie Outback on my 2014 Subaru Crosstrek. No issues and I DSCN0230.jpgDSCN0238.jpgDSCN0232.jpgDSCN0233.jpg use the Rhino Rack-T-Loader, that goes in the trailer hitch to load and unload. Get great mileage with the CrossTrek even with the Yak up there.

Yak67

2016 Hobie Outback Le#217
                      2017 Hobie PA-12 Cam0

Comment

Here's my 2016 Forester with a PA12 loaded on top. After a couple years of trailering, I've gone back to cartopping. Don't want to worry about trailer lights, hub bearings, hitch pins, registration, taxes, extra tolls, backing up or parking issues ever again.

I I use a bed extender in the vertical position with Rhino Rack Nautic 570 saddles. Straps around the rack as well as the bed extender...that sucker won't budge.

I need a good paddling

Garmin Echomap 93sv

Comment

pretty cool idea with the hitch extender to the get that ship on the roof!
                          sigpic

Comment

I car topped my Ride 115 when I had a 2016 Forester. I used it with Thule crossbars and a Thule Hullavator. In my opinion that was the easiest way to load/unload a kayak other than sliding it into the bed of a truck. It was pricey, but well worth it. I've since traded the Subaru for a 2014 Ram 1500 since my commute changed from 120 miles/day to 3 miles/day.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
                            Jayce
                            2017 Ivory Hobie Pro Angler 12 "The Big Easy"
                            2015 Flint Camo Wilderness Systems Ride 115X Max Angler

Comment

pretty sure i saw you on 66 today, noticed the oddly positioned kayak holders, then saw a mirage drive in the back, haha

Originally posted by Huntrava View Post
                              Here's my 2016 Forester with a PA12 loaded on top. After a couple years of trailering, I've gone back to cartopping. Don't want to worry about trailer lights, hub bearings, hitch pins, registration, taxes, extra tolls, backing up or parking issues ever again.

I I use a bed extender in the vertical position with Rhino Rack Nautic 570 saddles. Straps around the rack as well as the bed extender...that sucker won't budge.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X