Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Two Trips in 2017 (CBBT and Lake Anna)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Two Trips in 2017 (CBBT and Lake Anna)

B]First trip: CBBT (Jan 10, 2017)[/B]
    I felt that I had to fish for tog one more time. The weather had been extremely bad for fishing in VA water. It had been cold and very windy. I saw a window of opportunity for kayak-fishing at CBBT finally.
    I knew the water in the mouth of Chesapeake Bay was too cold (40-41 F) - way lower than 45 F (my personal cold water temp limit for togging). But the day would be a very calm day. And the time of the slack tides was in the middle of the 6 hour fishing I planned.
    The residential roads were covered with packed snow in VA Beach. Snow and cold weather wasn't common in VA Beach. I got skunked. I had zero bite. I captured scenes of snow on the street, launch ramp, bridge pilings and First Island for the fishing log:

Fishing Log:

Thanks
    Joe
    Last edited by ComeOnFish; 01-16-2017, 07:37 PM.
    Fish like there's no tomorrow.
    Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Second Trip: Lake Anna, VA (Dike 3 cold side)

I was done with saltwater fishing until March or until the saltwater temp reaches 45 F. After getting skunked on the first day of fishing in 2017, few days ago, I was itching to catch some fish. So I went to Lake Anna for stripers. I picked Dike 3 cold side because catching was guaranteed there in the past.
    I caught several stripers @16-20”. I may try the mid-lake for bigger stripers if the water temp in the mid-lake is above 42 F.

Added on Jan 18 - A half of stripers caught during last two trips (December and January) were hybrid stripers. I heard that hybrid stripers introduced in spring 2014. I am excited about the hybrid stripers because they grow faster than striped bass.

Fishing Log:

Thanks
    Joe
    Last edited by ComeOnFish; 01-18-2017, 05:21 AM.
    Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)

Comment

Nice work Joe! I've been wanting to fish Lake Anna, but just never seem to get out there.
      -Jon
      Revo 13

Comment

Nice vid Joe! Can you let me know where you launch? I'm about 10 mins away from Lake Anna now and it would make a good spot to scratch my itch when I can't get to the salt!

Comment

Sorry Mytmouse. I haven't been checking the forum.

The address of Dike 3 launch:
          No cart needed.
          3611 Moody Town Rd, Bumpass, VA 23024.

Joe

Comment

NP Joe! Thanks for the info!

Comment

Originally posted by mytmouse View Post
              NP Joe! Thanks for the info!
              If you don't mind driving more. CBBT is ready now and Rudee will be ready for puppies/specks in 2/3 weeks this year earlier than usual. The waters have been warmer this year

Joe

Comment

I was going to try for Tog last Saturday at Cape Henlopen But with wind gusts to 30 I decided against it.

Comment

Originally posted by mike o View Post
                  I was going to try for Tog last Saturday at Cape Henlopen But with wind gusts to 30 I decided against it.
                  CHSP was my target for a week before the last Sunday. The water temp had been 45 F for several days which was promising. But Saturday was too windy, and Sunday looked doable. But the water temp dropped by 4 degrees because of the 3 cold days. I am waiting for the water temp climbs backup to 46 F. We need a 3-4 days of 55-70F.

CBBT was too windy last weekend. Kipto was do-able. But I went to Rudee for Puppy Drum. I caught one 12" speck and a seagull. The water temp dropped by 5+ degrees in Rudee. It was 51-56 F. But after three cold days, the water temp was 46 F. Rudee also needs 3-4 warm days for Puppies.

Joe

Joe

Joe

Comment

Originally posted by ComeOnFish View Post
                    If you don't mind driving more. CBBT is ready now and Rudee will be ready for puppies/specks in 2/3 weeks this year earlier than usual. The waters have been warmer this year

Joe
                    Joe that was my plan this weekend... until I looked at the forecast! LOL

Comment

My plan for this coming weekend:

CBBT and Kipto will be OK for togging. I already caught 10 togs on Feb 24th this year. The water temp has been holding up unlike CHSP despite the cold days we had.

Rudee water will be still too cold. - I fished Rudee 3 times this year. I saw only 2 keeper puppies caught by a boater on a warm day when the water temp was 51-56 F depending on the location. I caught 4 small specks and two small stripers

CHSP - The water temp dropped from 45 F to 41 F. Today it was 43 F - 45 F. I think I will hit CHSP to see if togs started biting. I think there will be few bites.

Joe

Comment

Originally posted by mytmouse View Post
                        Joe that was my plan this weekend... until I looked at the forecast! LOL
                        Mytmouse am heading down to the farm this weekend. We can hookup.I am 20 minutes from lake Anna.
                        2012 hobie outback
                        2016 feelfree lure 11.5

Comment

Originally posted by ComeOnFish View Post
                          My plan for this coming weekend:

CBBT and Kipto will be OK for togging. I already caught 10 togs on Feb 24th this year. The water temp has been holding up unlike CHSP despite the cold days we had.

Rudee water will be still too cold. - I fished Rudee 3 times this year. I saw only 2 keeper puppies caught by a boater on a warm day when the water temp was 51-56 F depending on the location. I caught 4 small specks and two small stripers

CHSP - The water temp dropped from 45 F to 41 F. Today it was 43 F - 45 F. I think I will hit CHSP to see if togs started biting. I think there will be few bites.

Joe
                          Dress warm and goodluck! The forecast says its going to be cold and blowing on the Shore this weekend.
                          Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Slobber Bob View Post
                            Dress warm and goodluck! The forecast says its going to be cold and blowing on the Shore this weekend.
                            Any OCI report?

The water temp on a CHSP Buoy is 46 F now. As long as the water temp is 45-46F and the wind direction is between WNW and SSE, I think I can fish the inner wall. I hope the wind is below 12 knots.
                            If not I am staying home.

Joe

Comment

No, I haven't had time to try for tog at all lately. I saw some guys trying from land one of those warm days in Feb. as I drive by, but didn't have time to stop and see if they'd been successful or not. When I've had the chance to get out this year it's been during dark so no tog bite. I did good with stripers the other week behind OC up to 26" before the sun came up. That's all I have for ya....

I'd like to try tog one day though. Maybe a sunny afternoon, outgoing tide. Water should be warmer. I did see sand fleas are starting to emerge from the depths.
                              Brian

Comment

Working...
                              X