No announcement yet.

Success with Flouro Leaders?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One thing about the loop knot...it can break, perhaps more than knots that cinch down on the hook.

The hook's eye slides within the loop, which of course is the intent of the knot -- a free swinging lure or fly.

Abrasion can occur in the loop as the metal hook rubs against the leader under tension.

It pays to check the knot periodically during your sessions on the water and retie at the first sign of weakness.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Thank you all for your advice. The loop knot sounds like a good idea, as I like the idea of the hook swinging freely. I would think that a TA clip would produce the same effect without the worry of the loop breaking.
      Joe

2020 Vibe Shearwater 125

Comment

Originally posted by Backdoc View Post
        I have tried the Alberto knot and lost a $30 custom mahogany plug on the second cast. There is a use for an Alberto but not when casting and pulling the knot through the eyes.
        I haven't found that to be my experience. I cast and reel the Alberto knot through my guides all the time. Anywhere from knots tied with 15# - 50# mono passing through. As long as you clip the tag end down plush, it doesn't seem to be an issue. As far as losing the plug, it sounds like you tied a bad knot.

But there is no right knot for everybody. To the OP - use a knot you can reliably tie in the dark, while on the water, and you'll be good to go.
        Last edited by Slobber Bob; 01-18-2017, 10:12 AM.
        Brian

Comment

Originally posted by rugbyfish View Post
          I would think that a TA clip would produce the same effect without the worry of the loop breaking.
          My thoughts exactly. And you don't have to re-tie each tie to change lures or have to redo your leader after you've tied too many knots shortening your leader down too much. The only advantage I possibly see with the loop knot is less terminal tackle in super clear water or for really finicky fish.
          Brian

Comment

To me, the most of fish aren't leader shy. I am not a freshwater angler, I am a saltwater angler. So I don't speak for freshwater fishing. I use mono line leader because of the same reasons other explained. I use swivels for fast connection to lures almost all the time. Also I use fishing lures that don't resemble real fish at all. When I need an abrasion resistant leader, I use mono leader over Fluoro (when tautog/sheepshead fishing). Mono takes abrasion better than Fluoro when fishing structures, such as bridge pilings and rock piles with barnacles. I think I had enough real fishing experience in the leader abrasion resistance testing.

Mono VS Fluoro (knot strength):
            My tests showed that knot strength of mono lines decreased when they were soaked over a day while Fluoro didn't. For the dry lines, the knot strength of Fluoro was slightly better than Mono. But mono was soaked a day, the knot strengths of mono drops from 95-105 % to 65-70% of the rates of the mono lines. So my rule is replacing the mono line after each fishing, or using thicker mono line.

Mono VS Fluoro (visibility):
            Since my leaders are between 5" and 5' depending on fish and the locations, Stretches of leaders doesn't matter.
            I saw mono and fluro lines under the water many times when I was underwater. I thought Fluoro was near invisible. But I could see both mono and Fluoro clearly underwaster. There was no difference. So one day I did simple visibility test using a cup at home.

Here is the simple visibility test:

My conclusion for my fishing:
            I don't buy Fluoro anymore. I replace mono leader often while fishing

Joe
            Fish like there's no tomorrow.
            Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
            https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
              This is how I tie it.

http://www.fishing-khaolak.com/knots...oop_steps.html

There are other ways to tie it that some find easier. But I like the above method.

For leaders, I've used flouro and mono here in the Bay for trolling and casting and honestly I could not tell a difference between the two in effectiveness.
              Thanks Mark! I am looking forward to testing this out.
              J

Comment

I like the TA clips, or any of the speed clips for the surf, but for the bay lures I find them too big. Also for some of top water lures, where I swap out the most frequently, I find them difficult to link the ring, especially the cupped lipped lures. I have gone back to Snap clips. They are light weight and semi open loop. Not the strongest but they haven't opene yet.
                Last edited by summersoff; 01-18-2017, 05:29 PM.
                Jay

10' Green Slayer
                13’ Red Slayer

Comment

20# sufix 832 or 10# fireline to mono leader - anywhere from 20-40# depending on trolling/jigging thru rocky areas. Double uni connnection.

Loop knot works for larger connections but TA clips Are easier for switching out. Small jigheads 1/2 oz and below are directly tied.

Comment

Working...
                  X