Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beechwood Park -- Yes, there are fish present.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beechwood Park -- Yes, there are fish present.

John Rentch and I visited the upper Magothy this morning.

For those of you interested in an exciting post with lots of catches chronicled and good advice on how you can do the same in your kayak, you can click off of this thread right now. We were fishless. I remain fishless for 2017.

However there are fish at Beechwood.

These shore anglers were catching white and yellow perch occasionally.

P1010464.jpg P1010486.jpg

Note I didn't see their catches up close but I saw a few fish pulled in and I could hear the anglers' conversations carrying over the water. They were fishing with bobbers and bait. John and I were using lures and flies and we caught nothing.

We headed away from the successful anglers upriver against a stiff wind.

P1010465.jpg

As we got farther upstream the effects of a low tide and strong outgoing wind revealed their effects:

P1010467.jpg P1010474.jpg P1010477.jpg

We actually bottomed out. So we returned to deeper water near the launch and cast around for some fish. No pickerels (what's new?) and no perch for us. We called it a day after 2.5 hours.

I threw a chartreuse jig spinner on my spinning rod and a yellow over white Clouser on intermediate fly line. Not even a bump. This was my second fishless outing of the year. I had similar results with the same techniques at Wye Mills Lake 9 days ago.

As we were packing to leave, a shore angler told us a story of the proverbial big one that got away -- a large striper that overpowered his small jig.

So if you're willing to stand in cold water near the shore at Beechwood and throw bait under a bobber, you might actually enjoy the object of our pursuit. Our kayaks and chosen lures gave us no advantage today.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

At least it was a nice time on the water, better than working.
    John Rentch
    Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
    Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Lotta that going around....
      Bruce

Hobie PA 14
      Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

As someone who has worked every day other than Xmas eve and day since Dec 15th, I would happily spend a few hours casting but not catching. The next time my wife takes a bath I might throw a jig at her just to wet a line.
        Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
        Lime Slayer 10

Comment

Originally posted by bunnielab View Post
          As someone who has worked every day other than Xmas eve and day since Dec 15th, I would happily spend a few hours casting but not catching. The next time my wife takes a bath I might throw a jig at her just to wet a line.
          Drew,

Make sure you de-barb the hook.

It makes the release much easier.
          Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Comment

What is the creel limit on wet and mad wives?
            John Veil
            Annapolis
            Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I was kidding about the jig but I did hit her with a hookless senko I was pitching around the house one rainy day. I was trying to land it in the pocket of her robe, but hit a little too high and had to go to my room for a bit.

I am going to buy a nice telescoping rod soon so I can bring it to work, I find casting around very relaxing while on long conference calls. I keep telling myself the more I work now the less I have to in the spring, but it only helps so much.
              Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
              Lime Slayer 10

Comment

Hmmm....it did not "get away". I carefully kept it in the water and it was gently released. Using a small jig and bobber going after perch, I thought I snagged the line again on a submerged log, I was very surprised when the log started to take line !!!

IMG_2018.jpg

IMG_2038.jpg

Next time I am bringing my kayak.

It was a nice day! The bay always provides surprises, from this greater than 30 inch rockfish to dolphins in the Rhode River !!!

P.S. Mark - I was taking pictures of the area. If you want a picture of you in the kayak I can post here if you want.
                Last edited by Wt541; 01-14-2017, 07:38 AM.

Comment

I looked at the park last spring but I still haven't gotten a cart to portage down the hill

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I was kidding about the jig but I did hit her with a hookless senko I was pitching around the house one rainy day. I was trying to land it in the pocket of her robe, but hit a little too high and had to go to my room for a bit.
                    When I get the winter fishing "Jones" I tie a hookless lure on a little three foot rod and go "cat fishing." My 15 pound orange tabby can take a lot of drag!

Comment

Haha!! I love everything about this thread!!! 🍻🍻

Comment

Originally posted by Wt541 View Post
                        Hmmm....it did not "get away". I carefully kept it in the water and it was gently released. Using a small jig and bobber going after perch, I thought I snagged the line again on a submersed log, I was very surprised when the log started to take line !!!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20777[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20778[/ATTACH]

Next time I am bringing my kayak.

It was a nice day! The bay always provides surprises, from this greater than 30 inch rockfish to dolphins in the Rhode River !!!

P.S. Mark - I was taking pictures of the area. If you want a picture of you in the kayak I can post here if you want.
                        I stand corrected. Thank you. Your post is actual proof that there were fish at Beechwood, big fish at that, but none on the end of my line!

Yes, please do bring your kayak next time. Perhaps we can link up and explore the area. I caught some nice fish at Beechwood last summer and I believe it holds lots of potential. But that hill on the return trip is trying. As I recall it's not as steep on the return when you actually catch fish.

And sure ... if you have a shot of me in my kayak, please feel free to post. I kept the wet side down all day. It should be a good photo.
                        Mark
                        Pasadena, MD

Comment

I think you were right, now that I look closer it was a log!

IMG_2017.jpg

Comment

A lost U-Boat?
                            Mark
                            Pasadena, MD

Comment

Yes a good place to fish but needs some improvement to the launch, can't have everything I guess.

Comment

Working...
                              X