Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Two Trips in 2017 (CBBT and Lake Anna)

Default First Two Trips in 2017 (CBBT and Lake Anna)

B]First trip: CBBT (Jan 10, 2017)[/B]
    I felt that I had to fish for tog one more time. The weather had been extremely bad for fishing in VA water. It had been cold and very windy. I saw a window of opportunity for kayak-fishing at CBBT finally.
    I knew the water in the mouth of Chesapeake Bay was too cold (40-41 F) - way lower than 45 F (my personal cold water temp limit for togging). But the day would be a very calm day. And the time of the slack tides was in the middle of the 6 hour fishing I planned.
    The residential roads were covered with packed snow in VA Beach. Snow and cold weather wasn't common in VA Beach. I got skunked. I had zero bite. I captured scenes of snow on the street, launch ramp, bridge pilings and First Island for the fishing log:

Fishing Log:

Thanks
    Joe
    Last edited by ComeOnFish; 01-16-2017 at 07:37 PM.
    Fish like there's no tomorrow.

Second Trip: Lake Anna, VA (Dike 3 cold side)

I was done with saltwater fishing until March or until the saltwater temp reaches 45 F. After getting skunked on the first day of fishing in 2017, few days ago, I was itching to catch some fish. So I went to Lake Anna for stripers. I picked Dike 3 cold side because catching was guaranteed there in the past.
    I caught several stripers @16-20”. I may try the mid-lake for bigger stripers if the water temp in the mid-lake is above 42 F.

Added on Jan 18 - A half of stripers caught during last two trips (December and January) were hybrid stripers. I heard that hybrid stripers introduced in spring 2014. I am excited about the hybrid stripers because they grow faster than striped bass.

Fishing Log:

Thanks
    Joe
    Last edited by ComeOnFish; 01-18-2017 at 05:21 AM.

Nice work Joe! I've been wanting to fish Lake Anna, but just never seem to get out there.
    -Jon
    Revo 13
    Forest Camo Jackson Cuda 14

Nice vid Joe! Can you let me know where you launch? I'm about 10 mins away from Lake Anna now and it would make a good spot to scratch my itch when I can't get to the salt!

Sorry Mytmouse. I haven't been checking the forum.

The address of Dike 3 launch:
    No cart needed.
    3611 Moody Town Rd, Bumpass, VA 23024.

Joe

NP Joe! Thanks for the info!

Quote Originally Posted by mytmouse View Post
    NP Joe! Thanks for the info!
    If you don't mind driving more. CBBT is ready now and Rudee will be ready for puppies/specks in 2/3 weeks this year earlier than usual. The waters have been warmer this year

Joe

I was going to try for Tog last Saturday at Cape Henlopen But with wind gusts to 30 I decided against it.

Quote Originally Posted by mike o View Post
    I was going to try for Tog last Saturday at Cape Henlopen But with wind gusts to 30 I decided against it.
    CHSP was my target for a week before the last Sunday. The water temp had been 45 F for several days which was promising. But Saturday was too windy, and Sunday looked doable. But the water temp dropped by 4 degrees because of the 3 cold days. I am waiting for the water temp climbs backup to 46 F. We need a 3-4 days of 55-70F.

CBBT was too windy last weekend. Kipto was do-able. But I went to Rudee for Puppy Drum. I caught one 12" speck and a seagull. The water temp dropped by 5+ degrees in Rudee. It was 51-56 F. But after three cold days, the water temp was 46 F. Rudee also needs 3-4 warm days for Puppies.

Joe

Joe

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by ComeOnFish View Post
    If you don't mind driving more. CBBT is ready now and Rudee will be ready for puppies/specks in 2/3 weeks this year earlier than usual. The waters have been warmer this year

Joe
    Joe that was my plan this weekend... until I looked at the forecast! LOL