Smallest kayak for CBBT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smallest kayak for CBBT

Smallest kayak for CBBT recommendations for cheap kayak without breaking the bank for fishing the bay

I have never fished the CBBT but, I can say that it is easier if you let us know what your budget is.

If you are on a budget and want a lot of bang for your buck you can look for used kayaks. Another thought is to look at the Vibe Sea Ghost 130. I just bought one and it is impressive what it has on it straight from the factory. http://vibekayaks.com/collections/ka...-kayak-package

Comment

Expect to spend another 30-50% for incidental equipment such as a paddle, PFD and other essentials.

Comment

It saved money getting a paddle with the yak like Vibe does. Still, the advice of spending to outfit is right. I just bought my Seaghost and even though I had some stuff on hand I have put a lot into a cart and other stuff.

Comment

I think we covered this a few years ago but my recommendation is a 12ft minimum for open water. There are a few 10 footers you could get away with that track decently but I wouldn't want to paddle those a long distance. It's 3+ miles to the first island + current + paddling in place to hold you near structure. A short kayak does not track well and you'll expend a lot more energy than a more efficient / longer boat. Also, in that big water you really should be in a sit on top that has unobstructed scuppers (pull the plugs out) in case you take a wave over the side. Otherwise you could swamp and get washed out or flip. You could fish a sit inside but you'd need a skirt and pump and it will limit the amount of gear you can effectively bring. All kayaks have trade offs...
          Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
          Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
          https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

The Vibe SG 130 comes with a rudder, paddle, transducer scupper, plus rails for mounting stuff for well under $1,000. I love my SG. With that said I do have a trolling motor for on the bay days. I like to fish, not paddle.
            2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

Question

Do you have to register the kayak if you use a trolling motor?

Comment

Yes, In Maryland. Any kind of mechanical / electrical propulsion is required to register your Yak. Check the DNR website for the regs. It's really cheap though, like $8 bucks a year.

Yak67
                2017 Hobie PA-12 Camo
                2016 Hobie Outback LE#217

Comment

Registration in MD for a kayak with a trolling motor requires the certificate of origin, hull number and bill of sale. The fees are $2.00 for title, $24.00 registration fee and 5% tax on the purchased price. Currently the registration one receives is a 2 yr registration and no fee registration after that.

Comment

It's same in Delaware but no tax
                    Red Hobie outback
                    Yellow Hobie outback

Jeff

Comment

Working...
                    X