Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Found a hobie PA out on the water

Screen Shot 2017-01-17 at 2.18.03 PM.jpg

I headed down to my old grounds a couple of weekends ago and found a hobie washed up into some grassy area, the bow was pointing straight up. I tried to move it but it was 2/3 full of water. so i tied up my anchor line and headed to the shore line. i pulled the kayak in and called the saint inigoes coast guard. they immediately dispatched their search and rescue boat to scout the area for a possible man overboard. i told them i needed to head out so i could make it in time to pick up my daughter from school. I loaded both the hobie and my native in my truck and gave them my contact info. about 2 hrs later, i receive a phone call from a person whom claims the kayak was his. i told him my address and waited for him. at first, he seemed sketchy. I asked him to show me a picture of him in the kayak as proof of ownership since there was only one thing to distinguish the kayak. the young guy had no pictures! i thought to myself, there is no way. my next step was to get in contact with hobie and ask them to run the hull numbers. I explained to the guy that i just didnt want to hand over a very expensive kayak without any type of proof. I kid you not, he says "i know, these are about $1,500.00"!. At this point i gave up, how can one expect to believe you after devaluing a hobie like that. I did not know what else to do.

there was only one other way. I asked him what was in the front hatch. if the kayak really belonged to him, he would know since i didnt tell anyone. sure enough, he told me the brand and color of a jacket that was stored in there. so i unlocked the cord and helped him load it onto his truck. he stated he left it on his beach and it drifted away, he does not use it for fishing. he uses it to scout areas for ducks. it was a gift to him from his grandfather, so he had no clue of the price point. the kayak ended up drifting away 5 miles or so from the beach. the coast guard found him searching for the kayak on his canoe, and after describing the kayak, they gave him my info.

BTW, the guy never said thanks.
    Native Watercraft Pro Staff
    2016 Native Watercraft Slayer Propel 13 Lizard Lick

2016 CCA MD "BLUE CAT" Tournament 2nd place
    33rd MSSA "THE CHAMPIONSHIP" Tournament 1st place
    2016 Curley's White Perch Tournament 1st place

Good work on the retrieval and conscientious hand off to him. It is a shame that the guy was not more grateful.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

You handled the situation, from start to finish, very responsibly. Thank you for your honesty and concern for another life. 🍻🍻

If I were this kid, I'd be more than thankful and try to repay you for what you did.

Comment

Kids sure are stupid. You did a good thing though D3NAL1!

Comment

He probably doesn't change the oil in the car his grandfather gave him either...

Your good deed is only outweighed by his sense of entitlement.
          Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
          Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
          Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Good job. You done right!

Comment

Good karma for you, bad karma for him.
              2015 Hobie Outback
              2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

yeah....Entitled a bit. How dare you give him so much trouble getting his kayak back.

Good grief. It really makes you wonder if some people appreciate anything. You could have had a lot of fun with him and say that you decided to file for salvage rights under maritime law and you were going to keep the yak. LOL

At least they didn't find the owner in the water or even worse yet, never find the owner.

Comment

Good on you for returning it.

I'm surprised the authorities let you take it. You would think they would have taken possession of it. Maybe I'm wrong on the rules of finders keepers?
                  Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                    He probably doesn't change the oil in the car his grandfather gave him either...
                    Mark, you made me laugh at that one.

Comment

Good Karma will always find its way to come back to you

Props on a good deed well done, it's unfortunate he was not more grateful.
                      Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Well done.....you will now find the elusive species of fish you were looking for
                        due to your good deed.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post

Your good deed is only outweighed by his sense of entitlement.
                          This made me laugh too hard.
                          Tarpon 120, no electronics, no pedals.
                          Tarpon 100, the karma boat.

Comment

Great effort on your part
                            sigpic

Comment

Great job! Good looking out for your fellow boater.
                              Tight lines
                              Hobie Ivory Dune Outback
                              Hobie Caribbean Blue Sport
                              Wilderness Red Tsunami 145
                              Wilderness Green "Warhorse" Tarpon 160

Comment

Working...
                              X